Need suggestion on which lens / lenses to bring for my hoilday..

Joispig

Nov 2, 2009
Hi,
I am going on a Korea tour this weekend. I have the following lenses. Which one or combination shall I take for my trip?

Sony 18mm-55mm kit lens
Sony 55mm-200mm
Sony 50mm F1.8
Tamron 28mm-80mm
Sigma 28mm-300mm

I am thinking of taking the 28-300 but is 28mm enough to take good landscape pic?

And is it necessary to bring a tripod along?

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
If you are using a non-fullframe body, I would suggest your kit lens with the sigma. 28mm on a DX body is just too narrow for landscape

If you are using a non-fullframe body, I would suggest your kit lens with the sigma. 28mm on a DX body is just too narrow for landscape

I'll second this. Thou I think the 50mm may also come in handy at times.

i'll go with 18-55mm + 50mm anytime, 28 is to tight for landscape and i doubt u'll use 100-200mm range for vacation, tripod is a coin toss but i would bring it rather than not having it when i need em :)

i'll go with 18-55mm + 50mm anytime, 28 is to tight for landscape and i doubt u'll use 100-200mm range for vacation, tripod is a coin toss but i would bring it rather than not having it when i need em :)

Just some points to consider.....

If following a tour group, I will not recommend a tripod. not everyone will have the patience to wait for you to finish a shoot and then move on
If it's Free & Easy, by all means bring one, unless you are rushing for time...

For the 100-200mm range is quite debatable since we don't know TS's shooting preference. But personally, I would rather have it with me than to regret later when I didn't have the range for a particular shoot. Despite saying this, I seldom shoot at 100-200mm range, but If I did, I'm really glad I've brought it along *but it's extra weight in the bag. If my bag is really heavy, I'll probably leave this lens at home*.

I vote 18-55 and 55-200 and a small external flash if TS has one...
Tripod to me is a necessity, but as others have mentioned, it may depend on whether you have chance to use it or not.

Just curious why there are so many lenses that overlap in the focal range... 28-80 and 28-300? :dunno:

I vote 18-55 and 55-200 and a small external flash if TS has one...
Tripod to me is a necessity, but as others have mentioned, it may depend on whether you have chance to use it or not.

Just curious why there are so many lenses that overlap in the focal range... 28-80 and 28-300? :dunno:

I second this.

100-200 is useful in candid street photography to me.

Thanks all for your suggestion, think I'll bring the 18-55 + 55-200 + flash + tripod for my first trip with my camera..

I was asking the same question when I went to Europe last year..what lens to bring..in the end my sis brought her 18-135mm and I stupidly brought a brick(18-200)..after which I found out that travel landscape photography dun need so much zoom..at least for the photos I took..at max 50mm is enuff but it's too narrow for landscape..my subject is always close to me so the next time I'll bring wide angle lens like 11-16 and 17-55..

I was asking the same question when I went to Europe last year..what lens to bring..in the end my sis brought her 18-135mm and I stupidly brought a brick(18-200)..after which I found out that travel landscape photography dun need so much zoom..at least for the photos I took..at max 50mm is enuff but it's too narrow for landscape..my subject is always close to me so the next time I'll bring wide angle lens like 11-16 and 17-55..

hmmm, now it makes me start thinking....If I went on a trip, should I just bring my 10-22 with 18-55 or 55-250... or just bring everything....thou I must agree that I zoom alot of the tele end of 100mm to 250mm.

Joispig said:
Hi,
I am going on a Korea tour this weekend. I have the following lenses. Which one or combination shall I take for my trip?

Sony 18mm-55mm kit lens
Sony 55mm-200mm
Sony 50mm F1.8
Tamron 28mm-80mm
Sigma 28mm-300mm

I am thinking of taking the 28-300 but is 28mm enough to take good landscape pic?

Thanks in advance..

I would take the first 3 lenses in your list.

11-16 + 17-55 like even more 'brick' than a single 18-200 :)
but I know what you're saying. Might as well bring more specific tools for the job :)
UWA like 11-16 really opens up your perspective :)

hmmm, now it makes me start thinking....If I went on a trip, should I just bring my 10-22 with 18-55 or 55-250... or just bring everything....thou I must agree that I zoom alot of the tele end of 100mm to 250mm.

Dunno abt you, but for me I found the middle focal lengths (abt 24-50mm kinda range) not so critical. No need to cover every possible focal length when you have weight constraints.
10-22 used at 22 is not too bad. If you bring 10-22 and 55-200, I would guess that you won't feel too handicapped by the lack of 22-55 range.

Dunno abt you, but for me I found the middle focal lengths (abt 24-50mm kinda range) not so critical. No need to cover every possible focal length when you have weight constraints.
10-22 used at 22 is not too bad. If you bring 10-22 and 55-200, I would guess that you won't feel too handicapped by the lack of 22-55 range.

Thanks for the input. Bringing 10-22 and 55-250 was my initial thoughts too...but was hesitating alittle due to the "what if I need" devil messing around with me. I'm not sure what will I be expected to shoot other than landscape and tele. 18-55 seems great for the streets...., but looking back at my pictures taken over the past few months, I'm been shooting on the wider end (<18mm) and the longer end (>100mm).

Prob I will just take the 10-22, 55-250...trying to reduce weight of the bag (this 2 lens with batts weighs a ton already if shoulder carry for 1/2 day).

I would go for 18-55 and 55-200, at the least. The final lens I would consider would be the 50mm.

Just bring the 18-55 kit. Or sell off your tamron and sigma and get a Sony 18-250. Carry extra and changing lens during a holiday trip is a pain. You might just end up using the 18-55 90% of of the time and wondered why you bothered to lug around all those extra lenses. Forget about the 50F1.8, it is too tight for most practical purposes. Just bump up the ISO and if too much noise - convert to black and white.

Or you can buy the 35F1.8 or the 30F2.8 macro (the latter is my favorite lens - light, sharp, wide and fast for most circumstances. It is ideal for shooting food which is something I like to to while on vacation)

Hi,

Sony 18mm-55mm kit lens
Sony 55mm-200mm
Sony 50mm F1.8
Tamron 28mm-80mm
Sigma 28mm-300mm

Thanks in advance..

I will only bring the 50mm and the 55-200mm
tripod if only that no one help me take pic then i will use it.lol