Need Some advice... (50D or D90)

Status
Not open for further replies.

febarthez

Aug 15, 2008
SG
Hi all,

I've been lurking around CS forums for quite sometime now..
And I've finally decided to settle down with a DSLR after much playing around on my Canon PowerShot SX100..

I would appreciate every kind soul's advice on which camera should I get..
Reading too much reviews here and there gets my head all messed up..

Canon EOS 50D or Nikon D90?

Being a Canon user now, I wanted to stay with Canon, but D90 had so many great reviews, making me sway... I kinda need serious advice..

Thanks in advance to all!

BR
Feb

Hi all,

And I've finally decided to settle down with a DSLR after much playing around on my Canon PowerShot SX100..

Being a Canon user now, I wanted to stay with Canon, but D90 had so many great reviews, making me sway... I kinda need serious advice..

BR
Feb

No offense, but if you're still confused, you've done enough reading yet. Each brand has each own pros and cons, there's no clear winner here. The decision is yours to make. You can close both eyes and pick whatever instinct tells you but you may regret later. Take your time, no good rushing on this.

No offense, but if you're still confused, you've done enough reading yet. Each brand has each own pros and cons, there's no clear winner here. The decision is yours to make. You can close both eyes and pick whatever instinct tells you but you may regret later. Take your time, no good rushing on this.

Fully agree.

If you need other's opinion to make this decision, then DON'T BUY. You should only consider a camera model (C, N or whichever brand) when you *know* it's the one you want, that has the features you want and feels good ergonomically.

thanks for your replies. will sit down and slowly settle my mind down first.

Fully agree.

If you need other's opinion to make this decision, then DON'T BUY. You should only consider a camera model (C, N or whichever brand) when you *know* it's the one you want, that has the features you want and feels good ergonomically.

:thumbsup:

Hi all,

BR
Feb

Being a Canon user? hmm... a PnS is different from DSLR. Doesn't equate to if you're a Sony PnS user, you stick back to Sony DSLRs.

But anyway, you should make a trip to one of the shops and try out the cameras for yourself. Being comfortable with the equipment is a key point...

Don't limit urself to these 2 brands when trying out... you'll be surprise you may fall in love with the 'black horses'.. ;)

I'm using a 50D now and I must say it does have very warm colours. D90 has a very nice feel and the quality is just as good.. All in all to say, there is no end to which is good or which is better.

A camera is just a camera, its how the photographer makes the best out of it.

I would say brush up more on your skills than spending the time thinking which camera to buy. When you know how and what to shoot, you're naturally know what camera to buy. =)

Cheers!!

I can understand your dilemma, but as others have said, its what U want.

I would make it easy for you by equating this with a similar question people ask about universities.
Which University is good, MIT or Cambridge or Oxford (lol just examples)?
and the answers are:
- what do u want to study?
- whats your strength?
- where you want to improve?
- what is your research question? etc.
- Do they have right faculty?
- What kind of student community u get?
- etc...

Similarly, you should ask:
- what is it that you miss in point and shoot?
- what features u want? or Like.
- If both C and N have that feature, try both and see the results.
- what kind of lenses u can get? Check lens results on flickr
- what are your special shooting requirements? can this camera fulfill it? (like stop animation / High ISO performance etc.)
- Go to DXOMARK website and check results. Also do your own tests (if possible).
- Read reviews (but with a pinch of salt sometimes.). Flickr images give better idea (refer to EXIF data)
etc...

Or if you are just embarking on DSLR journey, then go for a low end second hand camera, try it and build your requirements.

my 2 cents...

Last edited:
thanks for ssdesign and snappypig's reply.

I'll take another look at other brands and do some comparison.

I was wondering if there is any place in singapore that allows us to rent DSLR + lens?

Maybe I can rent and trial abit before I throw my monies into one >.<

Being a Canon user? hmm... a PnS is different from DSLR. Doesn't equate to if you're a Sony PnS user, you stick back to Sony DSLRs.

But anyway, you should make a trip to one of the shops and try out the cameras for yourself. Being comfortable with the equipment is a key point...

Don't limit urself to these 2 brands when trying out... you'll be surprise you may fall in love with the 'black horses'.. ;)

I agree tat u nid to go down to test it out... but sometime the shop sales ppl will tend to 'psycho' u to buy a specific brand/model (due to higher commission? clear stock? his own brand loyalty?), so it defeats the purpose.

I was wondering if there is any place in singapore that allows us to rent DSLR + lens?

Right here on the forum... Just look around a bit.

thanks for ssdesign and snappypig's reply.

I'll take another look at other brands and do some comparison.

the best is still to have a friend or relative who owns a DSLR (shouldn't be too hard to find nowadays... there are tens of thousands of DSLRs sold in Singapore), then it doesn't cost too much money to test it out. Renting one is not terribly expensive, but still costs several tens of dollars, which can buy you a very decent Lowepro bag, for example.
If you're renting a full-frame DSLR (eg 5D, D700, etc) then the rental cost is a smaller fraction of the camera's cost.

Between 50D and D90 it's mainly about ergonomics. One weighs quite a lot more than the other. Their buttons are also placed very differently. Try going to Courts Megastore and try them out.

Thanks for more inputs from everyone!

I'm glad i'm more sure of where I stand right now.. I'll go around see and feel the cameras before I make my choose.. :)

Hi all,

BR
Feb

Hi:)

I suggest more research as well;)

50D and D90 are both great DSLR cameras.

My reason for choosing Nikon
1) Most of my photography friends (90%) were Nikon users
2) My cousin is a Nikon user

I was able to borrow and practice with Nikon cameras before I bought my DSLR:)

I am also able to borrow certain lenses or accessories like
1) Nikkor 105 VR macro lens
2) SB900
3) SB800
4) Nikkor 70-300 VR lens
5) D70s IR converted camera

which helps minimize my spending (if that is ever possible in photography) I think;);p

Regards,

Argyle

take note the D90 and 50D are in different leagues despite the prices being similiar

photography can count as a long term investment, once you start buying you won't stop

think wisely first before going on a spree

if you think yes, welcome to the club!

thank you argylecamacho and lomographer for your replies~

i roughly think i'll be looking for a camera with good ISO sensitivity, produces low noise..

i might consider getting a second hand dslr + a new lense after ssdesign enlightened me previously.

but i'm still open to all right now ;) wanna feel more cameras before deciding. ;p

thank you argylecamacho and lomographer for your replies~

i roughly think i'll be looking for a camera with good ISO sensitivity, produces low noise..

i might consider getting a second hand dslr + a new lense after ssdesign enlightened me previously.

but i'm still open to all right now ;) wanna feel more cameras before deciding. ;p

D90 is still the best APS-C high ISO performer right now, but do keep in mind that it (low noise in high ISO) isn't that important. Most likely you'll want a noise processing plug in for your Photoshop, and it'll make low noise from camera significantly less important.

Last edited:
D90 is still the best APS-C high ISO performer right now, but do keep in mind that it (low noise in high ISO) isn't that important. Most likely you'll want a noise processing plug in for your Photoshop, and it makes low noise from camera significantly less important.

Thanks Titan10k for your information :)

I'll keep that in mind too :thumbsup:

currently i'm studying the 18-200 lens.. seems like its a good walkabout lens..
any opinions? will this lens be good for macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.