Needs advise on filter

get yourself those slot-in/square filters... than when you want to change lens all you have to do is buy a adaptor ring instead...

I see. I have already order the filter and now waiting to collect, thanks everyone for the advise.

But now I got a new question ;p when I tried to photograpy an embroidery piece through the glass I get a reflection, Can I eliminate this reflection by putting on a CPL filter?

Yes, You might be able to...

chicken chop said:
But now I got a new question ;p when I tried to photograpy an embroidery piece through the glass I get a reflection, Can I eliminate this reflection by putting on a CPL filter?

that is a complicated question as it deals with the angle at which light rays move.

A simple answer would be there is a good chance that a circular polarizer will reduce the reflections. Total elimination is not always possible.

that is a complicated question as it deals with the angle at which light rays move.

A simple answer would be there is a good chance that a circular polarizer will reduce the reflections. Total elimination is not always possible.

Thanks, I will read the forum to check which to buy :p

Thanks, I will read the forum to check which to buy :p

Thought I'd just share this for interest. Ordered a Moose's CPL from B&H for my kit lens; just arrived today :thumbsup: Nowadays, the shipping is faster than before - took 7 days from order to delivery. The Moose's supposed to add some warmth back to the photo as CPL has a "cooling" effect normally, so I read. Haven't opened it, so can't say how good or effective it is yet until I test it out this weekend :bsmilie: This is only my 2nd filter; the 1st is an ordinary UV lens protector.

Moose's Filter CPL - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries (Front View of Box)

Moose's CPL - ClubSNAP Photo Galleries (Rear View of Box with Description)

PS: It's a Hoya, made in Japan.

Last edited:
i go as big as i can afford eg 82mm and work with various combinations of step up rings from there

The Moose's supposed to add some warmth back to the photo as CPL has a "cooling" effect normally, so I read. Haven't opened it, so can't say how good or effective it is yet until I test it out this weekend :bsmilie: This is only my 2nd filter; the 1st is an ordinary UV lens protector.
Read about white balance and check the options you have in your post processing software or camera. To me, both filters are redundant.

Octarine said:
Read about white balance and check the options you have in your post processing software or camera. To me, both filters are redundant.

Thanks for the advice. Thus far, I have been using the Canon provided DPP to tweak white balance settings for my RAWs, besides those selected in-camera when taking in JPG only. For simple tweaks, I just use iPhoto out of convenience. I bought the CPL filter to experience "live" what it's like taking in bright sunlight with reflections from water or non-metal surfaces. I chose the Hoya Moose CPL because it's quite affordable, and if it doesn't turn out being as useful, at least I've experienced using a CPL and the small sum spent could be treated as lesson fee paid :)

Another point of interest is: in another post by yourself & another, both of you reminded about GAS & BBB. It is very useful. I even entertained the thought of printing a poster or make a screen-saver with bold, large words "Beware of GAS & BBB" now that my 1st DSLR is 2.5 years old. Photography hobby expenses could be a "bottomless pit," but that's for another thread. That said, I've been very disciplined in last 2.5 years. Tempted many times to buy more lenses, filters, etc., etc., after reading many juicy threads in CS, but I have resisted & prevailed - thus far, haven't exceeded spending $2k yet. 5D Mark III kit looks delicious, but better resist further...haha! (Don't ever want to talk about sums spent on compacts over the years, including the silly Kodak DC280 which failed upon warranty expiry. Heartache!)

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice. Thus far, I have been using the Canon provided DPP to tweak white balance settings for my RAWs, besides those selected in-camera when taking in JPG only. For simple tweaks, I just use iPhoto out of convenience. I bought the CPL filter to experience "live" what it's like taking in bright sunlight with reflections from water or non-metal surfaces. I chose the Hoya Moose CPL because it's quite affordable, and if it doesn't turn out being as useful, at least I've experienced using a CPL and the small sum spent could be treated as lesson fee paid :)

Another point of interest is: in another post by yourself & another, both of you reminded about GAS & BBB. It is very useful. I even entertained the thought of printing a poster or make a screen-saver with bold, large words "Beware of GAS & BBB" now that my 1st DSLR is 2.5 years old. Photography hobby expenses could be a "bottomless pit," but that's for another thread. That said, I've been very disciplined in last 2.5 years. Tempted many times to buy more lenses, filters, etc., etc., after reading many juicy threads in CS, but I have resisted & prevailed - thus far, haven't exceeded spending $2k yet. 5D Mark III kit looks delicious, but better resist further...haha! (Don't ever want to talk about sums spent on compacts over the years, including the silly Kodak DC280 which failed upon warranty expiry. Heartache!)

Thanks again.

Kodak DC280... damn I have that camera too.. it was working for many years for me... but some friend borrowed it in 2001 and never returned it. :p

daredevil123 said:
Kodak DC280... damn I have that camera too.. it was working for many years for me... but some friend borrowed it in 2001 and never returned it. :p

Hi, DD

Where can buy Lee big stopper & foundation kit for 77mm rings?

Singapore or Malaysia also can.

Thanks

Hi, DD

Where can buy Lee big stopper & foundation kit for 77mm rings?

Singapore or Malaysia also can.

Thanks

TK Foto is the major retailer of Lee filters I think..... They usually have pretty good stock. The exception to that is Lee Big Stopper which is pretty much out of stock in most places. I'm not sure who else carries it other than TK

justinpws said:
TK Foto is the major retailer of Lee filters I think..... They usually have pretty good stock. The exception to that is Lee Big Stopper which is pretty much out of stock in most places. I'm not sure who else carries it other than TK

Was sound good.. Maybe can try to pre order from them :)

Thanks

Cathay Peninsular carries it. But Big Stopper practically doesn't exist in SG right now.

agree, you have to pre-order....

You can check with Liewwk (in FB, CS or PM).

or you can try TK Foto, Cathay Photo and Orient Photo.