need some tips/crits

Status
Not open for further replies.

incubus

Nov 3, 2004
galaxy far far away
www.shahrulazmi.com
was in the kitchen earlier today and saw dis nice view. in my head i wanted to capture a well lit hdb and a clear moon. first few shots were not wat i had in mind. so experimented a bit. dis is wat i got. kinda warm... maybe either due to hdb lighting all around or juz dat i forget to check my wb
heheh
anyways, how does one get dat image with a clear moon an a well lit scenery without pushing iso? i have managed to get some nice clear moon shot with my tcon but its with a quick shutter. if i do dat here the details of the hdb will be lost.

14709P1040201two-med.jpg

14709P1040201test-med.jpg

14709P1040202two-med.jpg

the compression makes it look really bad

Hi incubus,

Suspect the pics are way too orange cos of white balance.
HDB normally lit by those orange street lamp types, can use the incandescent
mode to cut down the orange.

As for exposure, use as small aperture as possible. and play about with the exposure timing to get your dersired results.

Personally, I wish to try using polariser when taking night scenery, to test if can cut down those super bright lights in otherwise dark areas. :think:

rhair78 said:
Hi incubus,

Suspect the pics are way too orange cos of white balance.
HDB normally lit by those orange street lamp types, can use the incandescent
mode to cut down the orange.

As for exposure, use as small aperture as possible. and play about with the exposure timing to get your dersired results.

Personally, I wish to try using polariser when taking night scenery, to test if can cut down those super bright lights in otherwise dark areas. :think:

U might not get anything by using CP because your Shutter only had 8sec. Hehe.. I haben try mine yet but somehow my coll told me that CP act as Sunglass. It cut the shiny reflect away, if you tried on Night scenery, will be tough as it need more time to allow light to go in. Of course, depending on which scenery u going. :lovegrin: If the case of what incubus had shown. hmm :think: :nono:

Anyway, incubus, try ur WB to light bulb? or do the manual WB on the light bulb or moon. Do some experimental. :sweat:

hi guys...
actually i have done both extremes. experimented with both f2.8 and f8. tried to use p mode, then switch to manual and adjust to taste. still no luck
will try again tonight if the moon rises near the same spot.
was also thinkin of cr polarizer filter. could it do the trick?
has anyone used it in these situation before?
wat are the resluts
thanks for yer input guys

You can mask out your moon while exposing the overall scene.

Suppose IF you use F8, 4 seconds,

Overall scene: Expose 4 seconds
Moon exposure: Expose 2 seconds or less

Meaning you cover up the moon using a satay stick stick wtih a small paper....
Count your exposure and remove the satay stick for the last 2 seconds exposure or less..

This is the manual mode...

In PS, expose the moon and HDB flat and merge together :)

incubus said:
i have managed to get some nice clear moon shot with my tcon but its with a quick shutter. if i do dat here the details of the hdb will be lost.

You have answered your own question. See above.

It's a limitation for ANY camera. The eye has wider dynamic range than any camera (digital or non-digital). The digital camera has very limited dynamic range, that is always a challenge for all photographer to capture both bright and shadow subjects in one photo. If the difference is too great, you will have to decide to keep details in the bright subject or the shadow subject.

There are a few ways to workaround the limitation, one of them is using half ND filter. In a nutshell, basically you are trying to bring the bright subject exposure closer to the shadow exposure and within the camera limit.

The othere way is Photoshop (PS) way. In a nutshell, take two shots, one expose for each subject correctly (for your case one for the moon and another for the HDB), then merge them in PS.

Comments on your photo: The moon is way over exposed, that is why it is not round.

As for color balance, depends on what you wanted to show. One great thing about digital is you can actually tune your color balance and see the result directly on the LCD before you even press the shutter. If you want to do this, don't set your color balance to "AUTO". You can then tune the color balance until you are satisfied.

thanks tankm, at least now i know dat its not quite possible to get dat shot out of the box. needs at least -filters/or some post processing
and yeah, the moon was waaaay exposed, but had no choice... priority was the buildings. i have some moon shots lying ard anyway hehe ;p
thanks for the tip ransoma22. will use dat technique for future use

i tried compositing some shots together.

skylight_by_input_output.jpg

hmm.. the pic didnt come out.. guess deviantart does not allow hotlinkng
do check out my deviantart gallery if u wanna see
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.