Newbie, which DSLR to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the World of Photography !

Buying the first camera is always a challenge.

I believe you may wish to start off with a relatively basic DSLR like Canon 450D or Nikon D40. These models can last you for at least 2 years before you start looking for higher range of cameras when your skills has surpass the camera's capabilities - high ISO or Full frame or others.

Yet end of the day ... though the camera may made the difference in the quality of the picture ... but i believe the creativity in you is more impt and will set you apart from others!

Have fun shopping around - and to me ... that's the greatest joy - Shopping for Camera stuffs !

Cheers
Fuji

you don't need to have a top model Camera Body.
Canon get 50D
Nikon get D90

and try not to buy the KIT lens, most of them crap.

Buy seperate lens that suit your need.

First of all, ask yourself what are you going to shoot. MACRO like insects, Sports, Landscrape, Wedding etc.......

Get a reasonable good lens and not necessary for Canon 'L' .

Read more and see more on Clubsnap and Flickr site to see other discussion and you decide again. Once you buy and then sell..... will be at great loss.:bigeyes:

Canon get 50D
Nikon get D90

First of all, ask yourself what are you going to shoot. MACRO like insects, Sports, Landscrape, Wedding etc.......

Read more and see more on Clubsnap and Flickr site to see other discussion and you decide again. Once you buy and then sell..... will be at great loss.:bigeyes:

The kit lens is not crap. :nono:

I haven't got a dslr yet.
Well was looking at nikon but like many say the lenses r abit steep.
I currently have a olympus MJU cause its shockproof n waterproof so I have it everywhere I go without a worry, got a canon G9 with underwater casing for underwater shooting.
Now looking at dslr... URGHHHH SO MANY OPTIONS!
Headache

How much money do you want to spend ???

Is it entry level money ???

Lets assume you say, "Entry level"

My first question is," do you have a film SLR" if yes, how much have you spent on lens for it?

If you have spent quite a bit of money on lens then get that brand ifthey now still fit.

Otherwise....

All of the DSLRs give good results, it comes down to the fratures each offer for similar money.

Do you want anti dust feature ..... they all have (1)

Do you want spot metering ..... most do (2)

Do you want image stabilizing ..... they all do in one way or another (3)

Do you want a camera that only has digital lens and all of one quality ..... one does (4)

Am I a sales man for a particular camera .... no I own Nikon, Olympus and Canon DSLR's and like them all.

(1) Olympus invented the anti dust system and is still the best at it.

(2) All have spot metering except the entry lever Canon 1000D

(3) Except for Sony and Olympus, you have to spend extra for image stabilization with Canon and Nikon.

(4) Olympus only make one quality of lens at each focal length and they are all non ex-film design. They are all designed for digital.

This is my view.

As I say, I am not biased as I own 3 differnt brands.

But when looking for the first time, these issues should be taken into account :thumbsup:

Hi, Try not to jump on the gun too fast, May be go for a rent and test it out.Once you r in,it is difficult to get out of the situation, if possible test with your friends and decide later.:sweat: N C S all is fine and good

get one that feels good in ure hand...and one that you can actually grow on..

i switched from a brand new a200 to a used EOS 20D just because it felt good in my hand...got a connection somehow...like things are meant to be..hahhahahaa

u need to find 1 that connects with you

Hi there,

I'm a newbie who's always loved photography but have nv got a dslr.
I've been looking around and still am undecided.
How/why did you guys decide to get a canon, or nikon or olympus or other brands?
Can share your views and advice?
Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hoon
I started with Canon because, i didn't have a choice.
it was a gift from my uncle.

but at the end of this year i am going to upgrade my system
and i am going to be changing camps from canon to nikon.
why i decided to change camps?
research.
i narrowed down my choice to either EOS 50D or nikon's D300
well. i chose nikon D300 because of all the fantastic reviews which kind of superceeds 50D
I also played with both the DSLRs before falling in love with D300 mainly because of its ergonomics and superior build.

moral of the story:
1) Research, read reviews
2) Narrow down to DSLRs that fit the features you are looking for (fit ur photography style)
3) Hands on with the Camera before finally deciding which to buy

remember that this is a whole system that you are investing on.
so you better fall in love with the system unless you are rich enough to keep changing bodies.
and also after bodies come lenses.
so good luck with your bank account :D

The kit lens is not crap. :nono:

I agree whole hartedly :thumbsup:

I have taken and seen many good photo's with kit lens (as the saying goes, it is not the camera/lens, but the person behind it)

Just the same, check for the quality each kit lens has to offer.

Does one look or feel better made than the other.

This too makes a difference.

And yes, as mentioned here, check how it feels in your hand.

No matter how good the spec's are, if you don't feel good holding and operating it, you won't get the results you think you should.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
I haven't got a dslr yet.
Well was looking at nikon but like many say the lenses r abit steep.
I currently have a olympus MJU cause its shockproof n waterproof so I have it everywhere I go without a worry, got a canon G9 with underwater casing for underwater shooting.
Now looking at dslr... URGHHHH SO MANY OPTIONS!
Headache

Before I decided on my first DSLR, I was researching Canon as they have trade-in offer. I was going to trade in my canon DVD videocam. I downloaded the specs, compared among the canon models. Then I went to shops to look and feel. Now, after feeling Canon, Nikon and Sony, it's back to the drawing board :(

Took another few weeks of pondering. Most of the bros / sis have pointed out one very important point, ie the feel. You must feel comfortable holding it and touching all those buttons with your fingers. Can you change aperture and shutter speed with the hand holding the camera ? Or do you need 2 hands ? Or do you prefer lighter weight and compact feel ?

I ended up getting the Nikon cos I feel the grip is better and I can change shutter speed and aperture with one hand :)

cheers !!

Canon get 50D
Nikon get D90

Hmm,

I strongly wouldn't recommend TS to get the 50D or the D90. The 50D is a semi-pro model and the D90 is a high-end amateur, close to a semi-pro. I don't think TS should get such a good model, start off with something cheaper and easy to handle.

And kit lens is not crap. Seriously kit lens are one of the basic lenses. They are the ones that train you into taking good shots, and there after mastering the skill that we upgrade to better lenses.

I also believe that TS should strt off with general photography and something easy like landscape and scenery. More advanced stuff like macro etc. we should let TS get more experience and learn more before deciding on this.

Cowz.

(3) Except for Sony and Olympus, you have to spend extra for image stabilization with Canon and Nikon.

(4) Olympus only make one quality of lens at each focal length and they are all non ex-film design. They are all designed for digital.

This is my view.

As I say, I am not biased as I own 3 differnt brands.

But when looking for the first time, these issues should be taken into account :thumbsup:

Whoa. I bought my cam yesterday morning (18th April) and I am just reading this now. I actually chose Olympus because of these two very reasons.

Hmm,

I strongly wouldn't recommend TS to get the 50D or the D90. The 50D is a semi-pro model and the D90 is a high-end amateur, close to a semi-pro. I don't think TS should get such a good model, start off with something cheaper and easy to handle.

And kit lens is not crap. Seriously kit lens are one of the basic lenses. They are the ones that train you into taking good shots, and there after mastering the skill that we upgrade to better lenses.

I also believe that TS should strt off with general photography and something easy like landscape and scenery. More advanced stuff like macro etc. we should let TS get more experience and learn more before deciding on this.

Cowz.

Not really Bros!
Buying the body is a one time business. I have seen many users sell away their entry body in less than 2 yrs they sold it and made a loss. I strongly agree with you that 50D or D90 is semi pro BUt again as mentioned earlier. I would rather buy a reasonable body once and for all unless later you want to upgrade to 1D/5D MKxx.
Just like doing things( Do it right at the first time)....

No point getting lower model to learn, if really need a starter model I will suggest just buy from CS used cam. Thereafter You sell ... loss less $$$$.

Sorry to all using KIT Lens, the 'Crap' lens that mentioned earlier was actually pointing out that you must buy the lens with 'IS'. I sold mine w/o 'IS' crap. (when I brought is $200+ and when I sold it just $60)... So what I mean. No offence Lah!!!.

Happy sourcing.

Well, firstly THANK YOU for all your suggestions and advice, really appreaciate it.
2ndly where can i try out the cameras for the different brands?
StFubar : which camera you got? how much? what lenses?

The search goes on and on

Well, firstly THANK YOU for all your suggestions and advice, really appreaciate it.

Oly E-620

You can try out at most mega store like courts and harvey norman. Or for Canon, go to their showroom at Vivo and for Nikon, at the ex-IBM tower (think now is Xerox).

Good luck.

I suggest you try out at CP and buy elsewhere.
As you know, CP is a showroom.
Kit Lenses are also not crap, take for example the 18-55 VR from Nikkor.
It's one of the best lenses at the price range of 100 odd dollars.
I also believe according to my papa and brother that it's good to get a average lens so you don't have to keep changing lenses.
That will save you quite a bit yea?

Marie

Status
Not open for further replies.