Need recommendation for a DSLR camera

but the salesman's claim of "must buy IS lens" for 550D is untrue right?

All my lenses non VR leh. except for that one 55-200. I don't see why must get VR or IS.

Actually I don't like VR or IS or VC simply because I feel that, although useful, it is another thing that will fail in time. And repair cost is not that cheap. With good technique, and the advances in ISO performance, I can mitigate that need for VR for my shooting needs now.

And TS, don't believe the BS ken rockwell say about throwing your tripod away. Tripod is very important. At least, for my shooting needs.

1) thanks all for your kind sharing. hope TS wouldnt mind i hijack the thread abit as i am also on the track of getting a new DSLR.and i am just liked TS, also pretty new in photography and DSLR. i came from a PNS background (olympus fe-20)

2) thanks for telling me that IS is not needed for a canon dslr. haha. i think if i didnt found out tt there is such a friendly forum, or readup abit on the net,i wouldnt have known the fact.

3)as a beginner, i would liked to post a query - FOR A BEGINNER liked myself, would it be a very great advantage to have a dslr system with built in anti-shake(regardless on lens or body)?or it doesnt matter. i can just go ahead and buy a canon 550D and in future buy a lens (w/o IS) as it wont really affect much in my photo-taking experience and picture, even im a new inexperienced dslr photgrapher. Pardon me if i sounded ignorant because this are really the questions running at the back of my head.

P.s-with the current resources that i have, i am pending to buy a pentax kx or a canon 550D.still considering

i'm just making suggestions, my 2cts, all my sentences are neutral and with words like "I think" and "might" which suggested i'm not certain.

rockdhop mentioned about canon must use IS from salesman which i think its incorrect and responsed to that.

you are right about the range of lens, but again i was suggesting, not claiming my word is the law. the user may not need some lens by canon or nikon, then again who says he wont in future? which road to take or which brand to buy is to their own preferences, i'm merely making suggestions.

hey chill dude. i get that, dunid to repeat so many times. :bsmilie::bsmilie:;)

1) thanks all for your kind sharing. hope TS wouldnt mind i hijack the thread abit as i am also on the track of getting a new DSLR.and i am just liked TS, also pretty new in photography and DSLR. i came from a PNS background (olympus fe-20)

2) thanks for telling me that IS is not needed for a canon dslr. haha. i think if i didnt found out tt there is such a friendly forum, or readup abit on the net,i wouldnt have known the fact.

3)as a beginner, i would liked to post a query - FOR A BEGINNER liked myself, would it be a very great advantage to have a dslr system with built in anti-shake(regardless on lens or body)?or it doesnt matter. i can just go ahead and buy a canon 550D and in future buy a lens (w/o IS) as it wont really affect much in my photo-taking experience and picture, even im a new inexperienced dslr photgrapher. Pardon me if i sounded ignorant because this are really the questions running at the back of my head.

P.s-with the current resources that i have, i am pending to buy a pentax kx or a canon 550D.still considering

actually, dun rely too much on anti shake. I bought my sony at first, thinking that anti shake was godly, yes godly. in fact, it is not. it is very minimal but can be crucial at times. if you feel that you will be using the video mode, then go for the 550D. :)

Just look at it this way. If its already on the camera, just use it :) . Use any additional advantage that a SR camera or lens can give you.

Shake reduction of any kind will at least compensate 1stop. That is a lot considering if you want to shoot at 1/30 or more stable 1/60 in some situations.
Of course bear in mind that this is no cure-all for poor technique.

Hi hope you get as many help and advice and that you'll find a suitable camera gift for your love one. On the bigger picture...it is not the matter what kind of camera, but kind thought of a wife that counts! :)

sorry can't help you much here, cause im a nikon user...

check out the dslr basic to understand the terminology,so you can try speak the same lauguage :)

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/

Have a kodak moment day!

All my lenses non VR leh. except for that one 55-200. I don't see why must get VR or IS.

Actually I don't like VR or IS or VC simply because I feel that, although useful, it is another thing that will fail in time. And repair cost is not that cheap. With good technique, and the advances in ISO performance, I can mitigate that need for VR for my shooting needs now.

And TS, don't believe the BS ken rockwell say about throwing your tripod away. Tripod is very important. At least, for my shooting needs.

I do feel the absence of VR for long focal length(~200mm) but I still think it's better to learn the basic of holding camera + hold breath if necessary;p

If I use the tripod, then I don't really need the VR:bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Just to share, I finally made my purchase today!
I got the Sony Alpha A380 (Dual Kit).
Was really torn between this and the Canon 550D, but in the end, I decided we dont really need video, so I got the Sony instead.

I hope I made the right buy! :confused:
Can't wait to give it to hubby soon! ;)

Hi everyone!

Was really torn between this and the Canon 550D, but in the end, I decided we dont really need video, so I got the Sony instead.

the saleman convinced you to do so or...?

Hi everyone!

Nicee...Get your husband to start shooting and posting! A380 is a capable dslr..not tt intimidating for new users;p

Hi everyone!

Congrats!!! Will be showing my wife your post and pray she buy a new lens for me :)

Congrats!!! Will be showing my wife your post and pray she buy a new lens for me :)

ltr she get you 18-55 IS...cheapest lens out there that you don't yet have mah :bsmilie:

the saleman convinced you to do so or...?

i made the decision myself, with the help of hubby's fren who's a lot more knowledgeable on the subject.

did i make an okay decision though? :confused:

Nicee...Get your husband to start shooting and posting! A380 is a capable dslr..not tt intimidating for new users;p

yeah! i cant wait to give it to him!
we're going on our first family holiday on Fathers' Day weekend, so the camera will come in handy and very timely! :)

i made the decision myself, with the help of hubby's fren who's a lot more knowledgeable on the subject.

It is not a bad camera. But I thought at that price range, the Pentax Kx was a much much better buy.

But nevermind. Buy already just use it. The camera is also capable of good pictures too.

congrats sis on your first DSLR. at least you pulled that trigger and made the decision. haha. today i was down at the itshow to checkout stuffs. LOL. didnt manage to see nikon booth nor its babes (models). and sony aint there on the third level. all i see was canon wrapping up the entire lvl 1. hoho.

tried the 7D,quite impressive . and then took brochures on canon and sony dslr. tried the Sony Alpha 550. quite cool too. realized that sony alpha dslr lens will "move" by itself when auto-focusing.unliked other brands, no movement will be made by itself. hoho.:):)

tml going down again. hehe

oh.. then for your info lah, you could have saved some bucks if you bought the A330 instead. it's just more megapixels for A380. and how do you find the grip, might not be of a huge difference as compared to 550D though.

congrats sis on your first DSLR. at least you pulled that trigger and made the decision. haha. today i was down at the itshow to checkout stuffs. LOL. didnt manage to see nikon booth nor its babes (models). and sony aint there on the third level. all i see was canon wrapping up the entire lvl 1. hoho.

tried the 7D,quite impressive . and then took brochures on canon and sony dslr. tried the Sony Alpha 550. quite cool too. realized that sony alpha dslr lens will "move" by itself when auto-focusing.unliked other brands, no movement will be made by itself. hoho.:):)

tml going down again. hehe

Other brands have such lenses too.

Hi everyone!

Congrats. Hope your husband likes it and can get use to the small grip.