Night Macro - Long-legged Centipede

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you are right, Ryan. Min. requirment is to shoot with at least another person. You never know what will happen in a dark forest. Safety comes first. If you walk alone in the dark forest, your hair will stand up man. :sweat:

Basically, my buddy was holding a torchlight and shined on the subject to provide constant illumination, so that I could AF and captured the image.

another method is to use a laser pointer to help the AF to focus.

heh i have seen the centipede a few times already they seem harmless.. tho creepy

Good shot man. But why make things difficult and shoot at night?
Do you work the whole day and no time to shoot? :bsmilie:

No, you are wrong.

This is another area of photography.

another method is to use a laser pointer to help the AF to focus.

heh i have seen the centipede a few times already they seem harmless.. tho creepy

Sorry, laser pointer is too weak in total darkness situation.

what a great find. i guess you can hardly see this during daytime? :dunno:

Those are some nasty looking critters! What was the working distance when you guys took those pics?

Z

what a great find. i guess you can hardly see this during daytime? :dunno:

nvr seen in daytime before

almost always can find in nighttime
its handsized or smaller..

working distance can be 10cm.
their legs so thin dun think they can jump on you. night creatures usually use smell and feelers i guess.. not sure though so dun quote me on that

Sorry, laser pointer is too weak in total darkness situation.

hmm it works quite well for me. although the torch might be more convenient but it gets trickier to sort out the lighting with a torch. (but it might jus be me lousy at it)

the trick is to not use the single point one.. use the filter that gives a wider picture..(i have one of a pointing finger) the laser pointer would then like 'paint a figure on the obj' then you use the AF to focus on the same plane and fire away.
(bad to use on wildlife though cos usually u aim for eyes to be sharp but u can't use the laser on the eyes in case u blind them)
but i find it excellent for macro work on other stuff..

hmm it works quite well for me. although the torch might be more convenient but it gets trickier to sort out the lighting with a torch. (but it might jus be me lousy at it)

the trick is to not use the single point one.. use the filter that gives a wider picture..(i have one of a pointing finger) the laser pointer would then like 'paint a figure on the obj' then you use the AF to focus on the same plane and fire away.
(bad to use on wildlife though cos usually u aim for eyes to be sharp but u can't use the laser on the eyes in case u blind them)
but i find it excellent for macro work on other stuff..

I am not sure about your setup, type of insects you take, etc.

Personally, using laser pointer is definitely a 'NO' in my situation.

It doesn't matter what you use as long as you can achieve what you want to achieve.

nvr seen in daytime before

almost always can find in nighttime
its handsized or smaller..

working distance can be 10cm.
their legs so thin dun think they can jump on you. night creatures usually use smell and feelers i guess.. not sure though so dun quote me on that

Some insects are only active at night. So you will hardly find them in daytime. Wonder of Nature.

Working distance is < 5 cm for close-up, that's why I said it is quite scary to shoot it. 10cm or more if you are taking the full length of it.

Because of its long legs, it sorts of 'walk' very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.