Need opinions on which Entry-level SLR to buy? Nikon/Sony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wah slr rev sell so cheap? Is tat price before or after gst? Ms color selling A500 kit for $1190 when I check last month!

Last edited:
Below are the prices for D3000 and A500 from SLR Revo.

D3000 kit - $813 (early Nov)

A500 kit - $1067 (last week)

Kit = Body + kit lens + 1 memory card.

wah the A500 kit so cheap!!any idea how much A550 is there?

So far Canon is the only one uses lens to AF. The main advantage, it can AF faster or maybe silently. Nikon or Sony sees the advantage. Sony is developing SSM for their lens too.

Good luck in your choice. Since it's ur parent paying, do more research.. take care.

Ahh... Are you from 1980? Sony and Nikon, as well at Sigma and Tamron, all have SSM-enabled lenses. Minolta had them too back when they were still around.

Saying "canon is the only one" is extremely wrong.

Below are the prices for D3000 and A500 from SLR Revo.

D3000 kit - $813 (early Nov)

A500 kit - $1067 (last week)

Kit = Body + kit lens + 1 memory card.

SLR Revo has good prices. The A230 kit should be about 600, the A330 about 800 too.

hmm, when i started out, i didn't have faith in buying second hand goods. so i decided to go for a first hand entry-level nikon dslr. if i were to make a choice again. i'd rather buy a second hand entry dslr, (cheaper) and over time as i master the basics, i will then invest on a first hand more "pro" dslr.
just my thoughts.. for entry i think D40-D80 is good enough no? a second hand kit might cost about 500-600? then with that extra 300 that you saved you might want to get another lense in the future

Ahh... Are you from 1980? Sony and Nikon, as well at Sigma and Tamron, all have SSM-enabled lenses. Minolta had them too back when they were still around.

Saying "canon is the only one" is extremely wrong.

I meant Canon is the only one that design their body for AF on lens only(USM). Third Party of course have to follow to sell canon mount lens.Others mixture of body and lens AF can? Others are following Canon's success in the 1989:bigeyes:

minolta ssm lens never really sell as it was too expensive if I remember correctly.

Ok..Ok..buy Alpha...:bsmilie:
BTW, u work for Alpha?

Last edited:
I meant Canon is the only one that design their body for AF on lens only. Third Party of course have to follow to sell canon mount lens.Others mixture of body and lens AF can? Others are following Canon's success in the 1989:bigeyes:

minolta ssm lens never really sell as it was too expensive if I remember correctly.

Ok..Ok..buy Alpha...:bsmilie:

whaahahahahaha......................sorry but can't help it, first is ask people buy D3k and D5k becuz got more lens options then now this hehehe..........wat cam u using?

Last edited:
whaahahahahaha......................sorry but can't help it, first is ask people buy D3k and D5k becuz got more lens options then now this hehehe..........wat cam u using?

Canon user lah (but once a Minolta user too unil they gone burst)..although not loyal one but love the system,..also I am not working for Canon.
Sony presence here seems stronger..haha;p Maybe I should switch camp again..hehe

Hope the TS won't be too confused..sorry

Last edited:
Hi after reading through...i realise some stuff.
1) u dun have a budget as you are still a student
2) you are going to upgrade but not so soon.
3) you are leaning more towards nikon than sony.

so let me provide some insights
1) since no $ why not get d60? to me d60 is everything similar to d3000 except for live view and video which is really really really useless. okie maybe not the video part. but live view - is just useless(except in times when u give other newbie to shoot). the video also not that gd....my handphone can also take video
2) since u are not upgrading soon. there are tons of cheap lens with in built motor that you can play with. 1) 18-55, 55-200 both comes with motor and they are the cheapest lens in nikon arena. going anything for better lens (f2.8 lens) can buy already buy 3 d3000. even third party lens cost more than 500. so forget the conflict between IS in body or out of body!. You just need to shoot sharp photos, and there are tons of ways to do it without IS. Heck my IS/VR is off most of the time !
3) to tempt u a little have u see pink/yellow/purple/white k-x pentax yet? lol guess for a girl getting something not a black dslr (so man) is impt!. i saw some k-x selling on bns for 880!

i guess i am only making u think more! hahaha.!

Hi after reading through...i realise some stuff.
1) u dun have a budget as you are still a student
2) you are going to upgrade but not so soon.
3) you are leaning more towards nikon than sony.

so let me provide some insights
1) since no $ why not get d60? to me d60 is everything similar to d3000 except for live view and video which is really really really useless. okie maybe not the video part. but live view - is just useless(except in times when u give other newbie to shoot). the video also not that gd....my handphone can also take video
2) since u are not upgrading soon. there are tons of cheap lens with in built motor that you can play with. 1) 18-55, 55-200 both comes with motor and they are the cheapest lens in nikon arena. going anything for better lens (f2.8 lens) can buy already buy 3 d3000. even third party lens cost more than 500. so forget the conflict between IS in body or out of body!. You just need to shoot sharp photos, and there are tons of ways to do it without IS. Heck my IS/VR is off most of the time !
3) to tempt u a little have u see pink/yellow/purple/white k-x pentax yet? lol guess for a girl getting something not a black dslr (so man) is impt!. i saw some k-x selling on bns for 880!

D60? That's even worse than D3000...

And u buy a lens with IS, just to turn the IS off most of the time

What a great idea...

And since when did d3000 comes with live view and movie mode?

Ur post contains so many misleading information.

Last edited:
It's not stupid to turn off IS/VR if the need doesn't call for it. Please don't be so insulting.

Yes, wildsoyabean got the facts mixed up.

I didn't say its stupid wat. I said its a great idea lol

And regarding his post that live view is useless... lemme post some pictures tonite when I get home. Live view is far from useless, in the hand of people who knows how to use it.

gwend-n, do you intend to make videos with your dslr?

Thought of it but decided that I don't need to do videos so yeah. Should be fine to get one without video function :)

Canon user lah (but once a Minolta user too unil they gone burst)..although not loyal one but love the system,..also I am not working for Canon.
Sony presence here seems stronger..haha;p Maybe I should switch camp again..hehe

Hope the TS won't be too confused..sorry

Haha no worries :) Very interesting to see everyone's point of view :D Isn't Canon quite expensive?

LOL yeah you're making me think more! I was thinking I should settle for Sony (yeah I got no budget but aiyah.. its my parents that are paying so I don't want them to pay so much for something that isn't as good -- Comparing Sony A330/300 to Nikon D3k) till I saw your "You're leaning more to Nikon than Sony" sentence!! WAHHHHHH ;p

LOL yeah you're making me think more! I was thinking I should settle for Sony (yeah I got no budget but aiyah.. its my parents that are paying so I don't want them to pay so much for something that isn't as good -- Comparing Sony A330/300 to Nikon D3k) till I saw your "You're leaning more to Nikon than Sony" sentence!! WAHHHHHH ;p

Just try both and trust your gut instinct. If you feel like "I like the Nikon" then get Nikon. If you feel like "I like the Sony" then get the Sony.

Haha no worries :) Very interesting to see everyone's point of view :D Isn't Canon quite expensive?

True..Canon seems more expensive comparing to the rest especially spec by spec. Thats why last time I got minolta. However after switching to canon system, it was a joy especially it meet my changing needs in subjects.

But in long run, especiall I shopped in the used market, I save quite abit.
But since u are starting out, u may consider a value for money system new system. Learn from it.

BTW do u have friends using any systems? Good to be the same with them, can borrow here and there.

D60? That's even worse than D3000...

And u buy a lens with IS, just to turn the IS off most of the time

What a great idea...

And since when did d3000 comes with live view and movie mode?

Ur post contains so many misleading information.

my bad. always mix up d3000 with d5000.

1 didnt buy a lens with IS for the IS its comes with it as a kit which i sold it off (18-55 VR). when you take enough landscapes on a tripod you tend to off your VR/VC and forget to on it back. when shooting long enough you will find yourself shooting in the right shutter speed 1/"zoom range" s for sharp photos even without VR. and in conditions that I would need VR, i would being using flash or a tripod...hence it remains off most of the time...except on some rare instance that im shooting birds/ spying and my iso is already more than 2000. then i will use IS

why is d60 NOT worse than d3000?
1) d60 is cheaper than d3000
2) d60 use the same sensor as d3000 - heck even d40 uses CCD sensor.
as a result d60, d40, d3000 produces pretty much the same photo using the same lens.
3) the only difference i see it is : 11 focus point vs 3 focus point (which dun really matter if you know how to focus lock) and 3" Lcd vs 2.5" lcd.

the guide mode in d3000 dont impress me. i buy a camera to shoot not to read about how to do shooting. the few extra bucks paid to buy a d3000 for 11 focus point and 3"LCD and guide mode, can probably buy me a 35mm f1.8 or maybe a 2nd handed sb600 or a 2nd handed 55-200mm.!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.