Newbie who wants to buy a mcro lens

lol sure thing, however i'm still thinking lol. As u mention L lens is really ex and macro is just a part of photography, i would prefer a lens which is multi purpose. Oh man! its so darn confusing X_X

Hi,

For macro photography, there is another part of the story that is not clearly convey. The lighting makes up half of the story, and the lense makes up the other half.

To get a good picture, the ones that you see in CS macro forum, you would also need to invest flash unit, or ring flash, or diffuser. Hope you do some research on this, before buying your first macro lense.

cheers,

I started macro with zero knowledge a few months ago. To date, I have paticipated in 8 CS macro outings and learn a lot of basic techniques from all the sifus here. I suggest you do not buy any macro equipment yet so that you do not waste your money. Join a few CS macro outings first, see what tools the seniors have, such as type of lenses, attachments (Raynoxes, etc..), flashes, diffusers. Below are two of my recent hand-held (no tripod used) shots with my equipment: Lumix G-1 cam (quite low end by today's standard), Lumix-Leica 45mm F2.8 macro lens, on-board flash and self made diffuser. Paiseh lah, my photos are nowhere near the sifus standard, but to show that even M4/3 (1/2 cropped) cams can be used to take macro.
Hope the above helps.
Cheers.
LEW
P1100368-re.jpg

P1100392-re.jpg

lol sure thing, however i'm still thinking lol. As u mention L lens is really ex and macro is just a part of photography, i would prefer a lens which is multi purpose. Oh man! its so darn confusing X_X

Tamron 90mm macro and Tokina 100mm macro are both reviewed to be extremely good macro lenses.

Maybe you want to consider them if your budget is tight.

Hi to all bros and sis here. I am relatively new to DSLR and would like to take some macro photos. I was thinking between the Canon 60MM, 100MM or the 100MM Lseries lens for macro. Recently my friend told me don't bother to buy the 100MM as he mention something about crop factor. I don't quite understand what he means though. Can some pros wish to enlight me? and would it be wise to get the 100MM L lens? Oh by the way, i'm using Canon EOS 60D. Thank you all for your precious advices

Many forumers will tell you IS will not make a difference. Choosing 60 or 100 really depend on what you really want to shoot. For mainly insects, then 100mm and beyond. If you want to shot anything bigger than 4 to 10cm, then 60mm. I currently own both. I use my 60mm for product shoot, toys and figure models. 100mm for insects and coins.

check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography
"
# 50–60 mm range typically used for product photography and small objects
# 90–105 mm range the standard focal range used for insects, flowers, small objects - 60mm on crop body
# 150–200 mm range gives more working distance — typically used for insects and other small animals - 100mm on crop body
"

Last edited: