New to moving object

alphakim

May 27, 2008
Hi all, as I am new to fast moving object, I can't get a good moving object while shooting.

Below is the shot and setting I used: F-Stop 5.6 - Exp time 1/160sec - ISO Speed 2000 - Focal Length 123mm - TV mode - High speed continuous shoot @ 8fps - Auto focus - AI Servo

Any pro can advise the correct setting?

7746454034_a496950ba4_z.jpg

Read up online on "Panning". Many good tutorials on YouTube too.

not an expert, but it seems to me 1/160 should not be resulting in motion blur for the man in green shirt and white pants?

the blur pattern looks like shaky hands
maybe needs some IS (canon user?)

can anyone verify what I think?

not an expert, but it seems to me 1/160 should not be resulting in motion blur for the man in green shirt and white pants?

I am using Canon 7D. The IS is switched on. I suspect is swinging issue plus 1/160 is too slow.... I will try to improve on these areas.

That motion blur looks like it was some attempt at panning, since it seems to be along the line as the bird's flight

Thanks!

alphakim, it looks like you missed focus on the bird entirely. IIRC, you should be able to check the active focus point on your 7D. See if it was actually on the bird.
It's not easy to keep a single focus point on a fast moving subject like this -- perhaps cluster focus (avail on the 7D) would help.

Another suggestion is to prefocus ahead of time. Not easy unless you know where the bird is going, but if this is the same show I saw, the bird flies through some hoops at some point -- you could prefocus on the hoops and shoot just as the bird flies through. You will need to anticipate a little and press the release just before the bird arrives to compensate for shutter lag.

Best way is to practice. What you can do is go by a roadside and take photos of cars passing by to see if you can freeze them.

From your photo, the trees at the background was more in focus then the bird so most likely the AF points was locked on the background.

What you might want to do is activate all AF points, Go to AI Servo and lock onto the bird before it flies by half pressing the shutter. When it flies, the ai servo will continuously try to lock on the bird in flight so you need to keep the bird in your sights as best as you can and keep machine gunning. I recommend Tv mode with at least 1/1000 shutter speed in good light or bump up the iso to get as close as possible to 1/1000 in not so good light.

555092_10150993152778166_204674252_n.jpg

Once you can freeze a fast moving subject, you can then move up to more creative panning.

That reminds me, got to polish up because F1 is around the corner.

Last edited:
nicorn said:

Tree, flower, plant, bush, rock paper scissors ;-)