New K30 Owner

SKUMAR

Oct 18, 2007
Hi, Just received my K30 had, upgrading from K10D, I see a great difference, Loving it so far

Happy with everything, except the shutter sound !

When shooting in Universal-Studio, was asked to help with shooting a couple with Nikon D90, the feel of shutter in Nikon was awesome compared to K30 !, the sound was melodious, compared to a RAW 'Click' of K30 (BTW K10D Sounds the same way, but can be excused for being a 6 year old model)

Sometimes feel the sound from K30 makes the Camera Vibrate !! (Just a feeling)

Is there any way to dampen the shutter sound on K30, can it be improved with a Firmware upgrade (Stupid Question?)

Thank you

last time in a small drama show, I took my Kx and pressed shutter, it sounds quite noticable, so in the end, I only press shutter when there are some background music to cover the ambient;

I found even some Pentax AF film camera has quieter shutter than DSLR.

Last edited:
You should have gotten a k-5 instead if you have wanted a soft shutter sound.

You should have gotten a k-5 instead if you have wanted a soft shutter sound.

Yes.. But could not resist the unbeatable offer on Pentax webstore and justify the 300$ price difference between K5 and K30 when K5 AND k30 are 'Almost' Same
is there any way to dampen the sound

Thanks

Hi, Just received my K30 had, upgrading from K10D, I see a great difference, Loving it so far

Happy with everything, except the shutter sound !

When shooting in Universal-Studio, was asked to help with shooting a couple with Nikon D90, the feel of shutter in Nikon was awesome compared to K30 !, the sound was melodious, compared to a RAW 'Click' of K30 (BTW K10D Sounds the same way, but can be excused for being a 6 year old model)

Sometimes feel the sound from K30 makes the Camera Vibrate !! (Just a feeling)

Is there any way to dampen the shutter sound on K30, can it be improved with a Firmware upgrade (Stupid Question?)

Thank you

The shutter is a hardware issue, I doubt it can be improved with firmware upgrade.

Personally, I am not really that concerned about shutter sound. It does seem to me that the people with cause to quibble about shutter volume are those which may encounter situations where use of the shutter can disrupt whatever they are capturing, e.g. birders (perhaps, I don't know), wedding photographers (for church, solemnizations, etc)... It seems to me that most people should take a soft shutter as a bonus, if you ask me. I think the K30 shutter is claimed to be comparable to the K-r which wasn't too bad. Of course nothing beats the K5/K7. Still, there are bigger fish to fry if you ask me, and I'd prefer Pentax to concentrate on other things besides "shutter sound". After all, that's subjective.

Well, you can always wrap layers of cloth or neoprene or something around the camera. :bsmilie: