night photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
peteryeo said:
Hi willyfoo,

May I ask you what is a black cards use for during night photo.

Thank you very very much.

Regards Yeo

The black cards/cloth/t-shirts are used to cover the lens during the times when you don't want to expose the scene... see the long explaination on the black card technique in the previous few posts

willyfoo said:
For the cameras that do not have bulb... experiment with how many seconds it takes for a properly exposed background... say you found out it is about 6 seconds. You would then set your shutter to 10-12 seconds.

Watch for the tell tale fast moving shell going up (indicating that it needs the speed to get to a height and therefore a potentially big burst) fire and start counting...
When the burst finishes, stop counting and cover the lens. Wait for the mid level bursts and continue counting, when you reach 6 seconds (or whatever time is tested) cover the lens till the exposure is completed.

Oh.. thanks... I also think about that way for my camera. Just want a comfirmation only. So I will be meet some of you guys/gals on this coming Friday rite ?

chunger said:
Oh.. thanks... I also think about that way for my camera. Just want a comfirmation only. So I will be meet some of you guys/gals on this coming Friday rite ?
Yes... please don't be late... we'll leave at 6:45 from Taco Bell sharp..

shortcake said:
Hi Guys,

I got the index print for my fireworks done (cos I wasn't too confident).

I used different settings throughout the fireworks. F8 3 - 5 secs and F11 3 - 5 secs. (ISO200). There are a number of washed out photos interspersed throughout the index print. In between these are some photos with the expected black background. The last 3 which I did at F11; 2.5 secs were fine. I'm puzzled... did I use the wrong settings (ie: 5 secs too long for ISO200?).

Or is there another reason? There was this one guy standing next to me who used a p&s camera with his flash on... If this is the case, what countermeasures are there in such a situation (apart from telling the guy to shove off).

Is it a combination of these factors?

(using F100)

Well, wadaya know... my washed-out looking photos were actually UNDERexposed! KT colour centre adjusted them for me and VOILA, acceptable photos! Yay! Now, if I can just work on my lousy composition...
See you guys Fri nite!

willyfoo said:
Yes... please don't be late... we'll leave at 6:45 from Taco Bell sharp..

Ok, sure. I will be there as i work around the city area too. Here is my contact HP : 91470412. Any sudden change of plan do let me know ^_^.

Hope to see you all tml.

shortcake said:
Well, wadaya know... my washed-out looking photos were actually UNDERexposed! KT colour centre adjusted them for me and VOILA, acceptable photos! Yay! Now, if I can just work on my lousy composition...
See you guys Fri nite!

Good for ya shortcake. Glad all went well for you finally.:thumbsup:

shortcake said:
See you guys Fri nite!

Glad to hear that... I have to work on my composition too. Think I need to use a slightly longer lens than a 24mm cos I have lots of blank spaces all around. hehe, 2nd round on Sunday!

Ps. Does anyone know what the markings at the back of every Fuji Frontier machine print means? NNN, NNA, NNN+ 1, etc. I know its exposure correction, but what's the exact correction the lab undertook?

justarius said:
Glad to hear that... I have to work on my composition too. Think I need to use a slightly longer lens than a 24mm cos I have lots of blank spaces all around. hehe, 2nd round on Saturday!

Ps. Does anyone know what the markings at the back of every Fuji Frontier machine print means? NNN, NNA, NNN+ 1, etc. I know its exposure correction, but what's the exact correction the lab undertook?

Hmm... Justarius. whne you say 2nd round on Saturday.... On that day got any fireworks show? Really regret missed out the first fireworks. Hehe

chunger said:
Hmm... Justarius. whne you say 2nd round on Saturday.... On that day got any fireworks show? Really regret missed out the first fireworks. Hehe

whoops... I meant Sunday, of course :embrass:

chunger said:
I may be a droppout for the Friday shooting, sorry ! :(

Cheers
Kishan

I will be there 6.45pm. :)

AdamGoi said:
So what is the dinner plan for the night shoot?
Please have something to eat first... I guess dinner will be at about 9+

willyfoo said:
Please have something to eat first... I guess dinner will be at about 9+

okie ..
am very new esp to nite photography..need you guys and gals coaching and patience as i go along later..thanks ;)

cheers..

Sky is nice today... try to bring a polariser if you have one...

Sorry cannot join you guys tonite. Going to JB. Tomorrow morning going to shoot birds with Harlequin and Sunday morning shoot dragonflies with Yong Cheng. Enjoy yourself.

hey people ! glad to see u guys and gals again ! and also some new faces.
Special thanks to Willy and Adam for sharing...

Will03 said:
hey people ! glad to see u guys and gals again ! and also some new faces.
Special thanks to Willy and Adam for sharing...
hello..
how was the night shooting...??/ too bad can't join u all..
this sun, wat's the venue n time..

Status
Not open for further replies.