Nepal: Trekking to Annurpurna Base Camp - Any tips?

Bumping up an old thread.

Would be going on the Annapurna Sanctuary Trek this Nov/Dec, I have heard that facilities for charging facilities cannot be found after Chhomrong. Did anyone else encounter otherwise (charging at lodges after Chhomrong)?

Bumping up an old thread.

Would be going on the Annapurna Sanctuary Trek this Nov/Dec, I have heard that facilities for charging facilities cannot be found after Chhomrong. Did anyone else encounter otherwise (charging at lodges after Chhomrong)?

Yes, we did manage to charge our camera battery after chomrong (at Himalaya, I think), however, it really depends on your luck, it is not guaranteed you will be able to charge, so the best is still have a couple of batteries and charge them all at chomrong.

Adding some info after my trip.

I have used charging facilities as far up as Deurali.

There are four guesthouses in that region, I used stayed at the one on the highest since it gives the most reasonable rate for charging (100rs or slightly less than $2 per battery, which is relatively cheap considering the location) and also provides the best views.

An important point is to reach the place around afternoon where the sun is the strongest as the charging is done by solar power.

I reached ABC after Deurali within half a day, so did not stop to try out if there are other charging stations above Deurali.

i'm going Annapurna Base Camp and Everest Base Camp, tentatively 15 March to 11 April.

most prob going on my own and hope to meet some kakis along the way in Kathmandu or Pokhara...

anyone interested here? [just trying my luck :)]

i'm reading "Rough Guide to Nepal" to plan my route...
what I've gathered so far for Annapurna:

Kathmandu to Pokhara by public bus (7 hours), departing KTM hourly
Pokhara to Phedi by taxi (30 minutes)
Phedi to Annapurna Base Camp, one-way is 4 days' worth of trekking, passing through:
Pothana
Bhichok Deurali
Landruk
Modi Khola
Chhomrong
Sinuwa
Dobhan
Deurali
South Annapurna Base Camp

An alternative route is to go to North Annapurna Base Camp:
first by taxi from Pokhara to Nayapul, then trek via:
Birethanti
Poon Hill
Tatopani
Dana
North Annapurna Base Camp (the book does not have details of the trekking condition from Dana to NABC, except that it is along the world's deepest gorge).

Any suggestions/comments from Annapurna veterans?? :)

i want to change SGD to Nepali Rupee... where can i do that in Singapore???
I just checked Mustafa Online... it doesn't have Nepali Rupee....

I doubt the rates you find in Singapore would be good.
I assume you will be making Kathmandu (Thamel) your first stop?

Just have enough USD to pay for the visa and bring you from the airport to Thamel , its about 5USD (bargain with the driver).

Once in Thamel, you have countless number of money changers to choose from, most offer good rates, they will exchange SGD/USD to Nepali Rupees.

@ahbian:
about the visa, can we get visa-on-arrival at the Kathmandu airport???
How much does it cost?
Is the application process time-consuming/troublesome?
What documents (apart from passport) are necessary?
Thanks! =)

@ahbian:
about the visa, can we get visa-on-arrival at the Kathmandu airport???
How much does it cost?
Is the application process time-consuming/troublesome?
What documents (apart from passport) are necessary?
Thanks! =)

The cost depends on your length of stay.

You can check the pricing and download the form through this link.

You just need to fill up the form (also available at the airport) and get ready some passport-size photos before hand.

Upon landing, join the queue that indicate for people who require passport-on-arrival.

The procedure is really hassle free. Takes less than 5 minutes to process each person.

one more question:

What kinda travel insurance do you buy for Everest or Annapurna trekking trips???

Do we buy the usual travel insurance e.g. from NTUC Income???
I just checked the NTUC Income website for online quotation and it does have NEPAL...

Or do we need some special insurance to be bought in Nepal itself??

i read that helicopter rescue in the Everest region can cost around USD6000...
http://www.nepalguidetrek.com/travel_rescue_insurance.php

Thanks! =)

one more question:

What kinda travel insurance do you buy for Everest or Annapurna trekking trips???

I just checked the NTUC Income website for online quotation and it does have NEPAL...

Thanks! =)

U may want to check whether the NTUC Income covers trekking as an OK activity. Last time I used AIG which deemed trekking as OK and therefore within the coverage. Not too sure whether things have changed.

one more question:

Thanks! =)

My friend and I bought from Chartis and World Nomads respectively; it covered all the adventure activities we did over there- trekking, paragliding, rafting, bungee..

USD is widely accepted in Nepal. The exchange rate is much better in Nepal than in Singapore. Although the embassy recommends processing the visa here, no one I know has had any problems obtaining the visa on arrival. Dont forget you photo.

i'm going Annapurna Base Camp and Everest Base Camp, tentatively 15 March to 11 April.

most prob going on my own and hope to meet some kakis along the way in Kathmandu or Pokhara...

anyone interested here? [just trying my luck :)]

i'm reading "Rough Guide to Nepal" to plan my route...
what I've gathered so far for Annapurna:

Kathmandu to Pokhara by public bus (7 hours), departing KTM hourly
Pokhara to Phedi by taxi (30 minutes)
Phedi to Annapurna Base Camp, one-way is 4 days' worth of trekking, passing through:
Pothana
Bhichok Deurali
Landruk
Modi Khola
Chhomrong
Sinuwa
Dobhan
Deurali
South Annapurna Base Camp

An alternative route is to go to North Annapurna Base Camp:
first by taxi from Pokhara to Nayapul, then trek via:
Birethanti
Poon Hill
Tatopani
Dana
North Annapurna Base Camp (the book does not have details of the trekking condition from Dana to NABC, except that it is along the world's deepest gorge).

Any suggestions/comments from Annapurna veterans?? :)

I just did ABC in OCT/Nov last year. We did a 10 days treks. Ascended via your 1st itinery then went to PoonHill and descended via your 2nd itinery. Both ways, there are only 1 way up ABC and 1 way down after Chomrong.

And what we did was to use Universal Travel (A Singapore tour operator) for this. It is about 200-300 more ex than DIY but heck, they took care of us very well and the guide was great! And we extended our trip there by 2 days to see more of the city (Pokhara + Kathmandu) on our own.

There's no way to change Nepali Rupee in SG. We brought USDs there to change. Change a nominal amount at airport then head to Thamel to change the rest. Cost of living is low in Nepal, think I only used 300 USD for a 17 days trips (10 days ABC + 7 days city).

one more question:

Thanks! =)

For travel insurance for trekking, key thing is the evacuation. As long as got evacuation can liao... my group, some of us bought AIG and I bought NTUC ('cos I was looking at world travel).

One question on photography...

Did u use a circular polarizing filter?

I hope to capture the deep blue sky and water.
And the amazing golden colour of the peaks during sunrise/sunset.
Will a circular polarizing filter be useful for this purpose?

Thanks! =)

One question on photography...

Did u use a circular polarizing filter?

I hope to capture the deep blue sky and water.
And the amazing golden colour of the peaks during sunrise/sunset.
Will a circular polarizing filter be useful for this purpose?

Thanks! =)

Yupz, I did use a circular polarizer. The blue sky was captured! ahhaha.... err.. on ABC no lakes leh... except in Pokhara. But when I was in Pokhara, it was foggy/misty/cloudy....

Yupz, I did use a circular polarizer. The blue sky was captured! ahhaha.... err.. on ABC no lakes leh... except in Pokhara. But when I was in Pokhara, it was foggy/misty/cloudy....

One more thing... there are LOADS of stars at night too! If the season you are going is not that cold, you might want to bring a tripod to take the stars ..

hi blanketz!

thanz! will bring the CP filter! =)

definitely will bring a small tripod to capture the stars! =)
did you use the bulb mode with remote control?
can post some starry photos to share?? i can use the EXIF data (exposure time, ISO etc) as my reference.
thanz! =)