NEW Firmware for E-3 and E-510!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking...the manual focal length setting only kicks in when I'm using a non-ZD lens, right? I'm just a wee bit leery about the 50mm sitting on my IS menu

Yes. when the camera cannot detect the focal length of the lens

Yes. when the camera cannot detect the focal length of the lens
One issue I'm not clear is that if u mount an OM 50mm, do you set 100mm on the IS menu? Given that 4/3 multiplier factor is 2x. Can anyone advise?

good question.. :D

One issue I'm not clear is that if u mount an OM 50mm, do you set 100mm on the IS menu? Given that 4/3 multiplier factor is 2x. Can anyone advise?

Should be the actual focal length of the lens, but it doesn't have to be exact. Like with my 50mm OM f/1.8, I can use 48,50, and 55mm settings and it'll get worse the more you stray from the nominal focal length.

Man, I can get 4 stops of usable slower shutter speed at the tele end of my old 70-210mm Vivitar lens.

Soory guys...can you shed some light on third party lenses... so you mean now we can use non 4/3 lenses? Would the mount be compatible?

If you are new to this the following link will explain using legacy film (non-AutoFocus) lenses on FourThirds cameras:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/any-lens.html

Now what this firmware upgrade gives you is the ability to use IS (Image Stabilization) with legacy lenses.

After you've read everything at the above link, either check out the "Other Articles" link on that page, or click the following for lots more useful tidbits and infornation about FourThirds cameras:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/

I have a question for all E-510 users who updated their firmware,does your camera heat up even when the camera is off?After updating mine,I find that my camera heats up and the batt is empty,i thought i forgot to change,so i changed,and the next dae when i went out want to shoot,it was drained of power too,I thought i forgot to charge both batts,so i went home to charge,then went out shooting until the low batt indicator showed up and it heated up,so i took out the batt and left the batt and camera seperated for the night,next day i inserted the batt after the camera cooled,and it was usable until low batt,then i change my batt which i know is completely charged,and again,i left it alone for the entire day cause i didn't shoot,this morning i turned on,and it couldn't on,anyone else getting this weird batt usage from their E-510?

I have a question for all E-510 users who updated their firmware,does your camera heat up even when the camera is off?After updating mine,I find that my camera heats up and the batt is empty,

anyone else getting this weird batt usage from their E-510?

If your camera is heating up, period, and draining the battery, it's time for a trip back to the factory (assuming you are using original Olympus batteries and not clones).

The camera should consume very little power when it's not being used (enough to power the clock and memory settings).

In fact the last time I recharged and used my E-300 any significant amount was before Christmas, and there's still plenty of power left in the battery.

If your camera is heating up, period, and draining the battery, it's time for a trip back to the factory (assuming you are using original Olympus batteries and not clones).

The camera should consume very little power when it's not being used (enough to power the clock and memory settings).

In fact the last time I recharged and used my E-300 any significant amount was before Christmas, and there's still plenty of power left in the battery.

that i know,weird thing is,it only happened after i updated my firmware,unless someone tampered with my camera when i'm not home :think:,nah....impossible,anyone having that same prob?most prob gonna send my E-510 on mon

Funny... after updating my e510.... i dun have the sensor cleaning vibration when i power down... how do i activate it again??

That's not the sensor-cleaning vibration during power-down. It's the IS mechanism resetting itself. Check if your IS is turned off. It will vibrate only if IS is in mode 1 or 2.

To those that had reported difference in performance, I personally din notice any difference in shooting and focussing performance for both E3 and E510 after both firmware upgrades.

Cheap E1 incoming yohh~~ =p

No, you should simply set it to 50mm, which is the focal length of the lens.

For the very same reason, my Zuiko 50mm F2.0 shows 50mm in the EXIF info of the files I captured.

Jus wondering should i update my firmware cos my e510 is working fine right now? would anyone recommend me to update or jus leave my camera the way it is.....functioning well.:eek:

Hey Parkert thanks for the info. I have done the update of the firmware. Hope i dont have the problems that some of the others have...fingers crossed.

It may be me... but it seems the auto WB seems to catch more blues after the update... used to have a more "yellowish" tint...

Else nothing seems to have changed :) :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.