New Canon DSLR. Yup, I know wrong forum but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcoolboy

Aug 19, 2004
Just so we Nikon die hards know the competition. Just for your interest and comments (of course as compared to Nikons latest offering, the D2X): -
Canon will announce a new Pro D-SLR at end of Sep.

It is named, 1Ds Mark II...

* 16.3 MPixel
* 5fps
* Full Frame CMOS (36x24mm)
* ISO 50-3200
* Shutter Speed 1/8,000s - 30s
* E-TTL II
* DIGIC II
* available in Nov.2004

http://www.eos-d-slr.net/1ds_mark2.html

cheers,
bcoolboy

Urm, so? Would any consumer be able to afford it? :)

Espn a die hard nikonian, 600mm leh! :bsmilie:

Competition is only good for us "the consumer", but dont take it too personally! :lovegrin:

Me nikonian for years liao, years to go also! If there's no markII there's no D2! ;)

bcoolboy said:
Just so we Nikon die hards know the competition. Just for your interest and comments (of course as compared to Nikons latest offering, the D2X): -
Canon will announce a new Pro D-SLR at end of Sep.

It is named, 1Ds Mark II...

* 16.3 MPixel
* 5fps
* ISO 50-3200
* E-TTL II
* DIGIC II
* available in Nov.2004

http://www.eos-d-slr.net/1ds_mark2.html

cheers,
bcoolboy

u r providin wrong specs. shd b:

1ds mkII
* 16.3 MPixel
* 4fps
* 32jpg/11raw
* ISO 100-1600 [actual] 50-3200 [csm]
* E-TTL II
* DIGIC II
* np-e3 nimh battery :bsmilie:

d2x
* 12.4 or 6.8 MPixel
* 5fps or 8fps
* 21jpg/15raw or 35jpg/26raw
* 1.5x DX sensor
* ISO 100-800 [actual] 100-3200 [hi-1 hi-2]
* i-TTL
* en-el4 LI-ION battery

Photominia said:
Me nikonian for years liao, years to go also! If there's no markII there's no D2! ;)

shd b the reverse.

In 20yrs time, it will become outdated and cheap selling on 2nd hand store. Does that mean that we cant shoot good picture using it 20yrs later? Yes?

So, does it mean that we cant shoot good picture now using 20yrs ago technology?

Hehee.

As eloquently said by someone before: -

It's not the oven that bakes good bread, its the baker! ;)

cheers,
bcoolboy

espn said:

No Hard Feeling. Just my reasoning.

It is not a matter if the consumers can afford it but rather it demonstrates :

1 A healthy competition in DSLR circle (after all you need someone to take the lead).

2 A leadership status in DSLR by pioneering a new product with the development of new technologies (just like CPU & graphic card).

3 A timely release of update/new or now in demand product for the market.

4 Catering the needs of as many different individual photographers as possible from low to exceptional high demand. Showing that no single sector is left behind and every Canon user is as properly treated/cared for as possible (no biasness).

5 Allowing a more comprehensive range of product selection for the consumer.

I doubt there are as many consumers buying D2x but does that mean Nikon should not release it but instead launch D200 first? Then what happen to those pro who in need of higher performance DSLR?

After all Canon may not make profit for selling camera of this range (High investment, low demand & cant priced it too high) but technologies developed here may be implement to lower end DSLR range as time goes by. Thus balancing the cost of Canon developement and benefit every users.

We will probably be in for more surprises if Canon can price it close to D2x.

What Canon did is good for everyone (All DSLR users). Only thru continue launching of higher end/new product will the DSLR technologies progress at a regular/constant pace, allowing more choice of product and better pricing of product.

Before continuing, I'm just replying as is, I'm not whacking nor fighting to prove I'm right or wrong... so no flames & no wars.

1 A healthy competition in DSLR circle (after all you need someone to take the lead).

Having a FF DSLR doesn't mean a lead, neither does having an expensive one mean the same :) but i don't deny competition is beneficial for all.

2 A leadership status in DSLR by pioneering a new product with the development of new technologies (just like CPU & graphic card).

Again, like I said, a new product doesn't equate leadership just because it's FF. :)

The demand is from where? Majority comes from press & releases, how many are consumers?

4 Catering the needs of as many different individual photographers as possible from low to exceptional high demand. Showing that no single sector is left behind and every Canon user is as properly treated/cared for as possible (no biasness).

Urm, in which sense doesn't Nikon do the same? D2X - general pro purpose, D2H - sports/pj, D100 & D70 - consumer/entry.

1Ds, 1D MK II, 20D, 300D. Urm same as Nikon? Heehee.

I doubt there are as many consumers buying D2x but does that mean Nikon should not release it but instead launch D200 first? Then what happen to those pro who in need of higher performance DSLR?

Oh you'll be surprised, I see more 1D MK II owners than 1Ds owners. D1X was Nikon's flagship camera (read: top end) and it costs half of the 1Ds and same as 1D MKII's price. It would be more affordable.

After all Canon may not make profit for selling camera of this range (High investment, low demand & cant priced it too high) but technologies developed here may be implement to lower end DSLR range as time goes by. Thus balancing the cost of Canon developement and benefit every users.

You mean like stripping from the higher end to produce a lower end that's crippled by firmware?

What Canon did is good for everyone (All DSLR users). Only thru continue launching of higher end/new product will the DSLR technologies progress at a regular/constant pace, allowing more choice of product and better pricing of product.

If it does that'll be great, cos the price war goes and all of us benefits. ;) Good I'm not too sure, ending a product life with less than a year/half and forcing people to go further through technology, I'm not sure if I would like it, again, this is my view.

So no flames & Canon users don't start anything. Else wait coughing will begin and thread locked again.

espn said:
Before continuing, I'm just replying as is, I'm not whacking nor fighting to prove I'm right or wrong... so no flames & no wars.

Having a FF DSLR doesn't mean a lead, neither does having an expensive one mean the same :) but i don't deny competition is beneficial for all.

Again, like I said, a new product doesn't equate leadership just because it's FF. :)

The demand is from where? Majority comes from press & releases, how many are consumers?

Urm, in which sense doesn't Nikon do the same? D2X - general pro purpose, D2H - sports/pj, D100 & D70 - consumer/entry.

1Ds, 1D MK II, 20D, 300D. Urm same as Nikon? Heehee.

Oh you'll be surprised, I see more 1D MK II owners than 1Ds owners. D1X was Nikon's flagship camera (read: top end) and it costs half of the 1Ds and same as 1D MKII's price. It would be more affordable.

You mean like stripping from the higher end to produce a lower end that's crippled by firmware?

If it does that'll be great, cos the price war goes and all of us benefits. ;) Good I'm not too sure, ending a product life with less than a year/half and forcing people to go further through technology, I'm not sure if I would like it, again, this is my view.

So no flames & Canon users don't start anything. Else wait coughing will begin and thread locked again.
eh, i just wanna ask a question ar..

what do you define as leadership then??

My take on the practicality of the 1Ds mkII is similar to the one i posted on the D2X in another thread - the resolution (for both) is too high. Save for those who do careful tripod work, much of the resolution is going to waste, and just clogs up the CF cards and harddisks.

OzOn3 said:
eh, i just wanna ask a question ar..

what do you define as leadership then??

How about you? ;)

espn said:
How about you? ;)
hmm, i guess leadership to me is when a company come out with smoething better, techonologically advanced, higher performance in the field that it is in, and priced reasonably affordable.

OzOn3 said:
hmm, i guess leadership to me is when a company come out with smoething better, techonologically advanced, higher performance in the field that it is in, and priced reasonably affordable.

Ok, I'll accept yours as my definition ;)

espn said:

Yeah. Would any consumer be able to afford the D2X or the 1Ds MK II? :)

The thing is, these products cater to the Professional market, and AFAIK, Canon has already captured the majority of this market, especially in the field of photojournalism.

Well, then you might say that the 1Ds isn't catered for photojournalism. I do not want to say that Canon has a big share in the glamour/fashion/studio type photography, but definetely more than Nikon.

There are just my opinions. Don't shoot me down. :eek: :eek: :blah:

junyang said:
Yeah. Would any consumer be able to afford the D2X or the 1Ds MK II? :)

Yes, :) in fact I know of two consumers already aiming and is on the waiting list for D2X.

And I know of 1D MKII users from CS all consumers, for leisure shooting.

whoelse said:
So, does it mean that we cant shoot good picture now using 20yrs ago technology?
Mmmm... depends. Today we can still get SR44's and AA batteries - these are commonly available in most countries, and we still get film, so your ancient FM or FM2 will still work, and will probably work flawlessly till they stop selling film. These are rugged mechanical beasts which can keep on working. However with DSLR's, there are many questions. CF cards may be obsolete / unavailable when the successor is out 3 generations later, and our existing CF cards may be dead due to old age and use. USB/FireWire may not even exist. They will have broadband wireless or some new gizmo everywhere. You may not be able to connect to a PC at all. You will surely need replacement batteries, and for many digicams with proprietary rechargeables, they may not be available at all. The 16th generation 60MPixel 3d-holographic DSLR will make the existing D2X/1Ds look like toys. You wouldn't even feel like shooting with the current models.

IMHO, ........the main "improvement" is more megapixels wif a FF sensor. I assume the MkIII with be a DSLR with "improvements" along the same line. Maybe 22megapixels??Btw if the price is at a "fantasy level", no point even to drool over it let alone remotely consider it.

espn said:
Yes, :) in fact I know of two consumers already aiming and is on the waiting list for D2X.

And I know of 1D MKII users from CS all consumers, for leisure shooting.

Yeah. But the market of these cameras ARE catered to the professional market,. both the 1DS MK II and D2X are both priced very highly.

How much of a market share do they contribute to? Consumers who buy high-end products.

junyang said:
Yeah. But the market of these cameras ARE catered to the professional market,. both the 1DS MK II and D2X are both priced very highly.

How much of a market share do they contribute to? Consumers who buy high-end products.

At least Nikon cater for comsumers/professional who wants higher end DSLR with much better performance capabilities. If they don't cater for such market, how many consumers/professional will go for Nikon system. You buy a whole system once you decided on the brand, you don't just buy a camera body.

For example, in F1 races, why manufactuers spends milllions of dollars on such F1 vehicles, which is not allow to be use on normal road? It is to demonstrate their capabilities and technology advancement. The successful technology will be in no time, modified to be use on normal car. It the same for camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.