New Paper New Face 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyforever

May 2, 2006
As far as I can remember, recent years winners have always been either caucasians or eurasians. This year, they even allow someone who has only been in Singapore for 1.5 years to join the contest and be a finalist! What are the criterion for joining this contest??? The general consensus of beauty in the contest have been big eyes, sharp nose, high cheekbones. Aren't that all the features of a caucasian? Does that mean locals with pure asian looks have no chance?

IMO, they should at least have a minimum 10 years residence in Sgp rule for contestants, or plainly just Singapore citizens only to make it more localize since it is ultimately a local newspaper with local $$ support because locals BUY the newspaper.
Who is to stop a foreigner to swoop in the last minute and win the whole prize? Is that fair?

Please keep this a non-race bashing discussion.

If u are in the modelling industry u will know that there is no market for regional Asians with Asian features in Singapore.

If u see most fashion shows here, they are dominated by foreign models, most of them caucasians, eurasians or eastern european.

I don't see what's wrong with opening up the contest to foreigners, as this is not exactly a national event for us to send a representative. True that us Asians will be at a disadvantage, but if u go to other Asian countries, you'll realise that it is only Singapore companies who have such a tilted preference for models with pan-asian/caucasian looks to represent their products, and this "foreign talent must be all good" mentality is not limited only to companies engaging models. To be truly successful u need to not just be beautiful u need also to have an 'international face'.

Life is unfair, get over it.

I feel the same way. I love asian girls. singaporean girls. give me slitty eyes please.
but it's a complex system, you do know that the media (TV,magazines, etc etc) define what is ideal, and what is ideal for them is defined by overseas fashions also.

Perhaps one day china will be in vogue and then we'll see lots of slitty eyed girls around.
In the meantime, hope on!

perceive value, most of us are brought up to idolise western culture, advertisers are willing to pay top dollar for caucasians or eurasians, but how much are willing to give that to asians?

is the same same every where , be it job , food, school,

mattlock said:
I feel the same way. I love asian girls. singaporean girls. give me slitty eyes please.
but it's a complex system, you do know that the media (TV,magazines, etc etc) define what is ideal, and what is ideal for them is defined by overseas fashions also.

Perhaps one day china will be in vogue and then we'll see lots of slitty eyed girls around.
In the meantime, hope on!
Slit-eyed Chinese girls are the norm (as in for Asians in european show but does not constitute a significant percentage) in fashion shows in Europe. :)

As far as I know, areas in the region like MY, Indonesia even HK and mainland China supports their own locals for modelling. I mean just look at RTM1 or RTM2. For us, I think it's pretty much phat hope, 1 for the quality of the models, 2 , as mattlock pointed out, because people are used to seeing ang mohs don this particular brand of brassiere, or a pan-asian use that brand of facial cleanser.

mattlock said:

Very hard to find slitty eyes liao. Most of the local Asian models have their eyes enlarged. This includes some that appear in CS model shoots.

You can tell by their eye balls hanging in the middle of white.

Heard of foreign talent? ;)

Foreign ideas and also foreign looks always very special :D

jeff49er said:
Heard of foreign talent? ;)

Foreign ideas and also foreign looks always very special :D
Hahaha. I recall that line in Jack Neo's "I Not Stupid".

But really, Singapore also got beauties, just that we tend to have that mindset of putting down locals and idolising the more exotic non-locals. Recently they laxed up the rules regarding foreign immigration, we shall see in a couple of years (if u haven't already noticed it), whether the blue-eyed foreigners will still be exotic or not.

Gui said:
you'll realise that it is only Singapore companies who have such a tilted preference for models with pan-asian/caucasian looks to represent their products, and this "foreign talent must be all good" mentality is not limited only to companies engaging models. To be truly successful u need to not just be beautiful u need also to have an 'international face'.

Life is unfair, get over it.

That is absolutely true. Why are the biggest ad banners outside Singapore departmental stores filled with caucasian models when the biggest chunk of consumers are the locals!! :dunno:

I have no problems with pan-asian/caucasian looks, and there is nothing wrong with opening the contest to caucasians, but year after year, the same look will win the contest, isn't it time to promote some local looks???? who are these judges?? :think:

I don't think the Peranakan look can lose to caucasian look, and it's full of local flavour and still have the big eyes, sharp features if you really want to go that route. Quality is definitely not an issue because there are good looking people everywhere, they just need to join the contest! Prize $ and persuasion might not be the only factors, because these group of people usually have proper jobs and speak eloquently enough to represent. These people will not want to waste time joining a contest having an advance prediction that a pan asian/caucasian will win.

The girls appearing in public events are always the same desperate ones who basically enter themselves in every single contest / exhibition there is. You see the same faces again and again all over CS events forum. Like that how to become New Face?? More like "Old Face" or "That Face Again".

the MOST pathetic thing, IMHO, is when a local girl wears blue coloured contact lens and tries to act cute in front of the camera.

sandyforever said:
That is absolutely true. Why are the biggest ad banners outside Singapore departmental stores filled with caucasian models when the biggest chunk of consumers are the locals!! :dunno:

I have no problems with pan-asian/caucasian looks, and there is nothing wrong with opening the contest to caucasians, but year after year, the same look will win the contest, isn't it time to promote some local looks???? who are these judges?? :think:

I don't think the Peranakan look can lose to caucasian look, and it's full of local flavour and still have the big eyes, sharp features if you really want to go that route. Quality is definitely not an issue because there are good looking people everywhere, they just need to join the contest! Prize $ and persuasion might not be the only factors, because these group of people usually have proper jobs and speak eloquently enough to represent. These people will not want to waste time joining a contest having an advance prediction that a pan asian/caucasian will win.

The girls appearing in public events are always the same desperate ones who basically enter themselves in every single contest / exhibition there is. You see the same faces again and again all over CS events forum. Like that how to become New Face?? More like "Old Face" or "That Face Again".

the MOST pathetic thing, IMHO, is when a local girl wears blue coloured contact lens and tries to act cute in front of the camera.

Yes I do agree, peranakans have the best of both sides of malay and chinese physical traits. ;) But the numbers are not good enough. I also agree that the market here needs to change and loosen up, but from what I gather, most companies feel that local models are not talented or good enough, are too lazy, cannot dedicate themselves to a modelling career and have to put focus on studies first before anything else. AND I cannot help but to agree with you on the contact lens, I absolutely DETEST ladies who put on coloured lens thinking it's cool, but it actually makes them hideous in my views.

The judges are probably from modelling companies, beauty salon directors, models, ex-models (like wendy jacobs)... these ppl probably seen their fair share of local and foreign models, and they each have an idea of which one is more marketable, which one they like more, whether their preference is tilted or not is quite obvious.

Anyway, let's stop bitching, are u a peranakan, and more importantly are u hot?:lovegrin:

I also find it strange that fashion spreads are caucassian based when the target audience in Singapore are not caucassians.

Status
Not open for further replies.