Newbie's macro shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenarrow2k4

Nov 1, 2004
Northern Singapore
Macro shots on some of my watches using the LZ7 ..

TZ7Picture033.jpg

TZ7Picture035.jpg

TZ7Picture040.jpg

Try using a light tent to minimise unwanted reflections and also to provide a clean background.

I believe you are trying to use natural ambient light from the surrounding to shoot the watches. There are pros and cons to this technique, over-exposure or under-exposure are the usual problems. Reflections from the surroundings is the second issue. Handshakes due to low shutter is the third problem.

Pardon my crudeness but the above shots are more like point and shoot, no actual compositions, meaning and thoughts in the shots.

Shoot more with different techniques and approach like what Valjean has mentioned and you'll find that there are better ways to make your subjects interesting, which will attract viewers' attention as well.

I believe you are trying to use natural ambient light from the surrounding to shoot the watches. There are pros and cons to this technique, over-exposure or under-exposure are the usual problems. Reflections from the surroundings is the second issue. Handshakes due to low shutter is the third problem.

Pardon my crudeness but the above shots are more like point and shoot, no actual compositions, meaning and thoughts in the shots.

Shoot more with different techniques and approach like what Valjean has mentioned and you'll find that there are better ways to make your subjects interesting, which will attract viewers' attention as well.

Thanks for the pointers bros. Will try out more on using the macro features. Is using the camera's auto macro helps?

Thanks for the pointers bros. Will try out more on using the macro features. Is using the camera's auto macro helps?

I suggest that you use manual focus if you can. Manual focus gives your more room to play around with where you like the focusing point to be at and also allows you to play with the subject's angle. Auto-focus is usually not the option for macro.

Some suggestions....
1....try to use manual focus to focus into the watches.... but not the glass....
2....try to be parallel with the surface....
3....find some support so that you won't shake, to keep the snaps sharp.... macro always shake...
4....position the hands in a good position.... like 1-11, 2-10 (if i'm not wrong... read it from some where...maybe can check online)...

I've not do macro on watches before...maybe can do some study online....what's the rules to make watches macro...

Hi greenarrow2k4,

Hope you won't mind I post my old shot to join in for discussion purpose and sharing experience. The shot was taken when I first started to try macro, just like you. What bro shiyingwong and NovJoe mentioned are true and it was what I did after trying out many many shots, and many hours of shooting playing with angle and flash as I didn't use a light tent (don't know what it was at that time).

IMG_25811.jpg

If you have a spoilt watch, open-up the back and shoot inside, its even more interesting, that was what I found.

And if you search this forum, you can find some very nice watch pic, much much better than ours...cheers.

Last edited:
First macro shot of my watch...(check out the faint image above the "SWISS" word)
Was totally surprised that a Fujifilm FinePix F100fd camera is able to do this :eek:
3988345363_d4aaf3f6e9_m.jpg

Hi greenarrow2k4,

Hope you won't mind I post my old shot to join in for discussion purpose and sharing experience. The shot was taken when I first started to try macro, just like you. What bro shiyingwong and NovJoe mentioned are true and it was what I did after trying out many many shots, and many hours of shooting playing with angle and flash as I didn't use a light tent (don't know what it was at that time).

IMG_25811.jpg

If you have a spoilt watch, open-up the back and shoot inside, its even more interesting, that was what I found.

And if you search this forum, you can find some very nice watch pic, much much better than ours...cheers.

Wow, how I wish I can take macro shots just like you :bsmilie: No reflection from the glass as well. I 've more to learn from experts here. Will post more macro
shots for comments by bros here.

Last edited:
Wow, how I wish I can take macro shots just like you :bsmilie: No reflection from the glass as well. I 've more to learn from experts here. Will post more macro
shots for comments by bros here.

Thanks. It's not a good shot as you can see around the "40" area is hot (due to no flash diffuser), and there's a shadow under the second hand :(

Anyway, practice hard and look forward to see more of your shots here. Cheers.

Newbie shot(post-processed) of my swiping second hand with my new Panasonic LX3 :D
Camera settings: f/8, 1 sec exposure time, ISO-80
3996040343_9565c6c09f.jpg

Still cannot get rid of shadows when using flash :confused:
P1000133.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.