Status
Not open for further replies.
PS: Digital Rebel XT should be the 350D if i recall properly...:sweat:

Yes, 350D - Digital Rebel XT.
400D - Digital Rebel XTi and
300D - Digital Rebel.

Hi likewtfyo,

love your nick BTW ;)

OK, you're a student with a budget.....I understand....I've been there :bsmilie:

Here's the deal (as I see it). The cameras you have named, plus the ones the others have recommended are ALL capable in their own right. Some of them cater to entry level, others to high-end-non-pro.

From what you're telling me, these cameras will out-perform your current abilities (we all have to start somewhere, and we were ALL in your position once).

Truth is, all these cameras are adequate for my shooting purpose. So why did I buy the D200? Cameras are simply tools. ALL of them can get the job done. The D200 is just a better tool compared to the rest (no offence to Canon users). Having a better tool makes getting the job done EASIER. Nonetheless, please keep in mind that having a better tool does not make one a better photographer.

Nowadays, modern cameras and lenses outperform most photographers. The limiting factor now lies not with the equipment, but with the artist.

Take a look at the famous photographers in the past (eg: Ansel Adams). Not many people can come close to the level of his work, even today, with mordern cameras. He achieved his standards using cameras found in the middle of the last century.

Give your photographic basics priority. Go out and shoot, experiment.....digital makes it easier these days. You save lots of money on film and get to see your results/mistakes immediately. One learns faster this way.

Have a look at the way PhotoShop works. It'll help you do post-processing work.

I'm more familiar with Nikon. So I'll go with either D70/s or D80. For lenses, since you're going into people, try Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di (about $640), plus you should get a kit lens as well. Flash, as ExplorerZ has suggested, SB600 or 800 (if necessary).

Once you feel you have reached the limits of this gear, and when you are in a better financial situation, let loose the BBB virus :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Please keep in mind that this is only my personal opinion. Your milage may vary.

Bernard

P.S. : Please do not forget to invest in a dry cabinet to store your expensive kit.

alas a great insight. thanks bernard.
i'm most probably getting the D80 or D70s. :)

i've been lurking here for the past couple of months (say,3 months)? deciding upon a new dslr. i'm looking at a canon 30D, Nikon D70s, and a canon 400D.
i'm pretty much new. the budget for the camera would be about 3K(give or take).
the ability to control the quality of my pictures is quite the "stifling" factor for me. and the focus, off-focus kinda thing.
area of photography- the main subject i want for me should be people. closeups, gigs and maybe a little of scenery. will delve into architecture, just not yet.
i do see myself down the line of photography. may wanna turn it into a career or some sort.then again, for now, it's a hobby i'm dying for. but as foretold by my uncles and friends it's gonna take a toll on my cashflow(i'm a student!).
i've learned about teeny weeny bits of photography in school.(Mass Comm) rule of thirds, **** like that.
some PnS olympus camera. i've tried using my friend's nikon D70s and i love the weight of it.
that's about it. what should i get folks??

maybe i should tell you guys my inspiration to take up photography, awe-inspiring pictures like the piercing stare of an Iraqi(not too sure of the nationality tho') girl which made it to one of the Cover Page of Nat Geo. emotion-evoking pictures like these are what i look to capture.

Hi there. Just read your posts. You are right that photography is a big investment. I noticed you have quite a big budget (3K) but I don't suggest using it all up at one go. For a beginner, I suggest you try out the D80 with Kit lens. Its range is quite good and is definitely more than enough for your purposes (portrait photography and possibly street candids). It is not true that Nikon is for "beginners" and Canon is when you want to get serious with photography. A lot of pro photographers use Nikon. Its just that Canon seems to be more popular in sports photography.

The D80 is also a decent set and is also used by pros so you don't even need to upgrade if you feel you don't need to. The price is also well below your budget (around 1.9K++ right now with the 18-135mm lens). You can use your savings to buy SD cards, a Lowepro pro bag, lens filter/protector and dry cabinet and you will still be below 2.4K. Don't buy anything else. Just save your money, use your camera for a while then decide about your next investment (flash, lens, tripod, etc..) based on what you think is missing. Good luck.

This is out of topic but just wanted to answer a question (sorry)

The girl in Nat Geo is the popular "Afghan Girl". That was an award winning portrait. There was a recent feature by Nat Geo about her. The NG team went back to Afghanistan to look for their former subject. They eventually found her. She is now an old lady with a husband and children. It was interesting because other women approached the Nag Geo team and claimed that they were the Afghan girl. The NG team were only able to make sure by photographing their eyes and looking at certain marks in the pupils.

In any case, she is now a very different girl and you can almost not recognize her from her NG picture. Its only when you look at her piercing eyes, then you will know that its her. One other difficulty of the team is in Afghanistan, all older women had to cover her whole body with only a screen in front of their eyes. That is why it took them a very long time to find the Afghan girl. Even if they walk up to someone and asked if they have seen this girl, they won't necessarily recognize her unless they new the girl when she was younger.

the feature wasn't recent it was dated about 2-3 years back. i grazed past the feature but i can barely remember it.

thanks for the help guys. will be getting a D80 by the end of the month! and please do critique on my pictures. once again, thanks a mil!

thanks for the help guys. will be getting a D80 by the end of the month! and please do critique on my pictures. once again, thanks a mil!

Hi likewtfyo,

just gald I could assist :)

Friendly advice:

Try to imagine the image you want in your mind's eye. Then have a rough idea on how you intend to achieve it (technical method, equipment, setting, view point, etc....). It's easier to shoot good pictures with a little advanced planning IMHO.

Good luck!! :) Don't forget to post your pics :)

Bernard

sorry for this again, anyone knows where to get the cheapest dslr?
i'm looking at a d80. i missed out on a steal just yesterday :(

sorry for this again, anyone knows where to get the cheapest dslr?
i'm looking at a d80. i missed out on a steal just yesterday :(

New or used?

If new, check the section under "Nikon". It has a rather updated price list.

For used, check the Buy & Sell column.

Bernard

thanks i'm most probably getting it by tomorrow :):)

is this a good deal peeps?
Nikon D80kit with 18-135mm len
$2288(inc.gst) free 2 G SD card, electronic cabin 30L, second Original EN-EL3e battery,123 photo imaging software,nikon umbrella,cleaning kit,nikon bag.

is this a good deal peeps?
Nikon D80kit with 18-135mm len
$2288(inc.gst) free 2 G SD card, electronic cabin 30L, second Original EN-EL3e battery,123 photo imaging software,nikon umbrella,cleaning kit,nikon bag.
not bad. but i think those $19xx package with just 1GB card seems better.

this one got second battery and dry cabinet :S

do you think they'll allow me to swap the umbrella and the imaging software for a tripod or something?

Think I've decided on Canon 400D.

Any relatively bad opinions on why I shouldn't get it?

No bad opinion. I own my first camera Panasonic FZ10 in June 2004 before I got my D80 in Sept 2006. I like 400D but just don't fit my requirement. If you know what you want and like... Then go for it. But do your home work thoroughly...

Status
Not open for further replies.