NEPAL [ A Family Trekking Travelogue ] - by limwhow & SereneXMM

And to every one of you kind viewers who have put in so many Likes on my thread, my great big thanks to all of you!

Taking our own sweet time to arrive at the Guest lodge...

By now every single one of the children had arrived at the Guest Lodge.
The porters and Mahesh had arrived at the Guest Lodge.
The only two persons who were still taking their own sweet time in walking was me and my lovely SereneXMM the Mother Goat.

We just wanted to enjoy the scene lah..
And slowly take in the atmosphere as we walked through the quiet village...

8303526563_5a2533f405_z.jpg

.. and of course, now that we have arrived, SereneXMM suddenly had the mood to start shooting photos again...
And she saw a group of children having fun...

8333057994_19770b89b6_b.jpg

"Papa, you turn left... and walk.. and then turn right, and then turn.. and then turn. and then make a U-turn.. and you will be at the Guest Lodge," our forward Scout walkie-talkied. "It's very nice!"

We did just that.
And we suddenly saw the guest lodge...

"Hotel Milan"
.... it said on the wall. Big Big sign it was.
Hang on hang on... did we come to the right place?
Are you sure it's not some ABC Guest Lodge or DEF Guest Houses or something like that? A 'Hotel'?
Come on lah, here in Ghandruk, where got Hotel one? Huh, what you said, Mahesh? Really ah? Hotel! Wow...
Hotel Milan, what a name!
I would have thought I was somewhere in the middle of Italy or somewhere like that... what an Italiano name, Milan...

8333315342_4659207bcc_z.jpg

It was later that when Mahesh explained to me that I realised that the hotel was named after the owner's son, a boy named Milan.
In the local language, Milan means 'Friendly'.
Now we knew. The Friendly Hotel.

But what a lovely Guest Lodge it was.
Beautiful view.
Here... this was how it looked from the lodge.
Man, I would wake up to this view every day for the rest of my life...
Imagine! To be greeted every dawn by the magnificent Annapurna South (on the left) and the Hiunchuli (on the right)...

8332284169_8fb5e17615_b.jpg

... even the Teddy Bear also wanted to retire here...

Haha.. AhLiXMM's Teddy Bear had made it so far up here.
By now, this bear was so full of dirt and soot on its face and body it had almost acquired a Nepali tan.
But still, for all its hard work, it deserved a victory shot here... with the magnificent Machhapuchhre at the background.

8303548137_4f1c695545_b.jpg

[Ahem.. this is the only shot that I dare announce my gear used...
Leica M9P with Summilux 35mm FLE shot wide open at f/1.4 with B+W 6 stop ND filter
.]

I think both SereneXMM and I suddenly went kee siao about shooting wide open in broad daylight.
Here is her depiction of a flowery welcome for us at the Friendly Hotel...

8332280513_44e3f526ea_b.jpg

Some housekeeping first... huh? No housekeeping needed?
LOL.. Every body was soooooo relaxed today.
I think the easy (yah, tell me about it, 'easy'...) trek and nice, cosy environment had put everyone at total ease.

The Guide Mahesh and the porters had arrived earlier. And very soon they were enjoying the nice warm sunlight in the courtyard having a game of bridge.
That was their favourite pastime. In face every night in the Guest lodges, once they were free, the men would be engaging in this card game.

8332275933_19eab7c993_z.jpg

And what about me? I was still lugging my daypack and trying to figure out which room to which children...
And trying to make full use of the still existing sunlight to dry my days of wet, damp, moist, mouldy clothes. Wahaha....

8333337306_36b239885e_z.jpg

The corridor was fantastic,
The walls were made of bricks, real bricks.. and the toilet cum shower was... just there.. there.. right at the end of the corridor!
So convenient! Man, we were so lucky!

8332006311_113ce0d7ab_b.jpg

The dining hall was also so cosy that the boy and the jiejies couldn't wait to get themselves soaked in the atmosphere..
A round of drinks for everyone for a job well done..
8332004053_21279bb483_b.jpg

We were for once, lost for things to do.
For we had never arrived in our destination village so early, ever.
So while the cooks were cooking up a feast for us, we were exploring the hotel..

Video on Hotel Milan...

[video=youtube_share;VuVsoKTZEco]http://youtu.be/VuVsoKTZEco[/video]

Some Information about Ghandruk..

Ghandruk is the largest Gurung Village in this parts.
The Gurung are a Nepalli tribe who are Buddhist and agriculturalist.
From what Mahesh explained to me, the Gurungs are a very hard-working and enterprising group of people.
Many of them have become business people, and some have joined the Gurkha military to work in the Middle East and in Asia.
It was very apparent to us as we walked around the village that Ghandruk (or sometimes known locally as Ghandrung) was a much more well-off settlement than many other villages around.
The houses were well kept, the facilities were well maintained, and in fact there were several solar panels on some of the roof tops.
Even the children here were comparatively more well-dressed and well-nourished.

Here was the Mother Goat on her Royal tour of Ghandruk.
8303575357_294ced6fc6_b.jpg

.. and the Royal Teddy Bear...
8304621928_8365ec9104_b.jpg

.. and of course, the Royal pony.
8303577881_5a14d44c99_b.jpg

Oh.. only thing was, Nepal no longer has anything Royal in her.
The Monarchy was abolished in 2007 after the various political parties formed a Coalition with the Maoist holding a majority.

tecnica, thank you!
The scenery is great.
How I wish I could say the same of the photography... LOL...

under such tiring circumstances, i would say the photos were really great. :)

Strolling around the village of Ghandruk

The weather was too good not to go walking around the village for some jalan jalan..
There was supposed to be two different Gurung museum. But from the way our guide spoke, it sounded like it probably wasn't that worth going for it.
Anyway, we were more interested about going around and seeing the actual village for ourselves.
Every corner we turned, we would find the mountains embracing us... the feeling is pretty magical.
I cannot begin to describe the experience.

8304646006_074182bb7d_b.jpg

It was a quite village. The local school, which until about half an hour ago was still full of students, had just closed. And we simply walked leisurely down to the school compound. But the main gate was closed already... aiyah..
So we just continue walking a round..

8303590301_6e105d728d_b.jpg

Hmmm.. interesting that they should also have hot spring here.
But the signage... looked a little more touristy though...

8304669796_c713ce3568_b.jpg

From high up our Hotel Milan, I spotted a Buddhist temple somewhere further downslope in the village. And we walked towards it.
It was a small Buddhist Monastery,
8303607633_f42bdacc55.jpg

The Villagers...

We came across the villagers, who smiled and smiled at us and Namasted and Namasted us.
Here was the caretaker outside the Monastery..

8304660254_4107199e6a_b.jpg

And a group of young kids whom we encountered and given our chocolates to. [SgTrekker is surely going to scold us for doing that.. LOL..]

8304672578_e6e0464181_b.jpg

And SereneXMM took a shot of this boy. Hmmm.. they are really quite well dressed, in comparison with people of the other villages.

8333286976_8eb24da88c_b.jpg

As we walked slowly back to our Guest Lodge, we came across this sister and brother.
We gave them a chocolate each and they hahahaha.. laughed so happily between themselves.

8303626499_ed7f2562d4_b.jpg

Aiyoh, what kind words you have for me, tecnica!
Many thanks! I tried my best.
But certainly could be improved upon.

sometimes, it is not about how much highlight/shadow you are clipping, or if the rule of third is being followed. it really is about being there and capturing the moment, basking within the atmosphere which is devoid of in Singapore. the technicalities may not be 100% spot on, but the mood is 101% full on. more so with such strong family ties.

ok, some may say i am cool-story-bro here but i have to say that i can almost feel the cool weather and serenity by just looking at all your photos.

great job once again. :)

Day 5 of trekking: Ghandruk all the way back to Nayapul

Yes, we had passed through the most difficult part of our trek.
Today would see us coming back down all the way to Nayapul.
The distance is not short. But the terrain is relatively gentle, though downwards.

Waking up int the morning and having a last look around in Ghandruk.

Video of the morning scene.. birds chirping, roosters crowing...
[video=youtube_share;hzdkmGTxM7M]http://youtu.be/hzdkmGTxM7M[/video]

Waking up to prayer flags and the Giants in the background...

8303630191_ff8f5000c8_b.jpg

.. and the children couldn't bear to leave Ghandruk..
8332008073_d45042f338_b.jpg

From Ghandruk to Nayapul...

Looking back at the GPS data, I must admit that we really trekked fairly quickly.. only about 3 hours plus from Ghandruk down to Birethanti.
Hmmm.. we must have been a little more seasoned by Day 5 already.. Or perhaps the rest in Ghandruk revitalised us...
The trek today would bring us back to hug the Modi Kola River...

Click on the image below for a larger version

We all started our day's hike fully clothed with the layers as the morning was still chilly..
And this was exactly the scene which I would keep in my mind.. that stretch of steps down from our Guest Lodge,
before we take a turn to continue our trek...

8303638723_c4853fd1f4_b.jpg

... which very soon developed into a comfortable pace. By now, the children were steady-poon-pee-pee already.
I think even if we were to say let's turn left and go towards ABC now, they wouldn't have bat an eye lid.. although we were really physically not prepared for that yet.. LOL.

8304694620_355a3c82e0_b.jpg

Heading towards the tiny village of Kimche...

Yes, Kimche would be our next rest point.

Haha.. every one was cheerful and relaxed and the atmosphere showed by the way we were more ready to stop and shoot.
No longer the stress cloud hanging above everyone's head like the first couple of days.
Now we knew, it was only a matter of hours before we see the metal bridge of Birethanti again.
And by this evening, we would be back in the warm blankets of Pokhara...

8332012017_dd13c291b4_b.jpg

Actually looking at the GPS track belies the fact that the trail could still be rough.
And yah, some parts were still rough. Rough especially on the knees.
Trekking in Nepal is really like this: I'd rather climb than to descend because descending is tougher on my knees.

8332015295_95f32fe8e7_b.jpg

Even the occasional porter we encountered along the track appeared to be relaxed..

8303665867_a5a14d3a14_b.jpg

Bridges, bridges and more wooden bridges..

8333076512_dc704d6103_b.jpg

Wah lau eh.. the younger sisters were really fast.
All I did was to stop for a while to take some photos, and when I turned my head and looked at them, they were waaaaaay ahead already.
Man, I got to triple-up to catch up with them..

8304736002_11649418dc_b.jpg

.. *Panting* *Panting* *Panting*.. finally I caught up with them
As we could see from this shot, although the general trend was a downward one, there would never be a shortage of upward climbs..

8304741206_3a23a78d54_b.jpg

Thank you, limwhow, for taking me along with your trip. Not literally. But reading this thread really makes me feel the anxiety, exhaustion and relief felt by you and your family, just as if I was there too.

I think it must have been even tougher than our original trek!

If I am to do it, I'd have rested a day after climbing to Poon Hill that morning.

Oh! Motorcars...!

Wow.. we hadn't seen motor vehicles for a few days already.
Mahesh told us that somewhere along today's trek we would come to a newly laid motor road.
This was just completed only about half a year ago, and it allowed cars to be driven up to Kimche.
In my heart, I knew what this would mean: having motor transport up higher in the mountains translate into efficiency. But it would also mean the end of some of the villages that were along the walking trail, for people would bypass them and go right up to the village that was supplied by the motorway.
Together with the motorway, it would probably also mean a drastic disturbance in the balance of the natural system in the mountains...
My hope was... keep things the way they were..
If people want to come to the mountains, they jolly well walk up..

8332022519_74795bc20a_b.jpg

A welcome sign pointed to our second final destination, Birethanti and then to Nayapul.
Haha.. just to make sure we didn't get lost..

8304762136_c35034cca7_b.jpg

Ah.. Kimche!
Finally we hit Kimche...

8304765004_854548f947_b.jpg

A shot by SereneXMM.
I was very tickled to find this lodge manned by this Nepali lady bearing a sign in Chinese!
LOL...

8333301988_fffb31a7b8_b.jpg