[ New Release 2010.03 ] - E-PL1

Think Canon. Digic4 is found in P&S & DSLR but inside P&S its not same as 500D, not same as 50D, not same as 1 series. Thats why only the 1 series give u the 3D pop out look & not any of the lower end series incl 5D2.

TruePic V is like a generic name for the processor, u can tweak lots of things within. Also analogous to Intel Core2Duo processors, can have many iterations under that name :lovegrin:

Looking at the samples in Dpreview, the PL-1 looks pretty good. Dun know is it juz me but i feel the details in PL-1 better than Pen 1 & 2. So i must say the next Ep-3 is a little bit more excited in anticipation :bsmilie:

that is true...Think Canon...that sounds familar,Think IBM?is it? is that their slogan?:bsmilie:

I have not have the energy and time to go stare at the images recently,so can't really comment about the images yet :sweat:

Looking at the samples in Dpreview, the PL-1 looks pretty good. Dun know is it juz me but i feel the details in PL-1 better than Pen 1 & 2. So i must say the next Ep-3 is a little bit more excited in anticipation :bsmilie:

Perhaps the E-PL1 has a lighter AA filter indeed, therefore the better details. :cheers:

Think Canon. Digic4 is found in P&S & DSLR but inside P&S its not same as 500D, not same as 50D, not same as 1 series. Thats why only the 1 series give u the 3D pop out look & not any of the lower end series incl 5D2.

TruePic V is like a generic name for the processor, u can tweak lots of things within. Also analogous to Intel Core2Duo processors, can have many iterations under that name :lovegrin:

Just because Canon shortchanges their customers doesn't mean everyone else does. j/k :bsmilie: The TruePIC [fill in the blank] processor may be the same part, regardless of the body.

Perhaps the E-PL1 has a lighter AA filter indeed, therefore the better details. :cheers:

It's been mentioned several times that the anti-aliasing filter is less aggressive.

The internal flash of the E-PL1 can be bounced!! Human-adjusted bounce... :bsmilie::bsmilie: Those guys going for the hands-on can try it out.

img4b688e8a35d6f.jpg

Source: http://photofan.jp/camera/html/modu...id=7283&forum=45&post_id=67827#forumpost67827

got a quick hands-on on a very early pre-production model.

1. the E-PL1 does not have the same premium feel of the E-P2, but the finish is still very high quality, like a good compact PnS.
2. manual exposure controls are activated via the EV Com button (Up on D pad) then L-R for aperture, U-D for shutter. press and hold to run through F-stops quickly.
3. didn't test the flash but its very much like the GF1, no point trying to bounce it as such a low GN
4. definitely feels smaller than E-P2 and GF1
5. AF feels faster but i was using a UWA lens, not the 14-42
6. being an entry level camera, operation will not be as smooth as the E-P2 and will need to refer to the LCD often
7. super control panel has been simplified
8. direct video rec button is well placed

i won't comment on the handling of the E-PL1, for those attending next week's hands-on session, you can decide for yourself.

for those who have not used the E-P2, i personally find it to be the perfect street photography tool, especially with the EVF and a fast MF lens. for street shooting, the E-P2 feels more well thought out and complete especially when changing settings quickly, much better than my GF1. flash not necessary.

got a quick hands-on on a very early pre-production model.

1. the E-PL1 does not have the same premium feel of the E-P2, but the finish is still very high quality, like a good compact PnS.
2. manual exposure controls are activated via the EV Com button (Up on D pad) then L-R for aperture, U-D for shutter. press and hold to run through F-stops quickly.
3. didn't test the flash but its very much like the GF1, no point trying to bounce it as such a low GN
4. definitely feels smaller than E-P2 and GF1
5. AF feels faster but i was using a UWA lens, not the 14-42
6. being an entry level camera, operation will not be as smooth as the E-P2 and will need to refer to the LCD often
7. super control panel has been simplified
8. direct video rec button is well placed

i won't comment on the handling of the E-PL1, for those attending next week's hands-on session, you can decide for yourself.

for those who have not used the E-P2, i personally find it to be the perfect street photography tool, especially with the EVF and a fast MF lens. for street shooting, the E-P2 feels more well thought out and complete especially when changing settings quickly, much better than my GF1. flash not necessary.

nice hands-on there. i have a feeling people will understand the distinction between the E-P2 and E-PL1 once they get their hands on it.

I read a good review on a blog about the rapid development of the Pen: http://iantan.org/archives/2114

The latest addition is too plasticky. I'm considering the first one. I'm fine without the in-built flash.

Just received a notification from Olympus USA that it is now shipping. Does anyone know when it's arriving here?

Just received a notification from Olympus USA that it is now shipping. Does anyone know when it's arriving here?

It is actually on sale in Amazon over the weekends. Many in USA have purchased and are using E-PL1 now. It is so popular that it has run out of stock for some colors. For Singapore side, there are rumours that E-PL1 will be launched during next week IT show. Fyi, the US RRP is US$599. Olympus Singapore has yet to announce the local retail price.

just wonder if this is on sale in SG?

The E-PL1 was officially launched in SG 2 days back. Should be reaching the stores soon...