Need recommendation for a small compact cam with large LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
Hi all,

I'm looking for a compact camera. No budget constraint. Just need the following requirement. Any recommendation?

Mandatory requirements:
1. The smaller the better. The slimmer the better.
2. Larger the LCD, bigger the better.
3. Good battery life.

Optional requirements:
1. any type of storage also can.
2. Photos quality, not really particular, just some snaps for memory purpose. Photos good enough for 4R print can already.
3. Zoom: not really impt.
4. Shutter lag. Not really matter to me.
5. photo noise. not particular about it.

So far, I spotted Fujifilm F10, but is there any other smaller than it? :embrass:

The Fujifilm F10 fits your needs and its already very small, haha.

panasonic FX8/9

you can consider sony's T-series. Like T5. quite slim and good image produce. or even panasonic recent lumix fx-8. the one with in-built image stabalizing function. my friend just bought one fx-8 during the comex fair. the image stabalizing works quite well.:D

Paul_Yeo said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a compact camera. No budget constraint. Just need the following requirement. Any recommendation?

Mandatory requirements:
1. The smaller the better. The slimmer the better.
2. Larger the LCD, bigger the better.
3. Good battery life.

So far, I spotted Fujifilm F10, but is there any other smaller than it? :embrass:

Casio Exilim Z-500

OK, will consider & choose from this 4.

Casio Exilim Z-500
Sony T5
Panasonic FX8/9
Nikon 5900

Thanks guys!

Paul_Yeo said:

Casio Exilim Z-500
Sony T5
Panasonic FX8/9
Nikon 5900

Thanks guys!
Sony T5 is the best, only problem is u got to live with proprietary Sony memory stick and Sony battery.

If you wan Large LCD (2.7 inch) & Long Batt Life (500 shots), Casio EX-Z500 fits yours requirements. And it's slim also.

Paul_Yeo said:

Casio Exilim Z-500
Sony T5
Panasonic FX8/9
Nikon 5900

Thanks guys!

Just wondering which model did you buy at the end?

Considering between this few as well :)

If you haven't bought your camera, I agree that either the Sony, Nikon, Casio or Panasonic would give you good pictures.(Don't know about the Fuji) However it also depends on how familiar you are with digital camera interfaces. For a total non-camera user type, I would suggest the Panasonic or Casio, as in my opinion (went through this whole thing a couple of years ago for myself, and again about 6 months ago with a relative) the user interface is the most intuitive and idiot proof. If Anti-shake is an important factor, than the Panasonic, it's easily the best in the compact camera area at the moment, but if battery life is really important, than the Casio, no fight.

Guess it comes down to which feels most comfortable in your hands.

ldft said:
If you haven't bought your camera, I agree that either the Sony, Nikon, Casio or Panasonic would give you good pictures.(Don't know about the Fuji) However it also depends on how familiar you are with digital camera interfaces. For a total non-camera user type, I would suggest the Panasonic or Casio, as in my opinion (went through this whole thing a couple of years ago for myself, and again about 6 months ago with a relative) the user interface is the most intuitive and idiot proof. If Anti-shake is an important factor, than the Panasonic, it's easily the best in the compact camera area at the moment, but if battery life is really important, than the Casio, no fight.

Guess it comes down to which feels most comfortable in your hands.

Does the anti shake work with night shots.

Usually have that problem if not taken with tripod.

If you are talking about long exposures without flash, like nitght time skylines or the like, than no, the anti-shake is good but not THAT good. Basically it will allow you to take photos at a slower shutter speed than you normally would. So if you normally can get a blurr free shot at a shutter speed of say 1/30, with anti shake you would be able to get a blurr free shot at 1/15 or 1/10 without too much problems.

Take a look at the photo of the car at http://photobucket.com/albums/v632/wahtk/

This was taken at the Singapore Motor show last year using the Panasonic DMC-FX5 which is the predecesor of the FX8 / FX9 and it was shot handheld, at a shutter speed of 1/8. :D

since price is not an issue.... may I suggest the one with the largest screen, (3" freaking inches!) which is the Cyber-shot DSC-N1...

highlights:
- Touch screen
- usable ISO800
- paint function in-camera (touch screen mah...)
- 8.3 mega pixel (in case you wanna see nose hair or something:sweatsm: )

Status
Not open for further replies.