Newbie with IR on NTU campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

monchip

May 13, 2007
Singapore
Hi, I am newbie, I was introduced to this topic and I am so impressed. I just bought a filter 2 days ago and have read some materials once before I took those pictures. Can I have your comment in order to improve my skill.
Site description: on a cloudy afternoon, no sun (just rain), NTU campus, Graduate Hall.
I used the CWB as instructed here for D50/D70, using PS as I used red blue swaping, auto contrate, auto level, and decrease the value of Lightness in Red channel in Hue/Saturation to -100. That's all.
Thanks for your help.
529618179_156e74a4e1_o.jpg

529530442_d0a2660120_o.jpg

529617567_a96517783c_o.jpg

Not bad for a first try! =)

Much better than what I got when I first started out, imho. #3 #4 and #5 are pretty good. =)

Can consider playing with Shadows/Highlights in PS, btw.. Will bring out colours in the sky more, if that's your kind of thing. Right now there is no enough detail there for my sort of IR.. But that's personal preference I guess. Either that or it was very overcast. Was it?

Keep shooting, hope to see more IR from you soon. =) What camera are you using, btw?

Hi there,

I think you got the White Balance correct already, just to check. Do you have an unprocess file? Maybe can load it up for us to check if your White Balance is ok.
Based on the photos, I believe due to the weather that your photos turn up slightly blur in colour and contrast. I believe you took it today as I observed that the weather is quite bad today. Why not try it early in the morning when the sun is out. :)

@night86mare: I use Ni D50 with 18-70 + Hoya 67mm. How to make the sky more blue, I tried but it seemed not correct.

@francis247: I followed the CWB step for D50, and It showed "GOOD" when I correct using "Pre" mode in WB. The weather today you know, it is very bad with rain and cloud. I woke up at noon then:dunno:
I will upload some of the original files later.
Appreciate for your comments

@night86mare: I use Ni D50 with 18-70 + Hoya 67mm. How to make the sky more blue, I tried but it seemed not correct.
More blue?

No la, I meant the contrasts in the sky.. i.e. the clouds will be more apparent, etc.. =)

For the correct tones can always adjust Hue/Saturation. Now that you mention your kind of blue seems a little off - slightly too greenish. :dunno:

Here are some original photoes taken directly from memory card, no ps, no crop,...
529872195_66bdff0f50_o.jpg

529783706_d4663795f7_o.jpg

529783154_acf888e4af_o.jpg

529783898_d10cc38c9c_o.jpg

529872363_325a79c610_o.jpg

Anybody can share with me the software to create picture frames?
Thanks

More blue?

No la, I meant the contrasts in the sky.. i.e. the clouds will be more apparent, etc.. =)

For the correct tones can always adjust Hue/Saturation. Now that you mention your kind of blue seems a little off - slightly too greenish. :dunno:

Yeap, the contrast is not clear enough, maybe today there was no sunshine, I dunt have other experience taking IR pictures under the hot sun condition.

hrm, what channel swap settings do you use?

The more conventional IR colour should be

red channel : red 0 blue 100
green channel : red 50 blue 50 green 0
blue channel : red 100 blue 0

here's my take on PP'ing one of those photos you have posted here, let me know if you want it taken down:

529891727_430f750d59_o.jpg

Anybody can share with me the software to create picture frames?
Thanks
What sort of frames do you want?

For the more complicated type, they are actually Photoshop actions, can do a rough search on the net as to how to do them.

If you just something like a simple black border, or just simple borders over each other - use Canvas Size under Image tab in PS.. =) Experiment with it, it's pretty easy to learn to use.

hrm, what channel swap settings do you use?

The more conventional IR colour should be

red channel : red 0 blue 100
green channel : red 50 blue 50 green 0
blue channel : red 100 blue 0

here's my take on PP'ing one of those photos you have posted here, let me know if you want it taken down:

thanks night86mare, appreciate your work.
I dunt have the swap in green channel since what I did are only red and blue
Anymore change in PS that I dunt know?
Thanks for the frame suggestion.

thanks night86mare, appreciate your work.
I dunt have the swap in green channel since what I did are only red and blue
Anymore change in PS that I dunt know?
Thanks for the frame suggestion.
Ah, maybe that's why your tones are more greenish than the usual.

But after all, it is subject to personal interpretation - if you like the greenish tones, then stick with it. When I first started I think the most common comment on my photos was "funny colour" (of course put more nicely, the IR regulars are a nice bunch).. =) Looking back yeah, I had orange, purple, and all sorts of other otherwordly colours. Sometimes I just do it sometimes to relive the earlier days. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Other than that - what I did for your photo was:

1) A bit of lifting of shadows and filling in of highlights using the Shadows/Highlight tool
2) Saturation overall of colours, before desaturating all yellows and increasing their lightness to maximum
3) Contrast and brightness adjustments - roughly. If you want to do it properly you should do Curves. =)

1) A bit of lifting of shadows and filling in of highlights using the Shadows/Highlight tool
2) Saturation overall of colours, before desaturating all yellows and increasing their lightness to maximum

Sorry, i didnot catch ur words.
1) Where is shadows/highlight tool
2) Saturation overall of color, do u mean by maximizing the saturation value of all color except yellows

Tmr, I will come back to Hanoi, Vietnam, my country and try to post some pictures about Hoankiem lake and other places here. But first,I need to get thru the conventional method of IR pictures.
Thanks

Sorry, i didnot catch ur words.
1) Where is shadows/highlight tool
2) Saturation overall of color, do u mean by maximizing the saturation value of all color except yellows

Tmr, I will come back to Hanoi, Vietnam, my country and try to post some pictures about Hoankiem lake and other places here. But first,I need to get thru the conventional method of IR pictures.
Thanks

1) Image --> Adjustments --> Shadows/Highlights.

2) No, overall colour = saturate everything FIRST, then desaturate yellows. Which has the final effect of maximizing (not really maximizing, just whatever looks good to me) saturation of all colours except yellows eventually. Something like that anyways.

Looking forward to seeing pictures from your country. cheers dude! =)

What sort of frames do you want?

For the more complicated type, they are actually Photoshop actions, can do a rough search on the net as to how to do them.

If you just something like a simple black border, or just simple borders over each other - use Canvas Size under Image tab in PS.. =) Experiment with it, it's pretty easy to learn to use.

easy. this is what i do.

1)canvas size +2 pixels white
2)canvas size +30 pixels black

hope it helps =D

Reminds me of my uni days....I used to stay in Hall 11 for 2 years !

Status
Not open for further replies.