Need your advice for D90 setting in Manual mode

spree86 said:
1/focal length is not the best setting for any situation. The shutter speed should be set according to what you are trying to achieve and not base on the focal length.

Adding on, 1/focal length is the rule of thumb to reduce hand-shake blur at any given focal length. It is not, however, the rule that you should stick to when trying to achieve certain effects.

Ask yourself about long exposures of 15 seconds. Did the photographer use that rule? Nope. He/she used the shutter speed best suited for that purpose.

I suggest you drop by a nearby library some day and pickup a book about introduction to photography or basics of photography. All the answers you are looking for should be inside.

Hi all, today I have done some reading and testing on different setting finally got some hang of it. May not be very good at least I did listen to advices being given and I also got myself a wrist strap and some how my camera shake is being reduce by quite a lot. Below are some sample taken for your comment please .
6721056835_5e364ea1a8_b.jpg

6721060159_313ba7e95b_b.jpg

#3 Place this tissue under the fan and the piece of tissue paper sticking out flap like crazy. so I try Higher shutter speed to freeze
6721050207_5b650577e6_b.jpg

Hi all, today I have done some reading and testing on different setting finally got some hang of it. May not be very good at least I did listen to advices being given and I also got myself a wrist strap and some how my camera shake is being reduce by quite a lot. Below are some sample taken for your comment please .
6721056835_5e364ea1a8_b.jpg

Still don't look sharp to me....Not sure if it's your f2.8 or handshake or both.

On a side note, I believe doing such test on night landscape is pretty much pointless (imo), if you are going into nightscape, you will be using your tripod (it's almost a must for nightscapes) and camera on it with lowest ISO, stopped down aperture.

Also I'm also wondering what good does these "tests" do? Light changes every now and then, one setting that fits the situation now may not, the next day. I will still recommend a good read in exposures and such to have the understanding of how the triangle work. Once you know how the exposures work, you can adapt to the situation accordingly.

Last edited:
TS.. like others, i also believe u still lack of understanding on exposure especially the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO..

do read the sticky, posted by moderator - Photography notes for newbies..

Please start with daylight shooting. It's easier for you to understand and to learn. Shooting at night in this way is an entirely different game where certain things from daylight shooting are no longer usable or need additional adjustments. A tripod is mandatory at night.
Pic #1: most people will use a tripod, ISO 100 (or 200), f/8 .. and let the shutter be whatever it needs.
Pic #2: Why f/2.8? Do you notice the thin Depth of Field? Stop down to f/5.6 or more .. and again you'll need a tripod or ISO of about 1600 or more...
Pic #3: Might be technically there.. And?
Surely, you can take pictures like this.. using M and tinker around till it somehow looks ok. But again: why? Only to achieve the same what A and P can do?

#3 Place this tissue under the fan and the piece of tissue paper sticking out flap like crazy. so I try Higher shutter speed to freeze

Ok it looks like you're getting somewhere, so that's a positive step at least :)
The first photo is a bit underexposed, but the other 2 look all right.
As has already been advised, a tripod is very valuable for night photography, since the shutter speeds you are getting are much slower than you could expect to hand-hold.