newbie in film SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cast123

Nov 28, 2003
Spore
Visit site
hi, I started out photography usining P&S digital camera without much knowledge of the techniques. Now i'm thinking of getting a budget film SLR to try out.
As i'm really new to SLR is it possible to get a 2nd hand entry level film SLR with lens kit at ard $100? :dunno:

Not particular about brand, just looking for 1 something which i can learn from.

Any recomendation or anyone selling cheaply?
:dunno:

i'm sure others can recommend you second hand film SLRS around $100, but let me introduce you the nikon f601. I heard from my friend that those are going for around $200 at TCW.

Mine has been in use since more than 5 years ago and have no problems so far. :D

tks for the reply and recomendation will check up on it. :)

But do u have any idea film SLR can last how many years if taken care properly?
Also how frequent do you guys clean the lens.

cast123 said:
But do u have any idea film SLR can last how many years if taken care properly?

many many years

cast123 said:
Also how frequent do you guys clean the lens.

normaly we dont purposely go and clean the lens for the sake of cleaning it.. just screw on a UV filter and just wipe the filter clean, thats all. ie this way u will never touch the lens frontmost element

user111 said:
many many years

normaly we dont purposely go and clean the lens for the sake of cleaning it.. just screw on a UV filter and just wipe the filter clean, thats all. ie this way u will never touch the lens frontmost element

tks bro for the info :)

any recomendation from u which SLR is suitable for entry level? saw people selling a nikon F55, would u recomend it to a newbie?

Yep. Go for it. Alternatively, F80 is a good choice too :)

entry level nikon - f55/f75/f80/

u may also consider manual nikons

canon entry level - eos 3000v/ eos 300v/ eos 30/33/33v

minolta entry level - also have..

wah tks espn and user111,

will check up more info on these camera :)
1st of all need to know whats "manual" nikons ???

meaning nikon's manual film cameras those that existed before the advent of AF (autofocus) cameras , where exposure, focus, film rewinding all have to be manually done..this part of the story, let the nikon guys explain in greater detail ;)

to answer some of ya queries....

1....camera can keep for long long time....my f401 is eh....16 years i tink....

2....100 with lens is abit tight.....an ok one for learning with a 50mm prime will be ard 200++

3....nikon 01 series are ok...coz they are cheap and effective....

4....manual nikon basically as the name says works without automation...

a) load film
b) wind to first frame
c) adjust settings.... ISO, aperture (on the lens ring), shutter on the knob on the right side
d) after composing, need to focus manually....the focusing screen got this circle with a line....turn focusing ring on lens to get sharp pix
e) shutter away....
f) wind film to advance to next frame

roughly manual nikkor is lydat.... the FM2 is pretty good..

my recommendation, get an AF camera, apart from the automatic settings, it can be disabled and used on manual mode.....to enhance learning...AF cam with 50mm prime will bring u a long way.....

and to fill up the list of user 111...

AF nikon - f55/f75/f80/f65/f90
Manual Nikon - FM2/FM3/FE
canon - eos 3000v/ eos 300v/ eos 30/33/33v
minolta AF - dynax 5, dynax 7

cheers....

sorry to burst your bubble.. but the EOS 30/33 is in no way a entry level camera. it's more advance than the EOS 300 in terms of functions. i'll put it as more of an advanced amateur model below the semi-pro models.

same also for the Nikon F80 / 90X

oh i see,witness tks for the introduction of manual camera. and i'm really surprise that film camera can last that long(16yrs)!

mervlam said:
sorry to burst your bubble.. but the EOS 30/33 is in no way a entry level camera. it's more advance than the EOS 300 in terms of functions. i'll put it as more of an advanced amateur model below the semi-pro models.

same also for the Nikon F80 / 90X

tks mervlam for the clarification. :)

cast123 said:
tks bro for the info :)

any recomendation from u which SLR is suitable for entry level? saw people selling a nikon F55, would u recomend it to a newbie?

This is a great camera for a newbie.. and second hand probably in your price range. You can learn all the basics and get great quality photos. espn recommends the F80 (I have one)... This is a real enthusiasts camera with a lot more features. If you go for the F55 it could last you a lifetime and you may find it does everything you want... However most of us CSers find oureslves always yearning for bigger and better and the F80 offers pretty much every feature you could wish for (or aren't even aware of).. However even second hand its probably out of your price range..

Like you I started 'digital' and then went back to film to learn the fundamentals. its a great way to do it. If i had my time again i'd probably have gone for a cheaper film model such as the F55.... as i've now gone full circle and got a digital SLR.

Sometimes Fewer Features encourage you to be a better photographer!!!

Stroma :)

stroma said:
This is a great camera for a newbie.. and second hand probably in your price range. You can learn all the basics and get great quality photos. espn recommends the F80 (I have one)... This is a real enthusiasts camera with a lot more features. If you go for the F55 it could last you a lifetime and you may find it does everything you want... However most of us CSers find oureslves always yearning for bigger and better and the F80 offers pretty much every feature you could wish for (or aren't even aware of).. However even second hand its probably out of your price range..

Like you I started 'digital' and then went back to film to learn the fundamentals. its a great way to do it. If i had my time again i'd probably have gone for a cheaper film model such as the F55.... as i've now gone full circle and got a digital SLR.

Sometimes Fewer Features encourage you to be a better photographer!!!

Stroma :)

thats very encouranging stroma, tks :)

i agree to stroma in a way....even with dslrs etc...i still enjoy using my seagul TLR even though its manual focus and can only set aperture and shutter speed....

same goes for my f401....only shutter and aperture....helps one pick up the basics very quicky....

and not very costly also.....

cheers!

ps: hope to see ya in outings soon haha..

Status
Not open for further replies.