Newbie Street Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubric

Apr 14, 2002
Somewhere East
lubitelee.blogspot.com
Originally posted by rubric
My first attempts at street photography using an SLR. Please comment.

http://public.fotki.com/suxi/street_photography/

The horizontal lines you see came from the scanner. No touch ups in PS.

Good! I like your 1st picture. The boy was really engrossed with the performance. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I like it too. I had my eyes on him quite early on, and tried to take a shot, but there were other kids' heads, arms and legs blocking. I had to subtly change directions while seated. Then the boy's father called him, so he went over and held hands for ages! The father stared at me. Then the boy sat down but kept moving around, playing with his elder brother. He finally settled down, so I took one precious pix of him. Phew!

Hi Rubric,

Glad to see you start posting your shots here, please keep the pictures coming! :)

In general I think the quality of your shots are very good. Great job! A few observations, to be knit picking, are:

1. "Enchanted" - I would put more space to the right in front of the boy and perhaps remove some space behind him. Generally it is better to have the subject looking/walking into the pic rather then looking/walking out of it.

2. "Man with pipe" - I would do an even tigher crop/composition to remove the elbow on the right and focus solely on the man's upper body, thus bringing more attention to his expression. The head behind him is also a little distracting.

Your shots are great. I can't believe they are from a newbie. ;)

Hey thanks Ziploc, for the encouragement. I agree with your views. Did not want to do any touching-up or even cropping in PS, so tt pp can see the unadulterated photos! Maybe I'm not a Newbie? kekeke... I started out with an ixus 300 last Nov and began using a manual SLR (Minotla x700) for the first time in late Jan. I try to read photography mags, books and websites, and spend lots of time focusing and composing. Streetshooter's reply to you was immensely helpful, as were many others who were generous in sharing their experiences and thoughts. Been inspired by everyone. This is a great forum! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.