Night photography

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
Yesterday evening, I tried Night Safari and found out that it is so dark!!! Even setting the ISO at 3200 didn't help when the animal is not close to any artificial lighting.

By slowing the speed don't work as the animal will not stay till the shutter closed. What is the best way to take such photographs?

Yesterday evening, I tried Night Safari and found out that it is so dark!!! Even setting the ISO at 3200 didn't help when the animal is not close to any artificial lighting.

By slowing the speed don't work as the animal will not stay till the shutter closed. What is the best way to take such photographs?

my advice dun bother shooting.. you will not be able to achieve what you want.

first: you are not allowed to use flash, anyway by using flash you scare the hell out of these animals or even anger them
second: the place is build in such a way that it caters to these animals thus no lights. This boils back down to my first point.

just go there enjoy ^^. if you really wan to shoot these animals, i suggest you shoot at the Zoo during broad daylight.. :angel:

using ISO monsters like D700 or D3s + prime lens like 85mm F1.4. ISO expected to be 6400 and above.

If you don't have such equipments. Forget about taking pictures and enjoy the time you are there.

using ISO monsters like D700 or D3s + prime lens like 85mm F1.4. ISO expected to be 6400 and above.

If you don't have such equipments. Forget about taking pictures and enjoy the time you are there.

I don't think 85mm will reach the animals. Last time i was using 70-300mm on my 1.5x crop D80 and it's only just enough for the medium-sized animals.

I managed some decent shots of the sleeping animals at ISO800, forget about the moving ones and just enjoy yourself:)

Yesterday evening, I tried Night Safari and found out that it is so dark!!!
Congratulations! :bsmilie: Doesn't the name and time hints something?

I tried, f2.8 on 5dmk2, noise is ok but still very dark at ISO6400, it didn't help. Best is to just enjoy. :D

D3s 300mm 2.8 Lens ISO 12800 :cool:

Ok now please go buy the above equipment to boost our economy :heart:

The consolation here is that it is not my skill but the equipment :dunno: I did got a few shots but surely not up to mark. Will try some shots in the day. Frankly, I have problem locating the animal even with my naked eyes :bsmilie:

The consolation here is that it is not my skill but the equipment :dunno: I did got a few shots but surely not up to mark. Will try some shots in the day. Frankly, I have problem locating the animal even with my naked eyes :bsmilie:

You might want to try this as well. ;)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1252691436.html

From Wikipedia:
The word photography is based on the Greek φῶς (photos) "light" and γραφή (graphé) "representation by means of lines" or "drawing", together meaning "drawing with light".
The absence of main ingredient makes it somewhat useless to bring a camera ;)

Probably that's why night vision devices are invented. :D

You already know the answer...what you have can never achieve any decent photo. Thats why I dun bother to shoot when i go night safari. Just go in enjoy yourself the best dun want the ticket.

I also don't shoot candid at night as my cameras high ISO performance is nothing to shout about. Except for night scenery and flash photography, a camera is quite limited in the absence of light.