Need recommendation for a DSLR camera

I really think this is the way to do business in photography..haha..Nikon really gives confidence in pg to invest in their glass... it would be bad if the auto focus lens you buy today would be obsoletted by different mounts after 15-20 years.:bsmilie:

Actually, it was not too long ago when the 'other' big brand decided to move all autofocus motors into lenses and came out with a whole new mount called E(*)S. That pissed off a lot of the users back then. :bsmilie:

Nikon pretty much modified their F mounts to accommodate AF. So while some people may argue the AF-D screw-drive is not as elegant a solution, I thought it was a good decision. Even in this AF-S VR age, I can still mount my Ai/Ais lenses. And you cannot imagine how nice some of the pictures can turn out when using those old dinosaur lenses.

I still put my trust in older technology. Ai Ais AF AF-D are stuff I hold dear. My Ai Ais lenses are more than 30 years old and still work beautifully. The lesser the electronics inside the lens, the less chance it will fail, or need a big price tag for repair. Eg. Just got my 85mm Ai cleaned out and regreased. Cost? $25. Guess how much a SWM or VR assembly cost? ;)

Last edited:
My Ai Ais lenses are more than 30 years old and still work beautifully. The lesser the electronics inside the lens, the less chance it will fail, or need a big price tag for repair. Eg. Just got my 85mm Ai cleaned out and regreased. Cost? $25. Guess how much a SWM or VR assembly cost? ;)

:thumbsup:

Bro well said.. heard from Bro Fatigue aso..

tats why i been favoring all my D lens more.. :lovegrin:

:thumbsup:

Bro well said.. heard from Bro Fatigue aso..

tats why i been favoring all my D lens more.. :lovegrin:

MF bro, MF! One of these days I will infect you with Ais MF disease... :bsmilie:

since both you and your hubby are newbie in DLR, the first thing you should consider first and formost is: "Will my hubby want to carry this 1kg piece of equipment around?"

my suggestion is to bring your hubby for "window shopping" at places like Courts Tampines where they got a few demo sets. just pretend to causally browse through the demo set and let him feel the thing in his hand. then ask him with a doubltful tone if he really willing to take it out in all family outings (since taking pics of your kid is the prority, i bring mine to playground just to shoot my son), coz if he not too willing then chances are it will turn into a white elephant. i always find reasons/excues to bring my DSLR out, others find reasons/excues to NOT bring it out.

if he is willing to do it:
get the cheapest entry-level from any brand, no point be bothered by the spec and function coz both of you wont fully understand and appreciate what we throw at you. to be safe is either nikon or canon coz you can find 2nd hand lense all around easily. when his skill outgrow the camera then upgrade from there where he already know his shooting style and preference.

lastly, kudo to you for being a loving wife. in my case, i've been planning and saving up for some time for my DSLR. my wife surprised me by buying it first, then often to cover for the remaining balance which i have yet to save up.

Last edited:
MF bro, MF! One of these days I will infect you with Ais MF disease... :bsmilie:

I even diy my Nai to make it fit my D70..wahaha...The only type of lens for Nikkor to have some mounting prob is the Nai...but it's minor;p

I do feel MF+manual meter gives a sense of achievement esp when you have to act fast..any similar sentiments?..coz I know some ppl think MF lens are crap...but not me for certain lens..

Last edited:
I even diy my Nai to make it fit my D70..wahaha...The only type of lens for Nikkor to have some mounting prob is the Nai...but it's minor;p

I do feel MF+manual meter gives a sense of achievement esp when you have to act fast..any similar sentiments?..coz I know some ppl think MF lens are crap...but not me for certain lens..

I one of those that feel that technology is good. So, I will use metering if available (and use EV compensation to fine tune), and autofocus when available. But in the end the factors that I based my decision on is the glass. If the peice of glass is exceptional, I will do whatever, just to use it, be it manual metering or manual focus.

That said, someitmes manual focus is very useful. I switch to MF from time to time, even when using AF lenses.

Welcome to CS!

Your budget should be able to get you a decent DSLR. The DSLR from all the major brands (Pentax, Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc) will be alright. Just cater approx ~$150 - $300 for accessories (ie. Drybox, cleaning kit, camera bag)

Now, the more impt part.
Try to avoid getting scammed.
Some shops would love a customer coming in declaring that they know nuts about cameras.

1. For prices, check out the Price Guides section of the forum.
2. Check out the consumers corner subforum as well to get an idea of how much accessories can cost.
3. Go to a reputable shop like Cathay Photo, MS Color, OP to check out prices first. Don't just jump in to buy. No obligation to buy from them either.
4. Avoid the Sim Lim Sq shops except OP on lvl 6.
5. Avoid the shops in Funan/Peninsular area as well except for the reputable ones constantly mentioned here in CS (Eg. of good ones : John 3:16, SLR Revolution, Cathay Photo, etc)

Gd luck ;)

You're welcome. But I hope you will put this behind you.

There will be weird people around. Some will pop out and say "get brand X", some will say "Get X model, you will not regret!". Everyone has different needs. Pretty much the major brands all make very good and capable cameras. In the end it is up to the person using the camera to shine.

All I can say is stay focus to what you are asking here - to find answers. Hope the rest of the guys here are pointing you to the right direction. Be objective.

thank you very much for your very detailed comment. :)
i appreciate you taking the time to type it out!

I will be making a trip to a few shops to have a look at a few camera options, (managed to enlist the help of hubby's fren who's a little more knowledgable on the issue!) and will definitely keep the Pentax in mind!

Honestly, I am too caught up with brands, like Canon and Nikon, cos i see everyone using these brands, so it gave me the impression they must be good!
So thank you for opening up my otherwise ignorant mind! :)

That said, I'm quite surprised this thread haven't have a "welcome to CS" standard template reply...

Anyway, I also think a Pentax Kx is one of the best entry level DSLRs out there...D5000 was good when it first came out, but it's rather outdated now, and other entry levels now have features that make it look like a toy. Of course it has some nice features like 3D tracking, but I think you'd be better off with a Sony a500 or Pentax Kx or Canon 550D

Thank you for your suggestions! :)
From what I managed to gather online, the Canon 550D caught my eye.
But from the many helpful comments here, I will definitely consider the Pentax Kx as well when I do go camera-shopping this week! :)

Given your budget there are several DSLR to choose from, each camera brand has its pros and cons, but should perform well enough to capture your shots reliably. You will find that DSLRs are more ready to shoot as compared to Point and shoots which can take up to 2 seconds between shots

NIKON D5000 :
Good camera, lightweight, has a very nice AF system. Lots of after market accesories. Nikon has been described as a Toyota, meaning their cameras are robust and reliable, has the most after market accesories available

Canon 550
One of the latest, although I have no expereince on this cam, the specs look very good, and I think it is one of the newest DSLRs among the lot. You get a lot of accesories as well, one of the only brands that still make their cams in Japan?? Like Nikon, Canon wil also have the most after market accesories available

Pentax KX
lightweight and compact, very nice price for the package offered, has alot of nice in camera processing programs and art filters, and if you look at the pics, pentax takes pictures where the colors are vivid. Built in, internal stabalizer, hence cheaper lenses. And the only DSLR where you can choose 4 colors for your DSLR (4 in Singapore a few hundred colors from Japan)

Olympus ?
Olympus has some DSLRs, has very nice art filters and in cam processing features, lightweight due to the 4/3 lens system, prices are also low and the lenses do not cost as much as the cam has a built in stabilizer. Can find alot of olympus PNS, plenty of olympus Pens but find it very hard to locate shops selling Olympus DSLR, maybe being phased out or new models coming out???

Sony Alpha DSLR
as someone else has said, there are too many models, so I can't recommend a specific. Seems like they make the CMOS sensors in the heart of most Nikons. For Sony you have the most models to choose from in your price range. Although you will have few after market accesories, one thing I can say about Sony is that they will give you the full range of support for your accesories, like if you want to go diving sometime in the future, Sony has already made the underwater housing unit for you to fit your DSLR in plus the underwater flash system. If you want prime lenses, they have the kits, primes (I think their 35 mm promo is a bargain) until high quality german carl zeiss ones.

Thank you very much for taking the time to type out your reply! :)
Is Sony the only one with underwater housing?

If you will be using live view (composing your shots using the big LCD screen instead of peeping through the optical view finder, the fast AutoFocus of the Sony would be useful. If you are getting the Sony DSLRs, consider the A500 or A550. The A230/330/380 are basic entry level cameras and the grip may not be comfortable to you.

Oh! thanks for highlighting this!
I think we're more used to live view as opposed to the view finder...and this is certainly a great reminder! I will have to bear this in mind when i narrow my choices down!
Thanks again! :)

I know ppl who expressed interest for DSLR, bought it then got lost when they found out photography requires alot of technical understanding:bsmilie:
How about getting your husband a prosumer like Nikon P100 or Fuji HS10 kind. long focal length for more flexibility:D

yeah, you have a point! :bsmilie:
we have spoken about this on one or two occasions, getting a DSLR vs just upgrading our digicam, but he did say he's keen on learning photography using the DSLR.

you know what, i think i'm gonna CASUALLY bring the subject up one of these days and get a "confirmation" before I make this investment! ;)

Think this is very good advise but to add on the portion on getting the things you need to get with a DSLR. Please do a check on the very useful price guide in this forum.

Do not be like me compared across many shops for the camera and lens but missed out on the filter and tripod. Because some sales people will "eat" you on the smaller items after giving you discount on the big items. Or sell you something that will degrade your photos after you have spend 1000++ getting better tools

An example from personal experience. I was sold a vitacon filter for $12 with my kit lens and camera. But I have tested and verified that using a $30 Hoya UV[0] filter makes a difference.

In summary. When buying smaller items try to stick to the know brands and refer to the price guide in CS. Hope it is useful :)

very good advise! thank you for highlighting this to me!
it certainly didn't occur to me till now! thanks again! :)

Not to forget the Panasonic G1. It is an SLR, and I saw it for sale at Mustafa for only $864. It is smaller, and uses the 4/3rds lens. This is a cheap and easy way to start getting used to shooting in an "SLR" (albeit smaller) format. The 12megapixels are more than enough for you to print 8x10 blowups.

I's say check this one out first. And with the rest of the $447, go buy another lens (like the 45-150mm) which only costs around $300 or so on the net.

As a piece of advise, go try holding the camera, and see for yourself. No need to be Kiasu and choose Brand X vs Brand Y. At the end of the day, it's the photographer who makes the images. Not the camera.

I can give you the TOP-of-the-line Mamiya RZ 36Megapixel medium Format beast, but would it improve your image taking any one bit? Higher resolutions only make your mistakes easier to see. Go back to basics. Start with a small, and cheap kit. Then move up, when your Kiasu instincts "bite you in the butt"...

Just my two Baht

Actually you're absolutely right. it's not in the equipment. I could get the best and if i'm lousy, it's all pointless! :bsmilie: So it think i will just get a basic, simple camera a "learner" like my husband and i can work with. and slowly learn our way up. :)

and you're right again, higher resolutions only make mistakes clearer to see. i certainly didn't look at it that way! thank you for highlighting this. :)

I think we are missing the point here. The TS is not a professional photographer. Giving advice to a photographer is different from giving advice to a typical consumer. A typical consumer looks for more features in a camera than anything else. They will naturally want something with the latest technology and at the cheapest price.

Saying that a D70 is good is true for photographers, but typical consumers prefer to play around with their cameras rather than concentrate on producing stunning photos to sell. You can tell them a D40 can produce very nice photos (which I know it can, since I used one before), but they will get frustrated soon over the 3 AF points, the lack of movie mode etc, even if they don't need anything more.

Thus having more features would be one of the main selling points when targeting consumers. Having a decent video mode like the one GH1 or 550D has is definitely fun and can make a difference if they decide to do a little video, of say the kids playing, running around etc. I'm not saying the D5000 can't do that, but when you compare it to more capable cameras in the same price range, it pales in comparison.

So, since consumers demand more features over functionality, I think it is reasonable to say that the D5000 is slightly outdated and lacking in features, especially in terms of video mode. If the TS really wanted a camera that can produce good photos, even a D40 or a 350D can do it.

Having said that, the D5000 doesn't suck that much. It's easy for beginners to use, especially when shooting kids, where 3D tracking comes in very handy when one is new to AI Servo/AF-C or whatever the other brands call it. The visible AF point is also a nice feature (you can see very clearly which AF point is selected - something my friend using Canon is always jealous about :bsmilie:).

actually yes, this is one of the main reason we're getting a "better" camera. to shoot pictures of our son and have nice pictures for keepsakes. he doesnt stay still, lol, and VERY SELDOM poses for the camera...and our present camera doesnt have that anti-motion thingy, so all we get are blurry swooshes in our pictures! :bsmilie:
I hope that with a DSLR, and after bettering ourselves with some photography basics, we could capture shots of him even in motion. :)

we also wanted to invest in a good DSLR, hoping to have a change from the past three digicams we have been using.

also, my husband and i are both bloggers, and we would like to have quality pictures we could post on our blog. most of our pictures now are either too dark, blurry and too grainy, as our digicam is really very basic with not much features to manipulate.

i don't know if i sound ignorant, thinking that a DSLR can solve all these "issues", therefore am hoping for experienced photographers like all of you here, to dish out handy advices and tips. :)

that said, thank you everyone for being ever so helpful!! :)

since both you and your hubby are newbie in DLR, the first thing you should consider first and formost is: "Will my hubby want to carry this 1kg piece of equipment around?"

my suggestion is to bring your hubby for "window shopping" at places like Courts Tampines where they got a few demo sets. just pretend to causally browse through the demo set and let him feel the thing in his hand. then ask him with a doubltful tone if he really willing to take it out in all family outings (since taking pics of your kid is the prority, i bring mine to playground just to shoot my son), coz if he not too willing then chances are it will turn into a white elephant. i always find reasons/excues to bring my DSLR out, others find reasons/excues to NOT bring it out.

if he is willing to do it:
get the cheapest entry-level from any brand, no point be bothered by the spec and function coz both of you wont fully understand and appreciate what we throw at you. to be safe is either nikon or canon coz you can find 2nd hand lense all around easily. when his skill outgrow the camera then upgrade from there where he already know his shooting style and preference.

lastly, kudo to you for being a loving wife. in my case, i've been planning and saving up for some time for my DSLR. my wife surprised me by buying it first, then often to cover for the remaining balance which i have yet to save up.

Alan, you raised a very good point: the lugging around! :bsmilie:
I will definitely TRY to "discuss" this and see what he says!

and thanks for your suggestions.
I think after reading all the advices here, I have pretty much decided to just get a "basic" one and not be too caught up by all the specs. :)
And if I'm able to spend lower than my set budget, the better, lol!

Thanks, Alan!

Welcome to CS!

Your budget should be able to get you a decent DSLR. The DSLR from all the major brands (Pentax, Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc) will be alright. Just cater approx ~$150 - $300 for accessories (ie. Drybox, cleaning kit, camera bag)

Now, the more impt part.
Try to avoid getting scammed.
Some shops would love a customer coming in declaring that they know nuts about cameras.

1. For prices, check out the Price Guides section of the forum.
2. Check out the consumers corner subforum as well to get an idea of how much accessories can cost.
3. Go to a reputable shop like Cathay Photo, MS Color, OP to check out prices first. Don't just jump in to buy. No obligation to buy from them either.
4. Avoid the Sim Lim Sq shops except OP on lvl 6.
5. Avoid the shops in Funan/Peninsular area as well except for the reputable ones constantly mentioned here in CS (Eg. of good ones : John 3:16, SLR Revolution, Cathay Photo, etc)

Gd luck ;)

Thank you for the warm welcome! :D
to be honest, when I set aside my budget of $1300, I actually did not give the accessories any thought! So i may have to re-evaluate my choices and set aside the recommended amount for accessories.
Shows you how much of a goon I am, huh! :bsmilie:

I will definitely DEFINITELY avoid Sim Lim and Peninsula.
What about places like Harvey Norman and Best Denki? Or should I avoid them too?
i just thought it'll be less intimidating, rather than to walk in to CP and the like!

Also, yes! I will certainly give this forum and its other threads a more thorough read and do my homework before I venture out into the shops! :bsmilie:

Thanks again for being very helpful!

Best to avoid Harvey Norman or Best Denki. These stores are selling at much higher prices. Go take a look at this list. Most of the shops in there are ok. Before you buy anything, it is imperative that you call as many stores as you can to get price quotes. This way, you will be more prepared and in the know.

For me there are a few stores I go mostly.
TK photo (Funan 2nd flr),
SLR Revolution (Funan 5th flr)
Orient Photo (Sim Lim Square 6th floor)
Cathay Photo (Peninsular)

......most of us will not push the barrier on our current cams. We will be already very good if we are able to push our cameras to 95% of its potential. Stop having gear envy, pixel peeping and go out and shoot.

I agree with you whole heartedly.

Thank you for the warm welcome! :D
to be honest, when I set aside my budget of $1300, I actually did not give the accessories any thought! So i may have to re-evaluate my choices and set aside the recommended amount for accessories.
Shows you how much of a goon I am, huh! :bsmilie:

I will definitely DEFINITELY avoid Sim Lim and Peninsula.
What about places like Harvey Norman and Best Denki? Or should I avoid them too?
i just thought it'll be less intimidating, rather than to walk in to CP and the like!

Also, yes! I will certainly give this forum and its other threads a more thorough read and do my homework before I venture out into the shops! :bsmilie:

Thanks again for being very helpful!
Actually it's almost as initimidating, walking into somewhere like Harvey Norman instead of Cathay Photo.
The DSLRs are usually out of reach, and you'll need assistance to get at them.
Worse, you'll be fed with horrible BS from the moron posing as a knowledgeable camera salesman.

Make sure you are armed with some information on features and prices, so you're not suckered into buying things at inflated prices.
All the best in your search! If you are unsure about anything the salesman recommends, walk away and find out about it first... :)