Newbie question on UV filters and lenses on A55

MachCurve

Oct 26, 2011
Hi guys,

I bought an A55 just recently, and it comes with the kit lens (DT18-55mm) and the DT 50mm. I am intending to buy UV filter for both lenses, but I'd like to ask the following:

1. I have seen the price list for the UV filters, but can't seem to figure out which is suitable for my lenses. Can anyone help me out with this please?

2. When not using one of the lenses, can I just use the original packaging lid to cap the rear of the lens - (needs to be capped right?), or do I need to buy a rear lens cap? The manual in A55 says that "A rear lens cap is not supplied with the DT18-55mm SAM Lens Kit. When you store the lens without attaching it to the camera, purchase the Rear Lens Cap." - So does it mean I can't reuse the original packaging lid? - Oh and can I use the rear lens cap of the DT50mm on the DT18-55mm?

3. Is it okay to change lens often? I know this sounds silly, but having read around, I'm just afraid that dust will accumulate in the sensors.

4. For buying UV filters, do different shops charge at very different prices? Is it okay to just walk-in into any camera shop to buy?

5. Oh is the cap at the front of the lens (which clips on there) called a front lens cap? It needs to be covered when the camera is not in use right?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I bought an A55 just recently, and it comes with the kit lens (DT18-55mm) and the DT 50mm. I am intending to buy UV filter for both lenses, but I'd like to ask the following:

1. I have seen the price list for the UV filters, but can't seem to figure out which is suitable for my lenses. Can anyone help me out with this please?

2. When not using one of the lenses, can I just use the original packaging lid to cap the rear of the lens - (needs to be capped right?), or do I need to buy a rear lens cap? The manual in A55 says that "A rear lens cap is not supplied with the DT18-55mm SAM Lens Kit. When you store the lens without attaching it to the camera, purchase the Rear Lens Cap." - So does it mean I can't reuse the original packaging lid?.

3. Is it okay to change lens often? I know this sounds silly, but having read around, I'm just afraid that dust will accumulate in the sensors.

4. For buying UV filters, do different shops charge at very different prices? Is it okay to just walk-in into any camera shop to buy?

5. Oh is the cap at the front of the lens (which clips on there) called a front lens cap? It needs to be covered when the camera is not in use right?

Thanks in advance. :)

1) just get any that fits your filter thread. for cheap lenses you can use cheap filters

2) buy the rear lens cap. it's better than the flimsy plastic cup. it won't fall of easily as well

3) it's ok to change lenses frequently. but your frequent and my frequent are different. if it's 100 times a day i wouldn't recommend that

4) don't just walk into any shop. i would recommend more reputable shops like Cathay Photo and MS Color

5) yes. if you don't want scratches on your front element

Hi guys,

Ans: Just get the UV filter with the correct thread size of your lens. Actually, for my case, I bought a cheapo one for each of my lens because I don't feel the need to actually add any filters, and it was there just for a peace of mind and nothing else.

2. When not using one of the lenses, can I just use the original packaging lid to cap the rear of the lens - (needs to be capped right?), or do I need to buy a rear lens cap? The manual in A55 says that "A rear lens cap is not supplied with the DT18-55mm SAM Lens Kit. When you store the lens without attaching it to the camera, purchase the Rear Lens Cap." - So does it mean I can't reuse the original packaging lid?.
Ans: Yes, you can reuse the lid that came with the original packaging. I think Nikon do that too to some of their kit lenses.

Ans: depend on the place you want to change lens. If it was in a windy, dusty area (dust is everywhere, but in some places there seemed to have more of these irritating small fellas), then don't change lens that frequently. Also when there are lots of water spraying around (like in the rain), don't change lens.

Ans: Yes, different shop charge different prices, they should generally be around that amount and not drastically more or less. For example if a shop sold a particular brand and model filter at S$X while other shops sold that particular filter at only around S$X/2, then you should suspect either the shop is trying to carrot cut you, or they are quoting a wrong filter to you.

Ans: When you didn't mount your lens to your camera, it is good to keep the front lens cap mounted on your lens to protect your front element. However you can put that cap away when you are or anticipate that you will be using and shooting with your camera and lens. No use trying to cover your lens every time after 1 shot.

Thanks all for the replies :)

Just wondering, is it just called a UV filter or will the shopkeeper ask specifically if its a B+W or whatnot UV filter? The front lid will still fit nicely even with a filter right?

Also, can I use the rear lens cap of the DT50mm on the DT18-55mm?

Last edited:
Ans: Yes, you can reuse the lid that came with the original packaging. I think Nikon do that too to some of their kit lenses.

bro... that flimsy transparent piece of plastic is easily crumpled and dented. i think it would be better to get some actual rear caps

anyways @ TS, you can use the same rear cap as all lenses native to the Alpha Mount have the same rear cap. they all have to fit on the same mount right?

food for thought

Okay thanks!! :D

Now I won't need to spend extra $$ on a rear cap. Btw, the front cap given by Sony is fine and safe to use right? Don't need to buy any other?

0002724270986_500X500.jpg

Last edited:
Okay thanks!! :D

Now I won't need to spend extra $$ on a rear cap. Btw, the front cap given by Sony is fine and safe to use right? Don't need to buy any other?

0002724270986_500X500.jpg

That front cap is fine. It is good.

Btw, the front cap given by Sony is fine and safe to use right? Don't need to buy any other?

.... why wouldn't it be...?

bro... that flimsy transparent piece of plastic is easily crumpled and dented. i think it would be better to get some actual rear caps

anyways @ TS, you can use the same rear cap as all lenses native to the Alpha Mount have the same rear cap. they all have to fit on the same mount right?

food for thought

Oh... sorry, I have no experience with Sony's camera... but I think it is okay, since you are keeping your lens protected in your bag.

Hi guys,

2. When not using one of the lenses, can I just use the original packaging lid to cap the rear of the lens - (needs to be capped right?), or do I need to buy a rear lens cap? The manual in A55 says that "A rear lens cap is not supplied with the DT18-55mm SAM Lens Kit. When you store the lens without attaching it to the camera, purchase the Rear Lens Cap." - So does it mean I can't reuse the original packaging lid? - Oh and can I use the rear lens cap of the DT50mm on the DT18-55mm?

definitely... dont waste.. do recycle.. haha

Thanks all for the replies :)

Just wondering, is it just called a UV filter or will the shopkeeper ask specifically if its a B+W or whatnot UV filter? The front lid will still fit nicely even with a filter right?

Also, can I use the rear lens cap of the DT50mm on the DT18-55mm?

Go read the Sticky Thread at the top of Newbies Corner, titled "Newbie Guide to Filters". You should have a better idea after that.
B+W is a brand, just like Nikon or Canon or Sony.

Both lenses are able to mount on the same camera, so presumably both lenses are able to use the same rear lens cap. Does that make sense?

Hi all, thanks for the replies. :)

For DT18-55mm, what is the size of the UV filter I should buy?

I know that for the DT50mm, I will need a 49mm thread UV filter cause there's a Ø49mm on the box. Thanks.

It should be marked on your lens. Have a look.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. :)

For DT18-55mm, what is the size of the UV filter I should buy?

I know that for the DT50mm, I will need a 49mm thread UV filter cause there's a Ø49mm on the box. Thanks.