NEWBIE Looking for a DSLR for my needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
what you can do is to sit down with a piece of paper, then list down the camera body that you have shortlisted

write down their pros/cons

list down also the additional things (like lenses/flash/batteryg grip etc) of these camera bodies

make you decision based on the camera with most pros, and also the best

Different people have different expectations and needs, so even for the same cameras (eg D90 & 550D), Person A's pros/cons will be different from Person B

Other than the camera body, you will also need to consider the lenses

for example...
I will prefer the the Canon 550D as I can get the canon EF 50mm f1.8(at about $120) to go with it. The Nikon's AF 50mm f/1.8D will be about $180.... but some people will say that the Nikon's 50mm lens is better than the Canon's 50mm...

So it's your own call if you think the extra $60 is worth it or not

maybe you don't want the 50mm prime, but that's just an example...

I will need to do more research on the gears... Will tryout your listing methods...
Thank you so much..:)

dats her sis and she sold it already.

Yup! That's my sisters 500d
And she has long sold it...
I wanted to get a Dslr of my own to keep e passion in photography going...
Thanks sinned79 for explaining

i get amused sometimes when i read some threads. and this is one of them.

TS asks for newbie advice on buying DSLR.
Newbie is pro in many modes. and has used Canon 500d.
Newbie posts for friend to sell friends nikon D5000.

umm in my opinion TS could have had any of those two cameras for cheap.

any ways back on topic TS should pay heed to photoart and tecnica's advice as its a more logical approach.

So sorry...
I guess I can't put myself in newbie.
My friend wanted to sell me her d5000 but I didn't quite like the feel of it so I help her to post it up.... My sis bought n sold the 500d long ago... Really sorry for the misunderstanding

Hahaha well there wasn't really a misunderstanding to begin with, or was there?
Any comments on your experience with the 500D? Did you like it? What were you happy/unhappy about when using it?
Not sure what you mean by "...still need to buck on one other modes"

1.5K total budget leaves you around 1.3K for camera and lens(es). Not too shabby. Should be able to find a decent 2nd hand entry or 'enthusiast' DSLR with a kit lens and possibly a fast 50mm lens (eg. 50/1.8) for that budget.

Really loved the feel of canon camera but I felt that pics ain't so natural to me...
Are there any models that could suit me without burning a hole in my pocket?

TS is an interesting character. Use his sister 500D till she told that away. Just poster wts a Nikon D500. What's wrong with those cams?
Why didn't he took over his sister's cam (pay her) or keep the nikon (his or selling for someone) and save some of the $$$ to buy additional lenses....

Sorry...
When my sis had e 500d I was still schooling n didn't wanted to pick up photography...
That Nikon d5000 was posted on behalf of my friend

Dannywfs said:
"Are there any models that could suit me"

How that we know what model that suit to u? You need to do you own research your homework before.
And
If you found that the canon colour it look unnatural for u then don't look back at canon just go and research for another model.
And
From start till now I read your thread it was funny, You mention and mention about this and that does not suit you, don't you think your own already got the answer?

Well the TS did post "But now im gettin a dslr for my own So should I actually get a semi pro cam or stick to a beginner one,"

to me, it's just a plain question. :dunno:

the rebel models are considered beginner series, but within the few xxxD bodies, there can be improvement between each model. i.e 550D's full HD 24/25fps video over 500D's 20fps only.

for semi-pro, it can be anything from 60D to 7D and D7000 to D300s, depending on how your define it.

TS may not know the advantages which a semi-pro camera may bring as he only handled the 500D and perhaps D5000 before, that's why he is asking this question?

if you cannot even decide till now what camera you can use, then sorry you have low passion for photography. A person with passion will already use any camera, go shoot photos and know what is limiting him and thus what to buy.......

You posted a question, and members take the trouble to reply you. You delete the whole thread after you gotton the answers. You are not just delete your own post but other people posts as well. Showing no respect of others.

Just a get a semi pro body like u said...the 60D & start shooting.No point procrastinating here...Just my 2 cents!

You posted a question, and members take the trouble to reply you. You delete the whole thread after you gotton the answers. You are not just delete your own post but other people posts as well. Showing no respect of others.

So sorry...
I thought of starting e new question as that thread may not be useful.... Really apologise to those that were offended

So sorry guys for all the troubles that I've caused
All the weird questions or useless points I've made...
I should have do more research and questioning before I post anything on the forum... My apologies for that. Will now do more researching and then do more tryouts...
However I still need help too...
Thanks

Danny

Since you are already familiar with 500D, why not take up a 500D with some kit lens at the BnS section? With 18-55mm kit lens and you might want to consider adding 50mm F1.8 ($100 2nd hand), and an optional 55-250mm IS? Buy a cheap flash and you might not need a fast/wide constant aperture zoom lens. In the end it is still the skill and not gear.

you will find that you can easily get this gear within $1k

500D does trump many of the early model DSLRs which "pros" were using at that time, too. so think a little...shoot a lot ;)

have fun! (I am a 500D user w 50mm F1.8. loads of fun, cheap but good enough gear)

Last edited:
After you are able to read up more, you should be able to know all brand of dslr in the market is able to fit your needs. Most of the time if the picture does not comes up well, it is the photographer not the camera especially in modern dslr grade cameras. You want help? then all the help is already here in this newbie forum, just scroll thru the thousands of other threads here with tonnes of useful information then go and think for yourself what you want to buy. Asking others what you should buy is a stupid idea since no one else know better than yourself your preferrences

Fireemblem said:
After you are able to read up more, you should be able to know all brand of dslr in the market is able to fit your needs. Most of the time if the picture does not comes up well, it is the photographer not the camera especially in modern dslr grade cameras. You want help? then all the help is already here in this newbie forum, just scroll thru the thousands of other threads here with tonnes of useful information then go and think for yourself what you want to buy. Asking others what you should buy is a stupid idea since no one else know better than yourself your preferrences

Yup agree with it, if not u just search it on this forum , if not mr.google it will help you a lot...
Anyway you should understand much or less 1st does not mean you shoot around few times few month or even a years you already in another of stage...a nice picture does not mean need semi-pro camera only can do it..

Boy u need to learn to walk before u run.
Anyways if you are free join some outing to learn from those senior in Clubsnap...
There all are kind to teach...

Enjoys

So sorry...
I thought of starting e new question as that thread may not be useful.... Really apologise to those that were offended

You can explain why you close this thread as a last entry and then start a new one.

I will need to do more research on the gears... Will tryout your listing methods...
Thank you so much..:)

Please note that we have a sticky thread: FAQ: What DSLR to get?

It will help you in your choices.

Really loved the feel of canon camera but I felt that pics ain't so natural to me...
Are there any models that could suit me without burning a hole in my pocket?

Only you can answer what camera suits you best. Go try them all.

So just out of curiosity, what features are you looking for in a camera body?

I mean, u've used a 500D before.

So with that experience what did you feel was lacking? What features would you like to have with a new body?

Status
Not open for further replies.