Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
May 2, 2008

Free on-the-go wireless access for StarHub broadband users
By Alfred Siew

STARHUB raised the bar on Friday on Internet deals by giving its home broadband subscribers free wireless access on the go as well.

The first such deal here, it may push rivals SingTel and MobileOne (M1) to roll out more competitive offerings.

New subscribers to StarHub's MaxOnline cable modem service, which gives them broadband access from home, will now get free access with the mobile wireless MaxMobile service as well.

The home service starts from $59.92 a month, while the on-the-go offering used to cost about $36 a month.

With the new deal, users will get a free modem to access the 3.5G wireless service, which gives download speeds of 7.2 megabits per second (Mbps) islandwide.

To log on to, they simply plug in the wireless modem to their laptops while on the go.

The offer is also open to existing MaxOnline subscribers who do not have a contract.

Mr Adit Harinasuta, head of StarHub services and solutions, said it was aimed at getting more users on both services.

The move is likely to provoke a response from rivals SingTel and M1, which have been locked in a fierce fight for customers in a market where broadband penetration is nearly 80 per cent.

However, neither one offers such a bundled deal yet. SingTel sells its asymmetric digital subsciber line (ADSL) service, which uses the phone line to carry data to homes, and its 3.5G on-the-go service separately.

M1, meanwhile, does not have a home broadband service, but offers its 3.5G service as an alternative to SingTel and StarHub.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_233289.html

Can I have it here in Australia too ;p;p;p

May 2, 2008

Free on-the-go wireless access for StarHub broadband users
By Alfred Siew

STARHUB raised the bar on Friday on Internet deals by giving its home broadband subscribers free wireless access on the go as well.

The first such deal here, it may push rivals SingTel and MobileOne (M1) to roll out more competitive offerings.

New subscribers to StarHub's MaxOnline cable modem service, which gives them broadband access from home, will now get free access with the mobile wireless MaxMobile service as well.

The home service starts from $59.92 a month, while the on-the-go offering used to cost about $36 a month.

With the new deal, users will get a free modem to access the 3.5G wireless service, which gives download speeds of 7.2 megabits per second (Mbps) islandwide.

To log on to, they simply plug in the wireless modem to their laptops while on the go.

The offer is also open to existing MaxOnline subscribers who do not have a contract.

Mr Adit Harinasuta, head of StarHub services and solutions, said it was aimed at getting more users on both services.

The move is likely to provoke a response from rivals SingTel and M1, which have been locked in a fierce fight for customers in a market where broadband penetration is nearly 80 per cent.

However, neither one offers such a bundled deal yet. SingTel sells its asymmetric digital subsciber line (ADSL) service, which uses the phone line to carry data to homes, and its 3.5G on-the-go service separately.

M1, meanwhile, does not have a home broadband service, but offers its 3.5G service as an alternative to SingTel and StarHub.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_233289.html

hmmm..what about existing subscribers still with contracts ?

But for this service, you'll probably need to sign some form of contract right?
I can't seem to find any info on this new initiative anywhere nevertheless.

I think they will give you a free wireless on the go too

HS

simi lan??? i will need a modem to plug into the laptop for wireless? Sounds like its going against the idea of wireless to me...:dunno:

simi lan??? i will need a modem to plug into the laptop for wireless? Sounds like its going against the idea of wireless to me...:dunno:

The modem is just an oversized flash drive with a SIM card embedded.

The modem is just an oversized flash drive with a SIM card embedded.

ah ok...shows how out dated i am about these things :bsmilie:

p_mol_priceplan03_new.jpg

For those who have noticed, the 7.2Mbps speed plan is only available free to those who sign up for the new Ultimate plan. If you sign up for the Premium or lower plan, the free Mobile Broadband is only limited to 1Mbps download speed.

For those who have noticed, the 7.2Mbps speed plan is only available free to those who sign up for the new Ultimate plan. If you sign up for the Premium or lower plan, the free Mobile Broadband is only limited to 1Mbps download speed.

No fish, prawn also can. So, don't complaint when it is free. Get Ultimate if you love high speed, after all it normally give you a lot of goodies when you sign up. Or go for Express if you are on a budget as Premium don't give you much improvement over Express.

Express vs Premium vs Ultimate, Mobile is 1x vs 1x vs 7.2x and Home is 1x vs 1.5x vs 12.5x and Price is 1x vs 1.35x vs 2.07. Express plan = 1x

p_mol_priceplan03_new.jpg

wah existing ultimate can take anot?

hmm dont understand...so i have a contract of Max Online express for another year or so....am i qualifed for the free wireless access ? If so, how to get the "modem"? Now im really confused :confused:

hmm dont understand...so i have a contract of Max Online express for another year or so....am i qualifed for the free wireless access ? If so, how to get the "modem"? Now im really confused :confused:

As long as you still have a Maxonline contract to fulfill, you can't change your Maxonline plan to a Maxonline Plus plan to enjoy the free Maxmobile. You can only do so when your contract ends, assuming that this offer is still available. The modem is given free with the "Plus" plans, including a SB5100 cable modem as well.

This came from the horse's mouth. I spoke to Starhub and this is what I was told.

I really doubt if you will get higher speeds if you take the higher USB modem plans? When I switched from the 512 to 1 MBkbs I didn't notice any increase of speed.......it all depends whether the base staion that you connect to at the location you are at has enough bandwith or not.

Sometimes at night in Clementi avenue 3 area I can't get a connection at all with the USB modem! thats why I still keep my broadband at home :-(

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.