Newbie question - focal length

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys.

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade from a Raynox to a proper macro lens. I'm still confused about focusing distance. I read that proper macro lens can focus to infinity while the raynox has only 1 focal distance. What does that mean in practice?

For example, I attach the raynox to my 50mm prime, and then to a tripod. If I want to focus on the center of a flower, I have to move my tripod forwards and backwards and look through the viewfinder until the center is in focus. Very tiring, especially to bend down and look through the viewfinder.

Will it be different if I use a dedicated macro lens? What is the cheapest macro lens available out there for Nikon mount?

Why not just rent a macro lens and test? It's the best way to decide.

You should decide based on what you want to shoot.

Are you looking to shoot flowers?

Or tiny bugs 1cm or smaller?

A dedicated macro lens will have better flexibility - the focusing distance can go to infinity.

If you use Raynox on any lens (including a macro lens) the focusing distance will be very limited, probably to a range of just a few cm. It is ideal only for very small subjects.

You should decide based on what you want to shoot.

Are you looking to shoot flowers?

Or tiny bugs 1cm or smaller?

A dedicated macro lens will have better flexibility - the focusing distance can go to infinity.

If you use Raynox on any lens (including a macro lens) the focusing distance will be very limited, probably to a range of just a few cm. It is ideal only for very small subjects.

Yes I am looking to shoot flowers. I don't understand what "focusing distance go to infinity" means. Does it mean that I don't need to adjust my tripod position in order to focus?

"focusing distance infinity" is usually needed when shooting distant objects, such as for landscape photography. In this case, it means it can focus no matter the distance of the object (i.e. how far it is away from you).

Yes I am looking to shoot flowers. I don't understand what "focusing distance go to infinity" means. Does it mean that I don't need to adjust my tripod position in order to focus?

Lets just say with Raynox for most lenses, you can only focus on subjects at about 5 to 15cm away from your lens. But for a macro lens, maybe you could focus from 15cm to infinity. You probably don't need infinity, but some flowers (or bunch of flowers) can be big and you may need to focus from 1 meter away to get everything in the frame.

Thanks for the explanation. But what about the fact that macro lenses come in different focal lengths? I read that 100mm macro lets you shoot further away while 55mm means have to shoot closer.

Hypothetical example - I have a 100mm macro lens shooting from 10cm away and focusing on the flower stamen. If I put a 55mm macro lens at the same distance, it can still focus on the stamen also? If that's the case, what does the 100mm or 55mm mean?

Put another way - when I use the Raynox on a prime 50mm lens, I have to adjust the tripod in order to get what I want in focus (e.g. flower stamen). Do I still need to do that with a 55mm macro lens?

Last edited:
Most modern macro lenses will allow you to focus to 1:1. Which means the largest magnification you get on the picture will be the same in almost all the macro lenses. The obvious difference is your working distance, so yes with 55mm you need to go closer as when compared to using a 100mm. With a 55mm macro lens you probably can focus on your flower without shifting the tripod.

Of course there are several other differences when using a different focal length... such as the bokeh, field of view, distance of flash to subject, etc

Thanks for the explanation. But what about the fact that macro lenses come in different focal lengths? I read that 100mm macro lets you shoot further away while 55mm means have to shoot closer.

Hypothetical example - I have a 100mm macro lens shooting from 10cm away and focusing on the flower stamen. If I put a 55mm macro lens at the same distance, it can still focus on the stamen also? If that's the case, what does the 100mm or 55mm mean?

Put another way - when I use the Raynox on a prime 50mm lens, I have to adjust the tripod in order to get what I want in focus (e.g. flower stamen). Do I still need to do that with a 55mm macro lens?

It's called field of view. You're a member since 2003 and still don't know what focal length means? I'm sure you can set your 18-200 lens at 55mm, then at 100mm , and see the difference, right? In simple terms, if you are shooting at 100mm, you will need to stand about twice as far as at 50mm to get the object to fill the same amount of space in the frame.

Go, on, test it with your own lens.

In macro terms, when shooting insects, this can help a lot as many insects get scared off if you get too close. Logical, right? And also told to you already in your other thread.