Newbie need critique to improve skill

ndaniel

May 8, 2012
Batam, Riau, Indonesia, Indone
Hi all, kindly comment and critique on my below image, I'm new DSLR user Nikon D5100, 18-105VR, still try to find best setting, fyi I don't do PP much, except to achieve certain effect

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/nis_daniel/Unfiled Photos/DSC_0021.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/nis_daniel/Unfiled Photos/sunset1.jpg

I try to take on VIVID setting, it was overkill in my opinion, any thought?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa159/nis_daniel/Unfiled Photos/DSC_0014.jpg

We have themed gallery sections and a critique corner. Please use them. Do read the Terms of Service and FAQ before posting things somewhere...

What effect is it you wanted to achieve? Because your pics have been overexposed, etc and shot at high saturation, yet... you spot meter onlandscape.. that's a very weird combination, which is usually wrong but I won't say you're wrong, maybe that's your intended cause, but we've to keep guessing if you don't indicate what you're trying to achieve. Pls post it at critique session with the answers so people can assist better

ndaniel you will surely receive good help posting in critique corner

None of us can give you any critique without first knowing what you want to achieve. And like what dennisc had mentioned, your pic looked overexpose. If you want more helpful critiques, at least give us your exif information.

In addition: focus on composition and exposure first. Image effects won't work if there is no good image to begin with. Ask your yourself: what exactly is the main subject in your image? What about this main subject is worth showing? Does the subject need context (situation, location)? Read up about the basic composition guidelines. Focus on one genre (portraits, landscape, street..) instead of taking pictures of everything under the sun. Each genre is different and your learning process might be better when focused on one of them.

for second picture (dead tree)

105mm
ISO : 400
f 5.6
shutter 1/200
+1.0 EV
White Balance : Auto
Vivid +3 (obviously too much, what do you think)
sharpening +8
spot metering (this is where I need to learn much, don't know yet how to use metering, and which to use in certain condition)
Aperture priority

for first picture

ISO : 200
f 8
shutter 1/200
+1.0 EV
White balance : direct sunlight
Normal
Sharpening +0
spot metering (maybe I should use matrix?)
aperture priority

all shoot without pp, straight from camera

I'm truly newbie, previously use canon pwershoot G3, although I use "M" mode, but there is no such metering in there

please advise me, how I can make this both picture "ok" without PP, if that not too much

I have put this picture in critique corner, but however I believe by the role, I should have post here :(

thank you

Nis

Since you know little about metering just put it back to 'Matrix', the default mode. No point messing around with it, there are other topics more pressing. And for the record: every recent camera has a metering system. The question is rather, whether the user can access and change it. Even very old Powershot models had a metering selection, so the G3 should have it as well. Also, leave the white balance at Auto, in normal daylight all cameras do a good job with Auto WB, even the cheapest PnS.
For landscapes use f/8. (Reason: read up about Depth of Field and Aperture.)
Go back and shoot again, the dead tree needs a better light to make a good picture. Remove / reset all image processing settings. Check for the CD with the Nikon software.

Critique Corner

use the link above

using Matrix metering is a good suggestion but the computer 'thinks' and decides for you the metering of a scene

hmmmm I'll go opposite and suggest that you use the 'spot' metering mode if you actually want to learn about exposure and metering quickly ...... this feature is now very common feature on most cameras

Otherwise use Matrix together with exposure compensation +/- dial to adjust to your taste

Last edited:
Daniel, its a good try esp. for dsc_0014 (boy) and the sunset1.
For the sunset:
This wasn't anything special about the sky or landscape, but you can try "zoom-in" closer to the sunshine and under-expose 1 more stop.
Anyway the whole setting wasn't that fantastic, find and do something else.

For the boy:
You can try using a longer telephone lens and wider aperture, fill your frame with the boy occupying at least 15 percent of entire area. Because obviously there isn't anything else thats of interest in that environment

For the wetland/stream:
Try wider view, or "zoom-in" closer to the water-waves and make black & white shot.
or Wait for the magical moment with beautiful light, or do alternate stuff like macro of insects

Last edited:
Daniel, its a good try esp. for dsc_0014 (boy) and the sunset1.
For the sunset:
This wasn't anything special about the sky or landscape, but you can try "zoom-in" closer to the sunshine and under-expose 1 more stop.
Anyway the whole setting wasn't that fantastic, find and do something else.

For the boy:
You can try using a longer telephone lens and wider aperture, fill your frame with the boy occupying at least 15 percent of entire area. Because obviously there isn't anything else thats of interest in that environment

For the wetland/stream:
Try wider view, or "zoom-in" closer to the water-waves and make black & white shot.
or Wait for the magical moment with beautiful light, or do alternate stuff like macro of insects

Wah thank you for your feed back, definitely I will need to learn more, still confuse how to set camera up, and how to use all feature in this camera

If you are from Singapore, you can find from this forum(clubsnap), goto "Gatherings and outings" and look for "To Start Photography Tips with Outing." organized by Billy Ng for this weekends where he will help newbies with starting photography.

If you are from Singapore, you can find from this forum(clubsnap), goto "Gatherings and outings" and look for "To Start Photography Tips with Outing." organized by Billy Ng for this weekends where he will help newbies with starting photography.

I live in Batam, just next to singapore, will see if I have time to join you're all in outing, thanks for letting me know