Newbie's Try @ Night Photography

DreadLord

Dec 9, 2011
Hi all gurus... wanted to share with all bros/sis some of my night photos... still in the learning process so any comments and pointers is appreciated! TIA!

imgp04481.jpg

imgp0453k.jpg

Last edited:
technically I suppose no major issue.
Exposure is decent and colours are quite nicely captured.

Compositionally I am not so sure though. Somehow the photos lack 'bang' (for want of a better term).
The first photo is a bit '2D' - the buildings are lined up across the frame and it looks rather flat.
The second photo has more depth, though I follow the lights on the stairs and I end up... nowhere in particular ;)

Hey shifu! thx for dropping by this thread! yeah. got to admit that my photos don't have that "feel" as compared to the photos around here. is there any steps that i missed in post processing or the photos are flawed? seriously don't know how to get the same "feel" as your photos ah.

Hey shifu! thx for dropping by this thread! yeah. got to admit that my photos don't have that "feel" as compared to the photos around here. is there any steps that i missed in post processing or the photos are flawed? seriously don't know how to get the same "feel" as your photos ah.

I don't have any specific advice or suggestions, I'm afraid :cry:
Do spend time looking at others' photos and think deeper about what it is about their photos which you find appealing or interesting. Perhaps it's the lighting, or the angles which they chose, and so on.

You'll get there :) Keep shooting!

Roger that shifu! thx for the encouragement! :D

just some advice, may be you wan to try shooting at a different time? the exif data shows that the photos were taken at around 12 midnight? or it can be just time zone diff. try shooting the same scene just before sunrise or just after sunset, the transition to/from complete dark sky will give u a balanced exposure between the building lights and nice blue sky, the dark spaces here should be the reason why they look "2D".

from the EXIF, you were shooting both at F/22, usually we will avoid using such a small aperture unless really necessary, for #2, the star burst from small aperture looks good to me, but for photo #1, the 2 huge star burst are simply too distracting.

keep shooting! ;)

Hi miaoteh thx for dropping by this thread! yup, the 2 photos are taken around 12 midnight after my work actually. Will definitely try your suggestion and see how it goes. I know there is no hard and fast rule on photography but usually for landscape we try to stick to F/8 to F/11 right? thx once again! :)

Hi miaoteh thx for dropping by this thread! yup, the 2 photos are taken around 12 midnight after my work actually. Will definitely try your suggestion and see how it goes. I know there is no hard and fast rule on photography but usually for landscape we try to stick to F/8 to F/11 right? thx once again! :)

When aperture is too small, you get issues with diffraction.
Generally around f/8 is the 'sweet spot' for most lenses in terms of sharpness. If you need a bit more depth of field or you want to extend the shutter-opening duration, probably f/11 up to f/13 is fine.

ohhh the science behind the art! thx shifu for highlighting to me! gotta try it the next time! thx thx thx! :D

another try at night shot!

imgp0531sw.jpg

try a different hour to shoot (like blue hour). and do something about the horizon. its tilted.

Hi sinned79, thanks for dropping by this thread. Will definitely take note about the horizon in the future! Thanks once again.

another try at night shot!

Sky a bit dark and featureless, so shooting at an earlier time as suggested would be preferred :)
Composition is a bit of personal preference as well, though there are 'rules' and guidelines. What do you think about your choice of composition? Do you like it? Interested to hear your thoughts as well :)

hi bro! thanks for dropping by. The photos looks 2D and not enough depth as I wanted. The "light trails" on the water is not that striking with the red light at the bottom left kind of distracting. Is it due to exposure not long enough?

TIA! :)

hi bro! thanks for dropping by. The photos looks 2D and not enough depth as I wanted. The "light trails" on the water is not that striking with the red light at the bottom left kind of distracting. Is it due to exposure not long enough?

TIA! :)

One good way to create a sense of depth in a photo is to have foreground, mid-ground and background elements. With your photo, you basically have the buildings in the distance "lined up", thus you lose the sense of depth to your photograph.
The red light at the bottom-left is a bit too bright. Perhaps you can reduce its brightness a bit in post-processing, so as to make it less distracting. If you shoot when the sky has some light in it (eg around sunset or evening blue hour), it will be easier to balance the bright reflection with a brighter sky :)

keep shooting!

a wider lens perhaps may help too.

5099304263_2032770851.jpg

The above photo taken at 17mm (FF) during a non dark hour in Melbourne. Think I shot at 11pm-12am in the freezing night!

Thanks alot on the insight bro! Yeah I realize that my composition is very bad. No foreground interest at all. Will try to get some photos during the blue hour on my off day and hopefully it will turn out well!

Hi sinned79! Thanks for the very nice example and your honest input! Really appreciate it!