Ni-MH battery charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would gladly endorse the Maha charger... It has individual charging circuits and there are 2 choices for a fast charge and a slow charge. I recommend using the slow charge for better battery lifespan.

zac08 said:
I would gladly endorse the Maha charger... It has individual charging circuits and there are 2 choices for a fast charge and a slow charge. I recommend using the slow charge for better battery lifespan.
zac08, are you recommending the Maha Powerex MH-C401FS charger?

You can also try Konnoc... also has independent charging circuit so can support newer higher capacity batts. Has got individual batt guage and refresh function. However it doesn't have slow charging. Unlike the Maha (which is also a good charger), the power block is built into the unit so better for traveling. Sony has one model (BCG-34HRMD4 Super Quick Charger with LCD Indicator) that is fairly similar to it. I suspect Konnoc is the OEM.

Actually, was thinking. I have a multi purpose charger, able to charge, Lithium, Ni-MH, Ni-Cd batteries. It could charge up to 12 Ni-MH in series.

Just thinking, is this a better way to charge the battery, since i can control charging current and discharge current.

hehehee.. No i am no fly-boy :) though aeroplanes always fascinates me.

Triton said:
You can also try Konnoc... also has independent charging circuit so can support newer higher capacity batts. Has got individual batt guage and refresh function. However it doesn't have slow charging. Unlike the Maha (which is also a good charger), the power block is built into the unit so better for traveling. Sony has one model (BCG-34HRMD4 Super Quick Charger with LCD Indicator) that is fairly similar to it. I suspect Konnoc is the OEM.
But it has been mentioned many a times that the KONNOC does not fully charge the 2500 mAh batteries... Care to comment on this, Triton? :)

Canew said:
But it has been mentioned many a times that the KONNOC does not fully charge the 2500 mAh batteries... Care to comment on this, Triton? :)

I have been using it and faced no problem so far.. No drastic drop in performance compared to my Maha. As for high heat, I feel that Maha at Fast mode is as hot as any other brands out there.
Just my 2 cts worth... no scientific testing - just real world user feedback.

The expensive La Crosse charger charges the batteries quite cool... :thumbsup:

wrx_sti_22b said:
The expensive La Crosse charger charges the batteries quite cool... :thumbsup:
Anyone selling La Crosse locally. Eastgear use to carry them, can't see it on their website now.

Triton said:
I have been using it and faced no problem so far.. No drastic drop in performance compared to my Maha. As for high heat, I feel that Maha at Fast mode is as hot as any other brands out there.
Just my 2 cts worth... no scientific testing - just real world user feedback.
Triton, do you mean that the batteries' performance is about the same whether you charged it on KONNOC or MAHA? If the performance is the same, then there is not much point to get the MAHA as it is more expensive.

i find it to be similar leh.. As far as I know, any batt charger that possess negative delta voltage -ΔV sensing can charge any capacity type batts. That's why we should buy chargers like Maha and the likes. For me I use a combination of Sanyo, Maha and Konnoc chargers. These days I don't use the Sanyo that much becos it doesn't have independent circuits and batts are charged in pair even though one has more residual power left. Also my Sanyos cannot charge >2300mAh . Reading the Wiki on batt charger below, it could be our charger cuts off on high temperature rather than reaching optimum voltage. This may explain why you are not getting a full charge.. Just speculation on my part though. Any electrical experts out there can enlighten us?

"Output current depends upon the battery's state. An intelligent charger may monitor the battery's voltage, temperature and/or time under charge to determine the optimum charge current at that instant. Charging is terminated when a combination of the voltage, temperature and/or time indicates that the battery is fully charged.
For NiCd and NiMH batteries, the voltage over the battery increases slowly during the charging process, until the battery is fully charged. After that, the voltage decreases, which indicates to an intelligent charger that the battery is fully charged. Such chargers are often labeled as a ΔV charger, indicating that they monitor the voltage change."

Anyone using GP 15min charger? its charging current is at 7000mAh for AA batts hence charging at a very fast rate. It also comes with an inbuilt fan to cool batteries down.

As compared to Maha Powerex MH-C401FS, it only charges at 1000mAh at fast charge. Does the batt heats up alot?.

I was contemplating which of the above charger to purchase,

GP chargers - Current too high, reduces battery cycle life.
Maha Chargers - Charge till too high of a temp, reduces battery life.

Any comments of which to get?.:dunno:

Canew said:
zac08, are you recommending the Maha Powerex MH-C401FS charger?

Affirmative... sorry didn't provide the model earlier.

xiaolanku said:
Anyone using GP 15min charger? its charging current is at 7000mAh for AA batts hence charging at a very fast rate. It also comes with an inbuilt fan to cool batteries down.

As compared to Maha Powerex MH-C401FS, it only charges at 1000mAh at fast charge. Does the batt heats up alot?.

I was contemplating which of the above charger to purchase,

GP chargers - Current too high, reduces battery cycle life.
Maha Chargers - Charge till too high of a temp, reduces battery life.

Any comments of which to get?.:dunno:

Get the Maha, charge at slow... I've been doing this and all my batteries have no problem. Anyway, I was told of this charger by a good friend of mine who did an experiment on quite a few chargers (electronic experiment for assignment) and they discovered that the Maha is the most reliable (in their tests, not sure which other models they tested then)

Cheers,

mmm... was thinking of getting something tt's fast, cos i'm going for a mth long euro trip,
rest time in hostel will be short so not much time to charge my batts. heh.:sweat:
think i'll go for the maha then.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.