New to the Fuji Series - What lens should I look at?

Necroist

Jan 27, 2002
www.ragingbox.com
Hi guys!

I'm a not so new X-T1 owner (got it almost a year back) and I'm only using the 18-55mm lens right now.

I used to have a Canon 5D Classic with a 24-70 f/2.8L and and 50mm f/1.8 which have served me well and I'm looking to get a prime lens as my next purchase.

I've read up on the 35mm f/1.4 and heard really good things on it but I'm wondering if there's anything else out there that you feel is of a good value.

I heard that using other older mount lens might also be more cost-value even after buying the adapter for it and I'm open to recommendations there as well.

Hoping to learn from the pros here!

Welcome ! :)

U stated u are clearly looking for a prime and since u had the 50/1.8 , the XF35/1.4 seems to be the best bet.

The performance of this lens , though a first generation lens is now much enhanced with firmware ver 4.00 in the X-T1, much faster, and yes I really recommend it , especially at its price point.

Other than the XF35, depending on what other focal lengths u r looking at. The XF18/2 is also a great bang for buck lens. The XF23/1.4 will be the 35mm shooter's choice while the XF60/2.4 or the XF56/1.2 are two great choices for portraits.

Welcome to the club!

Well if you can live with manual focus, and love classic render more than clinical render from modern lens, heading into adapted lens is a good choice. If you're looking for lenses with f1.4/f1.2, sure you have to pay for the extra speed. Normally, f1.8 legacy lens is cheap, some might cost you not more than 100SGD, depends on which brand you go for. F1.4 lens costs around 200SGD, and f1.2 can goes up to 800! I think f1.4 should be a good start for you, if you expect the same speed of xf35. As for brand, do a little bit if research, and you shall find something you like very soon!

Another thing that's worth checking out is the focal length reducer. It has more functions and perks compared with the normal "dumb" adapter. I don't wanna bore you with all the technical details, so do Google about it!

Hi welcome. If you are into manual lens, I strongly recommend you the zeiss sonnar 50 f1.5. Compact, sharp and renders beautifully.

Thanks guys!

The XF 35/1.4 does look like it will suit me quite well.

@ahblack, is there any brand in particular I should be looking at for a f/1.4 manual? Where should I go to hunt them down as well?

Do all adapted lenses lose their AF functionality?

There are just too many choices! Hahaha... Olympus Zuiko (not 4/3 or m4/3), Minolta MD/FD, Fujica-X, Takumar, Carl Zeiss, Russian lenses like Jupiter & Helios, etc...

Maybe you can start with Takumar? They offer great contrast and sharpness at great price! Maybe from there you can slowly look into other lenses as well!

Currently, I have 2 M42 fujinon lenses, EBC 50mm f1.4 and 55mm f1.6. I use them lens turbo 😁

If you want, maybe can have a look at my Flickr. I have some albums there with several lenses I tested. Maybe you might find something you like.

Forgot to answer one of your question.

Your hunting ground, evilBay... I got most of mine from there. You can try looking into B&S, but rarely in good price.

Hi BC, given that Fuji just release the 16mm and 90mm.
Do you think having these 2 would be versatile enough for overseas trip?

Hi BC, given that Fuji just release the 16mm and 90mm.
Do you think having these 2 would be versatile enough for overseas trip?

It depends on your needs for the trip, landscape? Street?

I don't own both lens but I did try out the 16mm and it is a very bulit lens with good sharpness but personally I wouldn't bring it overseas because of its weight. As for the 90mm, i haven't got a chance to try and I don't usually shoot at the focal length so I can't give u much advice.

Ha I'm still new to Fujifilm but I can share with you my setup.
I brought along 35mm, 23mm and the 27mm for my recent short trip to KL and I found myself using the 23mm more for interior shots of buildings and food. When I'm out for shopping or just wandering the streets in the day, the 27mm was glued on to my XT-10 and rest of the magically lens was left stored in my bag. Before the trip I thought I would using the 35mm most of the time but in the end it was only used for a few portraits...

There are times when I wish I have the 10-24mm with me for those challenging shots in tight corners and dark spaces where I believe it will help a lot if you are shooting interiors or even huge cityscapes at night with the help of OIS.

Just my 2 cents on this, hope this helps because we might have different style in shooting and I personally believe in traveling light with small primes and prob just 1 zoom. Cheers! :)

16mm + 90mm for trip, seems a bit too extreme to me hahaha...

the XF16 will be enough for you to shoot lanscape, indoor tight space and maybe some street shots. I think XF90 is a bit too limited, unless you shoot like sniper, I doubt there's many uses for the lens. I mean, it's totally depends on the photographer, no one will say anything if one uses XF90 for everything, just that it's a "too long/too short" lens for me.

I would suggest you pick either one of the lenses, add another zoom to replace the lens you cross out.
XF16 + XF55-230 or XF18-55 + XF90

For trips, I will bring 1 UWA, 1 WA and 1 short tele(50mm). If die die want me to pick 2 lens, I guess I will go with 12mm (still can crop a bit if really too wide) + 50mm (I'm a 50mm guy, I have yet to find myself needing longer zoom during trips, but I would imagine I'll need 1 if I were to visit a zoo...)

Thank you for the reply! I'm going Latin American so I'm looking for something versatile yet light.
I thought I won't mind something heavier for the quality of image I can get.
I suspect 16mm can solve most of my wide angle problem. Anything less will cause too much distortion?

Ahblack, thank you. I think you are refering to XF 55-200mm?

Actually I'm thinking I should just bring 16mm and 35mm for my trip.
Should be enough for most stuff.

Sounds good , 24 to 50mm covered :)
Try not to burden yourself with too much lenses, and bring along the one that u use the most

For traveling, if you are looking at 16mm, may I suggest the 14mm instead.
It's way lighter and a superb lenses even though it is slower.

Actually I'm thinking I should just bring 16mm and 35mm for my trip.
Should be enough for most stuff.

There's no perfect choice but the best choice for your needs :)

Most importantly is to enjoy yourself shoot more!

I'm beginning to love the 35mm more than my 23mm these days! I'm sure it will serve u well for the trip, cheers.

Since you don't mind the weight, have u considered the 16-55?

There's no perfect choice but the best choice for your needs :)

Most importantly is to enjoy yourself shoot more!

I'm beginning to love the 35mm more than my 23mm these days! I'm sure it will serve u well for the trip, cheers.

Since you don't mind the weight, have u considered the 16-55?

Thanx Sim. No I have not considered that though that's a good idea.

I used to be a Nikon guy and I love the 50mm 1.8. So I know that I'm probably looking for prime lens with <2 preferably.
Sure the view is really limited but I love the bokeh and how the limitation encourage you to be creative with framing.

So I'm new to Fujifilm X-series and have the opportunity to build the lens collection from the ground up.
It seems that 16, 35 and 90 is a killer combo.

Maybe I should start a new thread on your favourite lens combo.