Newbie reporting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hothatch

Sep 15, 2008
hi guys...newbie here reporting. hope to learn more things from you guys in this forum.

hope to get some answers for my first virgin post.

i am looking for a camera, one for beginner's level but not sure which one should i go for?

i love seeing those high resolution shots as i find them very nice and well taken. especially on animals or cars or scenic places.

what type of camera should i go for? 2nd hand or new?

I attend F1 races in Sepang annually and the coming night race in SG i also will be going. Wonder whats a good camera for events like these and as well as scenic places like Japan etc

sorry too many questions...pardon my newbieness

Hello...welcome.

I would suggest that you shortlist a few models and try them out in a shop. There'll be one that will appeal to you more.

I might enlighten you on one aspect: getting an SLR does not magically improve your photography. In fact, one sometimes does observe that his/her photos becomes noticeably lousier when first picking up an SLR.

This is one of my first few images. I'd say it's horrible. No attention to detail, horizon is slanted...but we all start somewhere.

n584910563_411125_9646.jpg

HI hothatch,

to be honest, ANY DSLR will give much much better image quality than non-slr ( excpet for the Sigma p&S using APS-C sized sensor) hehe

this is by virtue of the much larger size of the sensor.

So, if image quality ( or 'hi resolution shots' as you put it ) is your priority, then you can pretty much close your eye and pick one.

Hope you have fun shooting , and not get distracted too much about equipment :) Yeah!

DT :)

Last edited:
I might enlighten you on one aspect: getting an SLR does not magically improve your photography. In fact, one sometimes does observe that his/her photos becomes noticeably lousier when first picking up an SLR.

This is one of my first few images. I'd say it's horrible. No attention to detail, horizon is slanted...but we all start somewhere.

Hehe, actually quite nice leh. Add in a line of text will bring out some oldies feel. Like the 70's or 80's feel. :)

Ya, TS, give us a budget and also, if possible, shortlist a few model la. How about a D3?;p

erm budget around 800?

Maybe a Canon 1000D or Nikon D40x......or if you don't mind, a 2nd hand DSLR. But the budget you mentioned usually can only buy a camera body, not len. You may want to consider to up your budget to around 1K. :D

HI hothatch,

to be honest, ANY DSLR will give much much better image quality than non-slr ( excpet for the Sigma p&S using APS-C sized sensor) hehe

this is by virtue of the much larger size of the sensor.

it really depends.

this is so true... :bsmilie:
facing the DSLR monster the first time sometimes makes you think y did you buy it. :confused:

Maybe a Canon 1000D or Nikon D40x......or if you don't mind, a 2nd hand DSLR. But the budget you mentioned usually can only buy a camera body, not len. You may want to consider to up your budget to around 1K. :D

lens, not len. sorry OCD. :bsmilie:

anyway TS, as wranger said, if you could just up your budget a littel to 1k you can get alot more stuff. but that said, don't go crazy with the BBB virus. keep to your budget as much as possible. (else your wallet is gonna get anorexic)

...keep to your budget as much as possible. (else your wallet is gonna get anorexic)

Lol nice quote.

A budget of $800 really means you don't have much choice in the new camera market; you will have to go for a used camera (second hand) with that budget. The budget probably can get you a Canon EOS 20D/30D (if you have big hands). Just because it is old does not mean it is lousy.

This is some of what a 30D can do:

b8c65d1b7c9911cd9fdec2653f4baa49.jpg

9041a6781211a6ce50c9d7d6bdead9e4.jpg

Oleh_Oleh__by_k_leb_k.jpg

Please note that the budget will be stretched when you opt for a DSLR.

Lenses,
Accessories
Dry Cabinets
Cleaning Kits
Memory cards
etc....

Do consider carefully....

Nikon D60 850 SGD with 18-XXmm Lens) cannot remember the exact figure,

Status
Not open for further replies.