New Firmware for ZD Lenses on Panasonic L10

Status
Not open for further replies.

headfonz

Apr 6, 2006
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0804/08041701olympuslenses.asp

New Olympus firmware focuses on Panasonic
Thursday, 17 April 2008 08:40 GMT

Olympus has updated firmware for five of its Zuiko Digital lenses. Three of the changes are to improve the accuracy of contrast-detection autofocus when used on the Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10. The other two firmware updates are described as providing steadier aperture operation.
We are not currently sure how L10 users will download the new firmware (which would usually be conducted through Olympus's Master software).

The lenses with improved imager (contrast-detect), autofocus on the Panasonic L10 are:
Zuiko Digital 25mm f/2.8
Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6

The lenses offering steadier aperture operation are:
Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 Macro
Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm f/2.0

how does one update a oly lens without olympus master? :dunno:

Use Olympus Studio. ;)

There is apparently no way to get the enhancements if not mounted on the same brand camera.

I'd think that the two companies would have worked out this problem ahead of time. It's not much of a standard when your equipment can't be updated easily. They should be able to write firmware updates to a flash memory card and let the camera do the rest. Otherwise, what happens when another company starts selling four thirds "standard" cameras and lenses?

Who says they haven't worked out the details...presumably the two companies have the firmware for ALL the lenses and accessories on each of their sites, and their respective software will download the update from their own site...or maybe there's a central site for all FourThirds products and the consortium uploads the firmware to that one site, and each company's software downloads the software from that one site. How else would you update a Sigma lens?

BTW, your idea of having the files user downloadable to memory card would NOT work!!! Why? The firmware of both cameras would have to have the same bootstrap program capable of installing lens firmware. It's a lot easier to do it in computer software...it goes to the central site and looks after the details, rather than having a user go to the wrong site and possibly downloading counterfeit firmware.

Let's ask "the world"...has anyone tried updating Oly lenses on a Panasonic camera using Panasonic's software? How about vice versa, updating Panasonic lenses on an Oly camera using Oly's software?

Or if someone is willing to try who has mixed equipment (even Sigma), does the software for your camera recognize a different branded lens and go out to see if there's new firmware for it (I would do it myself, but I only have Zuiko, OM, and T_mount lenses, no other FourThirds lenses...unless you want to count the Lensbaby, but there's not even electrical contact with that one). BTW, I take no responsibility if something negative happens to your camera and/or lens.

They've worked out other details. You buy the lens, you must have the body. It's already been tried.

Putting the firmware on a card could work. You mention having the same bootstrap loader. Well, yes, a four thirds system-wide bootstrap loader would be used so that everything could be updated. Imagine that. It's like a system that works for everyone, instead of a system that's divided as it is now.

I don't understand your hostility. This is no place for it.

There's no hostility, it's just reality...I HAVE downloaded counterfeit firmware from a site I thought was the real one when the WWW was brand new, and it ruined my modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.