Newbie Quest for New Hobby (Key Requirements, Items)

Sounds good, many thanks mate for sharing. 4.5 and 3.7 probably not much different. for the cost savings i think i can live with it.

Btw would Canon/ Nikon give out extra stuff during comex time? Not that i plan to go during to the IT Show, but current freebies can't fight with a Nikon. E.g. Hood, Tripod(Although quality maybe not impressive), Filters etc

You seem to place a lot of emphasis on continuous shooting speed, so I assume that is very important to you?
D90's maximum continuous shooting speed is 4.5fps (according to the spec sheet). I find it very fast already, but you could be more demanding, I dunno...
600D is 3.7fps apparently, so quite fast too.
If you really demand > 6fps then I guess these aren't the cameras for you ;)

acertey said:
Sounds good, many thanks mate for sharing. 4.5 and 3.7 probably not much different. for the cost savings i think i can live with it.

Btw would Canon/ Nikon give out extra stuff during comex time? Not that i plan to go during to the IT Show, but current freebies can't fight with a Nikon. E.g. Hood, Tripod(Although quality maybe not impressive), Filters etc

During it show period, Canon usually upgrades the freebie bag to a Crumpler 5mdh for 600d & 550d, as well as kata bag and a relatively high quality tripod for 60d & 7d, so u might wanna wait till then. Do note though that the bags and tripod are plastered all over with the canon logo, so you'd be doing free advertising for them... Haha

Don't get from IT show. Anyway, if Canon/Nikon would give out extra stuff, I think all shops will give out the same stuff because they are from the manufacturer and not the shop.

Maybe you can go to Harvey Norman or Challenger and test first, the salesmen there don't care how much you press the shutter button :) but the main thing is not the shutter button, test all other items such as ergonomic of the camera (grip, placement of all switches and buttons, dial, etc), menu placement, etc.

I agreed with you... many of the lenses from Nikon arsenal came with hood... but not Canon. however I do believe Canon gave out tripod too... I receive one for my 7D... filters wise, I don't think many or any will give you filters for their lenses.

Just about every DSLR is 'immediately' ready for the next shot (i.e. you don't have to wait and wait for it to be ready), so the max continuous speed is not necessarily such a big deal. There are occasions where it may come in handy (eg. capturing motorsports), so you need to consider your practical requirements.

On a Nikon DSLR, there is a menu setting called 'Long Exposure Noise Reduction'. It would be available on other brands of DSLR too, but possibly with a slightly different name.
Anyway without going into too much detail, this feature if turned on, causes the camera to spend additional time processing a shot. Thus if you take a 10s exposure, the camera will make you wait an additional 10s before you are ready for the next shot.

Just to let you know, so that in case you encounter a 'slow' DSLR during your testing, you won't jump to the conclusion "oh, this ____ DSLR is damn slow and lousy".

As for buying during electronics fairs, you need to be aware of the price you would be paying at one of the reputable shops for a camera, and then compare it to the price you would be paying at the fair for a camera and all the freebies. Then you decide whether the extra $ you're paying for the "freebies" is worthwhile.

I would recommend you to get from John 3:16 in Funan 5th floor. The service there is excellent. Any problems you encounter, you can go back there and ask for help. They are very friendly and will share experiences with you. A difference in 10-20 bucks diff for a much better service, I'd definitely buy that service.

thanks guys... i am almost like 60% inclined towards a Canon 600D. I probably will attain more when i trial 600D vs the D7000 and price tag option.

thanks guys... i am almost like 60% inclined towards a Canon 600D. I probably will attain more when i trial 600D vs the D7000 and price tag option.

You should compare 60D to D7000 instead

not fair to 600D...

\

If you're the "kiasu" type, you might appreciate the fact that the D7000 has 2 SD card slots. You can program it in a few different ways: (1) Duplicate, (2) Overflow, (3)RAW in 1 card, JPG in another

Of course D7000 costs more ;)

price difference is about 500 dollars agar agar... no problem will try this weekend 1st. :) cheers guys...