new lenses???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Canon might be forcing people to pay for the IS lenses if they obsolete the non-IS versions. Makes more money out of the consumers, why not if I am Canon?

And, after the lens is out of warranty, the IS will fail and people will have to pay for the parts/labor for replacement.

:think: I had rather they keep it the old style than introducing one that replaces all the cheap solutions.

:think: I had rather they keep it the old style than introducing one that replaces all the cheap solutions.
We think alike but you never know how those marketing guys in Canon think.

We think alike but you never know how those marketing guys in Canon think.

Indeed. Looks like soon we'll see 70-200mm f/4 (Non-IS), 70-200mm f/2.8 (Non-IS) as vintage lenses. :eek:

Most people rather get 70-200L F4 IS or 70-300mm IS USM rather than 70-300mm DO IS USM due to the price.

Different strokes for different folks. All lenses exist for a reason. Btw, the DO can be had on the used market for quite a reasonable price. I have both the 70-200f2.8 IS and the 70-300DO. Seriously, I use the DO more than the f2.8. Like they all say, a good lens is one that you use.

If the removal of these lenses from the Canon website is an indication of things to happen. It is likely that Canon is consolidating resources to produce less lens varieties. It is also possible that they are reducing the number of production lines to trim cost. Either way, it means they will be more focused on improving the remaining lenses.

Also, the success of HD video may prompt Canon to add HIS into all its lenses, making it a niche and to differentiate themselves from competitors. Seriously, with Tamron and Sigma also having VC/OS and cost cheaper. Canon really need to differentiate themselves. Better optical performance, HIS, nano-coating, lighter barrel, weather sealing are probably some of the stuff. Otherwise, pple might as well buy the 3rd parties. Just take a cue from Zeiss, they don't have AF but still have flocks of folks craving their lenses.

Last edited:
Canon will be making an announcement February 9, 2010.
- Canon Rumors

I wonder what are they gonna announce...

wah..they gonna release so many new lens is it? with 1Ds mk4 also? tsk tsk....soon will have more B&S of new old models at gd price

what are the HIS lenses some people here are talking about?

what are the HIS lenses some people here are talking about?

hybrid IS. it is still known as "IS" but some have chosen to (non-officially) abbreviate it as "HIS".

Canon will be making an announcement February 9, 2010.
- Canon Rumors

I wonder what are they gonna announce...

Probably this "" Don't gamble away your money this coming Chinese New Year, save up for Can_n equipment" :bsmilie:

Probably this "" Don't gamble away your money this coming Chinese New Year, save up for Can_n equipment" :bsmilie:

don't even know if ang bao money got so much to cover even a lens...hahaha....at least i know i will have little probably enough to buy a BW filter only

don't even know if ang bao money got so much to cover even a lens...hahaha....at least i know i will have little probably enough to buy a BW filter only
you mean that you are still RECEIVING ang bao? :bsmilie: Chines New Year for me is to give ang pao for so long...:bsmilie:

hahaha...same same give lor...sometimes granny will still give la...but u know i really don't expect much fr them thesedays..take is also for the fun of it...hahaha...

Status
Not open for further replies.