Newbie to photography qns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Hi,

I'm new to photography and am planning on buying the Nikon D70 whenever stock is available (with the lens kit). I've already bought a dry cabinet, Am-Pro 55L from DigitalPoint (how is this cabinet, is it ok?)

Was wondering if I should also get filters, and which should I get, a UV or skylight or both? How much would each cost and which make/models are compatible with the D70 (i.e. won't have to use converters etc).

I also plan to get 2x512MB CF cards, which brand is the better: Lexar or Sandisk Ultra II? Some recommendations would be great.

Hope to get some feedback, and hope to contribute more in the future!

Cheers!

Gymrat76 said:
Hi,

I'm new to photography and am planning on buying the Nikon D70 whenever stock is available (with the lens kit). I've already bought a dry cabinet, Am-Pro 55L from DigitalPoint (how is this cabinet, is it ok?)

Was wondering if I should also get filters, and which should I get, a UV or skylight or both? How much would each cost and which make/models are compatible with the D70 (i.e. won't have to use converters etc).

I also plan to get 2x512MB CF cards, which brand is the better: Lexar or Sandisk Ultra II? Some recommendations would be great.

Hope to get some feedback, and hope to contribute more in the future!

Cheers!

the dry cabinet is okie.

filters - the most basic one to get is a UV/skylight filter (both means the same thing). cost abt $8-10, but saves u a big headache fixing ur scratched lens. any brands will do lah - hoya, tokina etc.... of course, there are branded ones which cost $30+ and onwards... :bigeyes:

CF - suggest u get 1GB and above. once u start shooting, 512 will run out pretty fast. suggest u look at helmetbox's post in buy/sell for the 4GB microdrive. scandisk or lexar will do. but, i know most shooters swear by scandisk. scandisk comes with lifetime warranty. get the ultra version as the write/read speed is faster. of course, it costs more too...

i think the nikonians can give better advice? i'm a canonite... :bsmilie:

btw, welcome to the ranks of DSLR users! :cheergal:

nightwolf75 said:
the dry cabinet is okie.

filters - the most basic one to get is a UV/skylight filter (both means the same thing). cost abt $8-10, but saves u a big headache fixing ur scratched lens. any brands will do lah - hoya, tokina etc.... of course, there are branded ones which cost $30+ and onwards... :bigeyes:

CF - suggest u get 1GB and above. once u start shooting, 512 will run out pretty fast. suggest u look at helmetbox's post in buy/sell for the 4GB microdrive. scandisk or lexar will do. but, i know most shooters swear by scandisk. scandisk comes with lifetime warranty. get the ultra version as the write/read speed is faster. of course, it costs more too...

i think the nikonians can give better advice? i'm a canonite... :bsmilie:

btw, welcome to the ranks of DSLR users! :cheergal:

sorry nightwolf, but i have to correct you. (this is a newbies forum, let's not lead them astray.)

UV and Skylight filters are NOT the same. A UV filter blocks ultraviolet light from your film/sensor, effectively "cutting through" haze, like the UV sunglasses do. Skylight (1) filters have a slight pink tinge to counter the tendency of slide films to have blue shadows. Generally, avoid putting cheap glass on expensive glass, it will degrade image quality. Use only the best quality filters.

512MB CF cards are plenty big enough, and they help you to not keep all your eggs in one basket. SANDisk and Lexar are similar, although i have heard that Lexar with WA does wonders on the (already very fast) D70.

leonzhu said:
sorry nightwolf, but i have to correct you. (this is a newbies forum, let's not lead them astray.)

UV and Skylight filters are NOT the same. A UV filter blocks ultraviolet light from your film/sensor, effectively "cutting through" haze, like the UV sunglasses do. Skylight (1) filters have a slight pink tinge to counter the tendency of slide films to have blue shadows. Generally, avoid putting cheap glass on expensive glass, it will degrade image quality. Use only the best quality filters.

512MB CF cards are plenty big enough, and they help you to not keep all your eggs in one basket. SANDisk and Lexar are similar, although i have heard that Lexar with WA does wonders on the (already very fast) D70.

oppssss... sorry for the error. my mistake... :embrass:

The types of filters compatible with the D70 depends on the size of the thread of the lens mounted on the D70, not the D70 itself. Not sure what the thread size of the lens kit that come with it, but you can always check when you buy and get from the same shop so you can mount the filter on the lens.

majere2sg said:
The types of filters compatible with the D70 depends on the size of the thread of the lens mounted on the D70, not the D70 itself. Not sure what the thread size of the lens kit that come with it, but you can always check when you buy and get from the same shop so you can mount the filter on the lens.

the kit lens is 67mm

Thanks for the input and the warm welcome! :cool:

Heard that a good brand for filters is B+W? How much would a UV filter from them cost? And should I buy UV, skylight or both? Which is used more often?

I must admit, I know nuts about DSLRs :embrass: Doesn't Nikon have some courses for new owners, like an introductory course for new users? The ones I saw on their website were organized by Safra and were for Coolpix users only? :dunno:

Where can I get good beginners course in photography, and not too expensive also :)

One more thing: What else would I need to buy:

1. Camera + lens
2. Dry cabinet (set to 45-55% RH, right?)
3. CF cards (thinking of 2x512 SanDisk Ultra II)
4. UV/skylight filters
5. Cleaning kit (blowbrush, lens paper, lens cleaning fluid.. recommend good brand?)
6. Camera bag (wife wants to get Crumpler camera bag, but doesn't look very "pro":bsmilie: )

Also, when travelling with camera, do you guys put silica gel in your camera bags to keep the inside of the bag dry? Sorry for all the questions, cause I'm a complete newb at this! :embrass:

Thanks again for the input!

Gymrat76 said:
Thanks for the input and the warm welcome! :cool:

Heard that a good brand for filters is B+W? How much would a UV filter from them cost? And should I buy UV, skylight or both? Which is used more often?

B+W is a good brand, and expensive one. Hoya is another choice. You only need either a UV or Skylight, depends on what is your need. FOr general usage, a UV is ok.

Gymrat76 said:
I must admit, I know nuts about DSLRs :embrass: Doesn't Nikon have some courses for new owners, like an introductory course for new users? The ones I saw on their website were organized by Safra and were for Coolpix users only? :dunno:

Coolpix workshop started earlier. D70 workshop starting this month, once a month.

Gymrat76 said:
Where can I get good beginners course in photography, and not too expensive also :)

If you want a Basic Photographic course, there are plenty. SAFRA Photo Club do conduct one also.

Gymrat76 said:
Also, when travelling with camera, do you guys put silica gel in your camera bags to keep the inside of the bag dry? Sorry for all the questions, cause I'm a complete newb at this!

Silica geln is meant for use at home only. In the camera bag, it will turn pink within a day i guess. Anyway, when you use the camera often, there is less fungus problem. But if you keep the lens in the best dry cabi with plenty of gel and don't use the lens, you will still get fungus.

Welcome to the world of photography.

Thanks for the input!

So if I'm travelling with the camera and use it often I don't have to worry about fungus/mould etc?

How about the dry cabinets? Do you guys ever switch them off when you go on trips? Cause they take like 6-7 hours to get back to normal operating RH only. So is it like a fridge where you NEVER turn them off, or do you turn them off when you go for like, say, a weekend trip? And it IS 45-55% RH set on the cabinet, right?

Anyone know how much a B+H UV filter costs, and which good shops carry them or has good prices on them? Thanks!

One more thing: I keep reading about back-focus issues with the D70! How do I test for this before I buy, and does this affect any of the cameras sold in Singapore thus far? :think:

I got the B+W UV filter for $47 from Cathay sometime back.

Was at Cathay just now, the D70 still no stock, not sure about the filter.

for a more low cost approach, can try

1. drybox+silica gel
2. hoya filters instead of B+W.

=)

Thanks Clive, but already got my Am-Pro dry cabinet :D

This backfocus issue is still a concern to me, its a real problem encountered by many, many users from all over, and most of them have sent their D70s back to Nikon for recalibration.. does the problem still persist in current production models, or was that only in the earlier shipments? If so, then I might wanna wait until they get this sorted at the production line before I actually buy it.. :confused:

Gymrat76 said:
Thanks Clive, but already got my Am-Pro dry cabinet :D

This backfocus issue is still a concern to me, its a real problem encountered by many, many users from all over, and most of them have sent their D70s back to Nikon for recalibration.. does the problem still persist in current production models, or was that only in the earlier shipments? If so, then I might wanna wait until they get this sorted at the production line before I actually buy it.. :confused:

for travelling, like wat pro-new said, chances are u won't have a fungus problem due to usage. wat i would carry on my trips would be a blower for the dust on the lens and body. u would like to get one of this, and mebbe a lens pen. this is a pen with a felt/soft leather that picks up very fine dust which the blower can't handle. CP is selling for abt $18. Mscolor at AMK is selling for abt $12. of course, if u really kiasu and want to protect the camera and lens from the occasional shower, do wat we were taught in army - bring plastic bags and wrap ur camera and lens in them! :bsmilie: eh, dun laugh, i do that...

dun need to turn off ur dry cabinet when not ard. just leave it on. yup, it does take a while for the cabinet to get to the right humidity and temp. besides, it won't consume much power. so, its alright to leave it on.

there are a lot of brands of filters out there. just ask for the pricing and see which is friendlier to ur wallet. anyway, for most users, i guess unless u're into special effect filters (colours, polarizers, soft-focus etc), we leave the UV or skylight filter on the lens to protect them.

for course, me too. i'm looking ard. keep an eye out for courses that some pro CSers have every now and then. they are pretty good for beginners. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.