need some help from all clubbers here :)

Hi Folks,
i need some suggestions for some photography gears hope to get some good replies from you folks :)

i'm still don't know what brand of those gears is better to own them:
-Mini softbox for off camera flash or Gary Fong lightsphere collapsible better for shooting flash?
-what brand of portable outdoor light stand for horse shoe mounted flash shd i go for?
-ballhead or normal tripod shd i go for?
-what brands of 5in1 80cm reflector shd i buy?
-what type of lens good for portraiture shoot? a 50mm prime lens f1.4?or a telephoto lens 85-100mm?
-which brands of tripod quality better? manfrotto or velbon?
-for portraiture shoot,what focal lengths suits very well for a good looking professional portraiture shoot?

i know i kinda newbie but i will be grateful if any pro out there will give some good suggestions :)

Deric.

what do you intend to shoot most of the time?

Have you tried reading the numerous newbie guides (hence: the name!) and other existing guides, existing threads? Half of your questions are answered there, together with plenty of other information.
zoossh's Guide to DSLR Photography for Newbies
Beside this: flashes are mounted on "hot shoe", not horseshoe :)

Last edited:
horseshoe
images

taken from www.horseshoesforhope.ca

hotshoe

hotshoe.jpg

taken from www.hardwarezone.com

Hi Folks,
i need some suggestions for some photography gears hope to get some good replies from you folks :)

i'm still don't know what brand of those gears is better to own them:
-Mini softbox for off camera flash or Gary Fong lightsphere collapsible better for shooting flash?
-what brand of portable outdoor light stand for horse shoe mounted flash shd i go for?
-ballhead or normal tripod shd i go for?
-what brands of 5in1 80cm reflector shd i buy?
-what type of lens good for portraiture shoot? a 50mm prime lens f1.4?or a telephoto lens 85-100mm?
-which brands of tripod quality better? manfrotto or velbon?
-for portraiture shoot,what focal lengths suits very well for a good looking professional portraiture shoot?

i know i kinda newbie but i will be grateful if any pro out there will give some good suggestions :)

Deric.

You are asking a lot of questions in which the answer(s) are very personal or subjective.
For example, though the ballhead is the more popular choice for photographers, there are some who swear by other types of tripod heads.
Same goes for portrait lens. Some use 50mm (myself included). Some use 135mm. Some use 85mm.

for portraiture, you need off-camera flash and preferably large aperture primes like 50mm and 85mm so you can create a distinctive contrast between your subject and the background using the bokeh. lightspheres and things like that are more for events and not portraiture work.

landscapes, you need a good stable tripod (preferably lightweight too). choose tripods not according to brands but how comfortable are you with it. the head that connects your camera to the tripod is equally important. for landscapes, i would use a 3way pan head and not a ball head, which is more suited for more dynamic situations.