New lens or new body

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your case, get a new body.Since you find that 24mm is wide enough for you, don't even bother with the 16-35

Hi Foveon, great advise. I will be buying the 5D2 on 12 June and will have fun with it. What I am trying to figure out is why ff gives a better DOF that a cropped sensor. I know crop sensor has a 1.6 narrower angle of view but it should not affect the DOF but have read so many reports that ff gives better DOF and bokeh. Guess I will find out very soon.

The reason for the shallower DOF resulting in nicer bokeh is due to the fact that you have to go closer to the subject to cover him/her/it in the entire frame for full frame, and as we know it, the closer the subject is to you, the shallower the DOF.

Hi ricleo, damn you are right!! Why didn't I think of that. I was just figuring the reach with the understanding that the bigger aperture should provide a narrower DOF and bokeh. That is the problem when one focuses on only 1 issue. I shot a head shot of my schnauzer with 70-200 at 105mm at f2.8 and the bokeh turn out so very nicely.

Primephotog, thank you, and I fully agree with you.

Hi Chris, Since ricleo has explained, I just want to add on something. Shallower DOF is not always resulting in better bokeh, better bokeh depends on lens design.
I'm eyeing this new toy too, but I will keep waiting it's price to drop to my targeted price or until I couldn't resist the temptation.;p

Last edited:
I upgraded from 40D for the same reasons. Go FF. You won't be asking these questions anymore.

your dof point size remains the same throughout sensor sizes.

hence if your sensor plane is larger in size, then a greater surrounding area that is outside the dof, leading to a *relative* shallower dof.

Guys, all of you have convince me that it is really worth it going FF. This I will do next week when I am back.

Thank you very much for all your valuable advice. I got myself a 5D2 on 12 June and am very glad that I did. It compliments both my 24-70 and 70-200 so very well. The 5D2 really makes my L lenses shine. The pictures is really great and details are superb. Unfortunately, had to pay a premium for the 430 EXII. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.