Newbie's 2nd attempt at fireworks 6 August. Comments & advices welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockunder

Apr 12, 2005
Newbie’s 2nd attempt at fireworks

The first attempt was the previous Saturday, 27 July 2005 during NDP Preview : http://forums.photoi.org/showthread.php?t=1076394

Http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=143977

Camera : Nikon Coolpix 5700
Tripod : Slik "Sprint Pro GM/CG" (a compact and handy tripod)
Focus : Infinity (i.e. Landscape)
Focal length : 8.9mm (i.e. 1x optical)
Aperture size : F/8.0 (the smallest possible on my camera)
Exposure mode : BULB
Shuttle speed (Exposure time) : Fixed 4 seconds for the first 3 pictures, 8 seconds for the last 5 pictures.
Sensitivity : ISO 100 (the lowest possible on my camera to minimise noise and over-exposure)
Metering : Matrix 256 areas of frame
White Balance : Incadescant for the first 4 pictures (makes it cooler in color), Auto for the last 4 pictures (hotter in colour).

Things which I’ve changed from 1st attempt :
1) I used "Fine" quality instead of RAW and as a result, I managed to take many more pictures than the first attempt.

2) Instead of manually controlling the exposure time (which requires me to hold down the shuttle release button to open the aperture and then let go the button when I want to shut it), I tried out using auto fixed time to avoid possible shaking the camera too much. I used fixed 4 or 8 seconds instead of manual 3-5 seconds previously. In response to some earlier suggestions to lengthen my exposure time slightly, I used 8 seconds to see if the picture would turn out nicer. I wanted to try using 6 seconds but unfortunately, my camera doesn’t have auto 6 seconds. I may try manual 6 seconds in my next fireworks shoot on 8 August.

3) For some pictures, I tried out using Incadescent instead of Auto for white balance. Incadescant for the first 4 pictures (makes it cooler in color), Auto for the last 4 pictures (hotter in colour).

Mistakes made :
a) Didn’t know the exact location from which the fireworks would be fired and the direction in which they would face during display. Although I arrived at 5+pm in Marina South, I was browsing through the exhibitions there until 7pm before I started to ask around for the exact location of the fireworks.

b) Partly due to (a) above, I was situated too close and too far side to the fireworks.

Poor results due to mistakes :
i) The picture horizon wasn’t straight. Due to not knowing the exact location from which the fireworks would be shot, my camera and tripod wasn’t set up to aim at the right direction and height to capture the full picture of fireworks. I had to scamble to adjust my camera when the fireworks started. As a result, the picture horizon wasn’t straight and I, being a newbie, wasn’t conscious of it until I was back home looking at the pictures.

ii) Poor picture composition. Without some buildings as background, the pictures probably would have been nicer looking if the fireworks were pictured with reflection of the fireworks light in the sea (or some ships/boats) as a significant part of the picture in the foreground. However, I couldn’t because I was positioned too close to the fireworks and my location wasn’t good for it. Even though my camera was completely zoomed out, it could only capture a tiny part of the sea if the full height of the fireworks were to be taken. I’ve seen some stunning fireworks pictures taken with nice foreground (with sea, light reflection and ships/boats) by some fellow forumers here. Their pictures are much nicer than mine in terms of composition.

iii) My pictures didn’t capture the distinctive patterns of fireworks display. I was situated too far right and too near and, apparently, certain fireworks patterns were only distinguishable when viewed more from the front and/or further away. I guess my excessively long 8 seconds exposure time could also be a contributing factor to this problem.

iv) My pictures were too bright and a lot of smokes were seen. This was because I was too close to the fireworks and my exposure time was a bit too long : 8 seconds. I’ve darkened them now by increasing their contrast and adjusting brightness using IrfanView. For the finale in which many fireworks were propelled into the sky, the picture taken was a total wash-out because 8 seconds exposure was really too long.

I’m still trying to learn and improve. Before I try again on 8 August Midnight, I would like any comments and advice please. Thanks in advance.
#1 below :
dscn00475ad.jpg

#2 below :
dscn00538rv.jpg

#3 below :
dscn00554kc.jpg

#4 below :
dscn00623wj.jpg

#5 below :
dscn00672zb.jpg

#6 below :
dscn00691mh.jpg

#7 below :
dscn00764di.jpg

#8 below :
dscn00867ld.jpg

Don’t forget to give any comments/advices after viewing the pictures.
Thanks in advance again.

wow. Amazing captures with a P&S camera! Pieces of art you got yourself there!

You've got some nice shots there.
A little more PS should get you a better overall look of the images.
And slanted horizon can always be corrected in PS as well.
I think your location is quite alright.
Talking about bad locations, the front of my lens was soaked by the Merlion's spit.:angry:

Thanks for your kind comments.

However, by comparing my photos with very nice photos taken by some others, I think there are quite a number of problems with my pictures taken.

The fireworks appear isolated when there is no good foreground or background to go with them.

If you notice carefully, the fireworks arrangement was not symmetrical on each of my photos. They appeared slanting in descending order from right (high) to left (low) in height. This is because I was situated too far right of the firing location. Those blooms on the right side were very much nearer to me than those on the left. So the left top corner of each photo were usually empty. This gives a rather disturbing un-balanced look to the picture and is no good.

The last few photos had exposure of 8 seconds which was far too long and therefore they appeared very over-exposed and their bloom patterns were not distinctive. They look more like color paintings than photos. This is bad again.

I will try to correct my mistakes tonight. Hope to get a better composition by taking from the south side of Benjamin Sheares Bridge, positioning myself to face the firing location as perpendicular as possible in order to catch a more balanced fireworks patterns and using the water (with reflections of lights from the fireworks) and boats/ships as foreground to improve the composition.

I would appreciate if I hear some critical comments and suggestions for me to improve my photography skills. Thanks in advance. I think people are just too kind to give adverse comments and I have to rely mostly on checking on and comparing with the nice photos taken by others. I still don't know when is the most appropriate time to press the shuttle release button in order to capture the full fireworks patterns intended by the performers.

In the meanwhile, I need to find out how to get to the South side of the Bridge first : (circled red X below ) facing the firing location across the river mouth :.

map6go.jpg

thanks for the updated map with the firing point.

I faced the same problem looking for a good spot to shoot. In the end, I ended up at the concert area and having half my shots blocked by the trees.

As for the way to get on Sheares bridge, I know of 2 ways. One, walk from the Esplanade side, up the bridge, then over to the other side and then down the bridge. Go under the bridge, you will find another flight of steps to go up.

Alternatively, alight at Marina Bay mrt, then get over to the Chill Out area of the carnival. Walk towards the bridge and head up the flight of steps.

how do you all go back then n park if you are driving?
I was thinking of parking at Orchard road, then take a train
down to Marina Bay MRT.
But after the midnite fireworks, wonder if there's any train to catch back to my vehicle.

spiders said:
thanks for the updated map with the firing point.

I faced the same problem looking for a good spot to shoot. In the end, I ended up at the concert area and having half my shots blocked by the trees.

As for the way to get on Sheares bridge, I know of 2 ways. One, walk from the Esplanade side, up the bridge, then over to the other side and then down the bridge. Go under the bridge, you will find another flight of steps to go up.

Alternatively, alight at Marina Bay mrt, then get over to the Chill Out area of the carnival. Walk towards the bridge and head up the flight of steps.

Thanks.

BTW, I was using another person's map which indicated his shooting location. Mine was very much to the right as shown in the map below. I recognise the bend along the coast of the firing location across the river mouth. You can see this bend on my pictures posted earlier in this thread. It's too far right and too near.

map23tb.jpg

bwilly said:
how do you all go back then n park if you are driving?
I was thinking of parking at Orchard road, then take a train
down to Marina Bay MRT.
But after the midnite fireworks, wonder if there's any train to catch back to my vehicle.

I read from another forum that MRT has been extended to 2am.

Clockunder said:
I read from another forum that MRT has been extended to 2am.
What about bus service?

Clockunder said:
Thanks.

BTW, I was using another person's map which indicated his shooting location. Mine was very much to the right as shown in the map below. I recognise the bend along the coast of the firing location across the river mouth. You can see this bend on my pictures posted earlier in this thread. It's too far right and too near.

map23tb.jpg

Oh ic. I remember lots of people were coming back from the area behind the stage. So thats where you were?
I think I shall go over to the Chill-out area or the Sheares bridge tonight. The shots I got from the stage area were blocked. But, the experience is different with the music being played. The fireworks were supposed to be synchronised with the music.

Anyone know how to go up to the bridge that facing marina south?

John Tan said:
Anyone know how to go up to the bridge that facing marina south?

I was told that there are stairs up from Marina South Park just near to the red X indicated on my earlier map.

I know that there are stairs down from Benjamin Sheares Bridge to the big plot of field where they usually fire the fireworks from and I've used them before. Now I'm told that there are similar stairs on the other side (where Marina South Park is) of the bridge, leading to the side facing Marina South.

So I will go up from the stairs near the junction with Raffles Boulevard onto the bridge, walk along the bridge and then stairs down to the big field across the river, go underneath the bridge and go up back to the bridge facing Marina South.

Alternatively, go to Marina Bay MRT station and navigate from there.

Clockunder said:
I was told that there are stairs up from Marina South Park just near to the red X indicated on my earlier map.

I know that there are stairs down from Benjamin Sheares Bridge to the big plot of field where they usually fire the fireworks from and I've used them before. Now I'm told that there are similar stairs on the other side (where Marina South Park is) of the bridge, leading to the side facing Marina South.

So I will go up from the stairs near the junction with Raffles Boulevard onto the bridge, walk along the bridge and then stairs down to the big field across the river, go underneath the bridge and go up back to the bridge facing Marina South.

Alternatively, go to Marina Bay MRT station and navigate from there.
ok thanks.

I was there at the shear's bridge last sat 6 aug we went up from marina south and came down from somewhere near millenia side advisable to enter from millenia walk side but check the directory for e exact location.

Status
Not open for further replies.