New to sony Nex-5r and also a newbie shooter

Yeo Wei Leong

Jul 28, 2013
Hi all,

I've just gotten myself a Nex-5R two weeks ago.. a few questions/feedback that i wanted to get from you guys.
I'm using only the 16-50PZ lens

1) I tried MF but whenever i try to focus with the ring, it will always tend to zoom in then allow me to focus. I've tried using AF vs MF, my AF is giving me much sharper images. I'm not familiar with it MF function need help on that.

2) What can this 16-50PZ lens used in?

3) What are the essential accessories needed? (the salesman keep asking me to get a filter len for my 16-50PZ)

4) If i need to take photographs in the zoo.. what lens is good? (need advice if kit lens 18-200 or 50-210?)

I'm interested in portraits,landscape shots, currently taking fireworks shot. need advice on that as well.
hope to learn from you guys!!

Regards,
dawson

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've just gotten myself a Nex-5R two weeks ago.. a few questions/feedback that i wanted to get from you guys.

1) I tried MF but whenever i try to focus with the ring, it will always tend to zoom in then allow me to focus. I've tried using AF vs MF, my AF is giving me much sharper images. I'm not familiar with it MF function need help on that.

2) What can this 16-50PZ lens used in?

3) What are the essential accessories needed? (the salesman keep asking me to get a filter len for my 16-50PZ)

4) If i need to take photographs in the zoo.. what lens is good? (need advice if kit lens 18-200 or 50-210?)

I'm interested in portraits,landscape shots, currently taking fireworks shot. need advice on that as well.
hope to learn from you guys!!

Regards,
dawson

1. Try turning on focus peaking. It can help.

2. It can be used for anything that can be shot with a 16-50mm (24-75 equivalent) focal length. The limit it you.

3. There is no "filter lens". But if you want, you can buy a basic $10 uv filter for protection. Other than that, a dry cabinet/dry box.

4. Zoo will need higher focal lengths. Both the 18-200 and 55-210 will be a help.

1. Try turning on focus peaking. It can help.

2. It can be used for anything that can be shot with a 16-50mm (24-75 equivalent) focal length. The limit it you.

3. There is no "filter lens". But if you want, you can buy a basic $10 uv filter for protection. Other than that, a dry cabinet/dry box.

4. Zoo will need higher focal lengths. Both the 18-200 and 55-210 will be a help.

thanks for the reply rashkae.

since i already have the 16-50.. i should just get the 55-210 instead ?

Hi all,

Regards,
dawson

The zoom then focus is the 'Manual focus assist' feature. It enlarges the image to help you see the focus. You can turn it off in the Settings menu.

For the zoo bit, unless you want animal potraits, your 16-50 should work fine.

Last edited:
The zoom then focus is the 'Manual focus assist' feature. It enlarges the image to help you see the focus. You can turn it off in the Settings menu.

For the zoo bit, unless you want animal potraits, your 16-50 should work fine.

thanks for the tips qystan!!.. ya i wanted to do animal portraits. I'm puzzled by the focusing part as compare to those in canon where they can set to infinity focus range for fireworks.. how do i set that when i am doing firework shot??

PS: i am keen in doing long exposure shot as well.. example like moving clouds.. so what accessories are needed?

regards,
dawson

Last edited:
thanks for the tips qystan!!.. ya i wanted to do animal portraits. I'm puzzled by the focusing part as compare to those in canon where they can set to infinity focus range for fireworks.. how do i set that when i am doing firework shot??

PS: i am keen in doing long exposure shot as well.. example like moving clouds.. so what accessories are needed?

regards,
dawson

Turn ur ring one direction will either bring it towards near focus or infinity focus, and vice versa. Try it out yourself. There is not focus damping for NEX lenses, so just turn "enough" to hit either end.

For long exposures, u just need small f number and low iso. And if that isn't enough to slow things down, get a nd filter

regards,
dawson

The zoom-in is only to display your focus spot. The zoom setting is unchanged.

Stop turning the focus ring and the display reverts to the real view.

Long exposures, you'll need a tripod. Other stuff like ND filters will depend on what you're trying to do.

You can't take pics of moving clouds, it'll just be one big blur. If you mean time lapse pics, you'll need a timer. There's an accessory for that.

Suggest you try renting the long lens from Sony. Think of buying only if you use it often, the 16-50 is likely to be very enough.

Last edited:
Turn ur ring one direction will either bring it towards near focus or infinity focus, and vice versa. Try it out yourself. There is not focus damping for NEX lenses, so just turn "enough" to hit either end.

For long exposures, u just need small f number and low iso. And if that isn't enough to slow things down, get a nd filter

i noticed from my 16-50 lens .. when i do MF i turn 1-direction it get blur but when i turn the other direction.. it get focus den become defocus again.. the focus ring just need to be turn very minimal.. which i find it difficult to control.

is it because of my lens or??

The zoom-in is only to display your focus spot. The zoom setting is unchanged.

Stop turning the focus ring and the display reverts to the real view.

Long exposures, you'll need a tripod. Other stuff like ND filters will depend on what you're trying to do.

You can't take pics of moving clouds, it'll just be one big blur. If you mean time lapse pics, you'll need a timer. There's an accessory for that.

Suggest you try renting the long lens from Sony. Think of buying only if you use it often, the 16-50 is likely to be very enough.

something like this..
1000309_10151763583833501_1353433089_n.jpg

or this is done from photoshop?

i noticed from my 16-50 lens .. when i do MF i turn 1-direction it get blur but when i turn the other direction.. it get focus den become defocus again.. the focus ring just need to be turn very minimal.. which i find it difficult to control.

is it because of my lens or??

I can't comment precisely because I've sold my 16-50 lens. However, what I can say is that NEX lenses have a short focus throw I.e. it reaches infinity from close in just a few degree's rotation. There's also something called "focus beyond infinity", which may explain the defocus after u get your focus (I assume at infinity; if not what you experienced is normal, if ur subject is halfway between close n infinity, of course u will go from defocus to focus to defocus again?

Yes MF with the native AF lenses are hard, but you have focus peaking to help u.

What about the must have application?? i have downloaded the remote control apps using handphone to control .. but it not able to do bulb mode..

What about the must have application?? i have downloaded the remote control apps using handphone to control .. but it not able to do bulb mode..

For me, the most useful is wireless transfer to smart devices. Remote is also good for self group shots. But for other purpose, u may want to get the IR remote. EBay got cheap ones and they work fine

Been trying manual focus for awhile.. And still very noob in it.. Just wanna ask normally you use AF or MF?? Or I should ask when to use AF n when to use MF?? And for AF does it have the press half shuttle for focusing?? I using live view can't really see the focusing part..

Been trying manual focus for awhile.. And still very noob in it.. Just wanna ask normally you use AF or MF?? Or I should ask when to use AF n when to use MF?? And for AF does it have the press half shuttle for focusing?? I using live view can't really see the focusing part..

you hold down the Shutter Release till you feel the tension to perform Autofocus. and the green boxes will tell you where the camera is focusing on.

i normally use MF with my NEX because i'm fully on Manual lenses. it helps as well that the NEX system has Focus Peaking.

but then again, does it matter? use the focusing mode that you're most comfortable with

From a user point of view, how does this compared to 5N?

For a newbie, i recommend shooting with Kit Lens first before buying anything extra.

Uv filter ? Dry cabinet or dry box?? Why are they essential?? I only have 1 kit lens really need it?

Uv filter ? Dry cabinet or dry box?? Why are they essential?? I only have 1 kit lens really need it?

UV filter: up to you, can provide some protection.
Dry box/cabinet: If you want your sensor and lens to get fungus, sure, skip these.