[ News ] : Olympus 4/3 lens development in 2011

:bheart::bheart::bheart:

To be fair, there is nothing much lacking in the existing lenses, as far as i know.
But in the long run, I guess they are trying to ease people out of 43s... first they stop development, slowly stop servicing support...... :cry:

As long as they don't stop production!

Agree! I plan to change to 14-54 MKII and maybe get an EC14 or EC20 in the near future
:bheart::bheart::bheart:

To be fair, there is nothing much lacking in the existing lenses, as far as i know.
But in the long run, I guess they are trying to ease people out of 43s... first they stop development, slowly stop servicing support...... :cry:

I agree, its better than what Canon and Olympus did in the past, just drop immediatly but I believe as mirrorless cameras catch up to the DSLR in all aspects, that's when they're likely to stop 4/3s completely, but until then, I will shoot with 4/3s all the way! Until I get news that 4/3s stop, I will buy a pro mirrorless camera and assorted lenses to use ;)

With the current line up of lenses, what else is needed? They've got everything from UWA to telephotos and macro. What lens can Olympus put out now that that will make you buy if you already own lenses that cover everything from 18mm to 400mm? Like elgkh said, stop development is fine but don't stop production can already.

i really hope that hybrid/modular body materializes... if we could still use the 4/3 lenses on future bodies which focuses as fast as PDAF then no need to worry

Half expected this to happen, the portends were there.

The E-5 may not be the last - it's probably the 2nd last, with the last being the replacement for the 620.

The modular system better be something.

(... what am I going to do if the SHGs go on a fire sale, decisions decisions...)

But :

The most important news:
1) Miguel Garcia (Marketing Managing Director Olympus Europe) said the focus is on MicroFourThirds
2) the Olympus E-5 is NOT the last Olympus FourThirds camera
3) There will be a professional MicroFourThirds camera at 2011
4) The low-end MicroFOurThirds cameras will also be updated in 2011
5) Prime lenses will come in 2011
6) There will be new features like “Geotagging”
Related Posts

What I'm curious to is,what will the competition do. If Olympus does this, and other companies don't follow suit, meaning that for working pros who uses Olympus might have to switch system, if everyone follows suit,maybe not so much so

What I'm curious to is,what will the competition do. If Olympus does this, and other companies don't follow suit, meaning that for working pros who uses Olympus might have to switch system, if everyone follows suit,maybe not so much so

Oly gotta push out the f2.8 m4/3 lenses.

I can't live with f5.6!

The GH2, if the specs are true, is pretty damn close to a pro-spec M4/3 body. If Olympus ups the ante, we will simply see a pro spec GH type camera. Panasonic has already a head start in this as it is, given their determination to push the M4/3 as a video camera platform.

Olympus' weakness has been electronics. They seem great with their image processing, but they have to do better to compete. Panasonic seems quite capable of flexing their muscles, and I expect them to do so again eventually.

But what I really want, is a rangefinder like body, with a built in EVF. Panasonic, please bring that patent to reality.

Last edited:
Oly gotta push out the f2.8 m4/3 lenses.

I can't live with f5.6!

17mm f2.8? :bsmilie: They've gotta push out high grade lenses is what I say!

The GH2, if the specs are true, is pretty damn close to a pro-spec M4/3 body. If Olympus ups the ante, we will simply see a pro spec GH type camera. Panasonic has already a head start in this as it is, given their determination to push the M4/3 as a video camera platform.

Olympus' weakness has been electronics. They seem great with their image processing, but they have to do better to compete. Panasonic seems quite capable of flexing their muscles, and I expect them to do so again eventually.

But what I really want, is a rangefinder like body, with a built in EVF. Panasonic, please bring that patent to reality.

I just saw the GH2, its more than enough for me,I'd want something bigger than the GH2 so that its easier for me to hold though, EVF gotta be bigger, brighter with more resolution for me, but only time will tell

What the !!@$@#^$#!?!?!?!?

What about the 100mm f2.8 ??? :cry:

Come'on.... at LEAST release one last tele-prime.

Total bummer man... I thought my Monday was crap but this is the pits! :sticktong

Watch out for Fuji's FinePix X100 that's announced today. Every site has it on top and if the price is right, this retro style will sweep everything in its way. Know something, it measures and look quite like the Olympus old film camera the 35SP.

17mm f2.8? :bsmilie: They've gotta push out high grade lenses is what I say!

I just saw the GH2, its more than enough for me,I'd want something bigger than the GH2 so that its easier for me to hold though, EVF gotta be bigger, brighter with more resolution for me, but only time will tell

How much bigger do you want it to be? It's already the biggest M4/3 camera. Sure the EVF could be bigger and brighter and more resolution. We all want it to be. :)

Watch out for Fuji's FinePix X100 that's announced today. Every site has it on top and if the price is right, this retro style will sweep everything in its way. Know something, it measures and look quite like the Olympus old film camera the 35SP.

Oh I'm putting aside money for that already.

Was just waiting to see if the Oly compact would be using a 4/3 sensor, it's not so...

Good to know that Oly will focus on m4/3. They better capture the market fast by coming out more good lens. Mirrorless concepts are losing it's excitement if they do not come out something good fast. If not other "bigger" brand will use their "bigger" (APC) sensor to over- shadow the 4/3 sensor. I can see panny is doing their part on m4/3 develepment.

History will repeat itself.

This is what i've mentioned in my previous posts that based on 4/3 lens road map looks like Oly has no plan to making new one or upgrading thier old 4/3 lenses to be more compatible with CDAF like wat they did with 14-54mm

But actually looking at Oly 4/3 lenses we dont have much fast lens I think the fastest was 50mm f2 I have not seen any f1.8/f1.4....

Oly needs to have a fast prime lens either 4/3 or m4/3 this to compete with Panny and Sigma and stir up the market