Need help with Godox X1 system

pwnies5600

Oct 29, 2014
Clementi
Recently bought a set of Godox X1 transmitter and receiver since I wanted to try off camera flash with my Nissin Di866 Mark II. However I haven't quite been able to figure out how to get the flash to fire.

The triggers seem to talk to each other and the status button lights up. It's just the speedlight that isn't firing. I did suspect it was some sort of problem with the receiver side hotshoe where the speedlight is mounted, though the speedlight seems to be able to detect the mode being used.

I also noticed that the speedlite always reverts back to TTL even when using manual mode on the transmitter side. Could it be a problem with the hotshoe on the receiver? Do the settings below look right? Or perhaps it's just the speedlight that isn't compatible?

$Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 1.02.13 AM.jpg

Nissin Di866 mk2 is ttl flash.

I'm assuming the flash can be triggered/fired by it's own test button then
do some simple tests.

1. Mount flash to reciever and turn it on and also the flash.Wait until flash is ready or charged up.
Press the test button on the reciever to see if it fires the flash.
If it fires then reciever is working.

2.Use the transmitter as standalone and turn it on (M mode).Press the test/trigger button to trigger flash on reciever.If this works then transmitter and reciever are working.

3. Mount transmitter with power turned off to camera hotshoe.
Godox states that transmitter must be turned on before the camera.
Now half press the shutter button if transmitter has gone to sleep mode
to wake transmitter up. Press test shutter button fully to see if flash
fires.If successful then godox is working.

Hope this helps as I don't use godox.Just intuitive common sense.
Please read godox and camera manual for better understanding.

Thank you for your help! The receiver isn't firing the flash though the flash can detect when HSS is enabled on the triggers. Flash still fires with the test / pilot button or on camera. I will bring it to my friend's studio to try out with a 600exrtII and studio strobes.

Will update in due time.

Thank you for your help! The receiver isn't firing the flash though the flash can detect when HSS is enabled on the triggers. Flash still fires with the test / pilot button or on camera. I will bring it to my friend's studio to try out with a 600exrtII and studio strobes.

Will update in due time.

Studio flash may fire as it's linked via PC cable and socket.Hotshoe on reciever may be defective,suspect a wire break inside to pcb.Do note that godox X1 transmitter defaults pc socket as INPUT so you may need to set/configure
the FN custom function as OUTPUT in order to fire studio flash via PC cable link. See instruction manual for settings. It's C/N (if canon/nikon)FN 03 for PC socket.

Update: It just seems to be my speedlight, both the 600EXRT-II and the strobes worked perfectly fine be it via hotshoe or PC sync. Will try fiddling with my speedlight and update.

Update: It just seems to be my speedlight, both the 600EXRT-II and the strobes worked perfectly fine be it via hotshoe or PC sync. Will try fiddling with my speedlight and update.

Sorry to say but Nissin i866 mk2 is not compatible with Godox X1 transmitter/reciever system. Why would godox bother when they have their own speedlites? It's official...here is the cut and paste from this web page:

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-476410-1.html

gviprasath

Brucej67 wrote:
The answer is yes. I have 2 transmitters and 4 receivers and use them with Nikon flashes and Metz flashes as well as Nissin. They will work with any flash designed to be triggered by Nikon natively.

Thanks Mr. Brucej67 for your explanation.

Meanwhile I wrote an email to service support of godox and I got replied saying as per below in their own words copied & pasted here.

About the questions you mentioned,
Our product X1N can not compatible with NISSIN DI 866 MARK II flash and YONGNUO YN685N.

I suggest that you can choose our flashes,
due to our Godox X system,
all the products can compatible with each other.
And has more brands for Canon,Sony,Fuji,Olympus/Panasonic,
and later will have Pentax etc.
In addition, the Radio Master mode can fire and control the complete Godox 2.4GHz Flash System,
including cross compatibility with Godox 2.4GHz slave strobes for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus/Panasonic, and Fuji.

(that the system is not compatible with the Nissin (Di 866 Mark II) & that of the Yongnuo (Yn 685N) flashes.)

Edit: the Nissin mentioned is i466.

Last edited:
Ah ok. Seems that I'll have to buy Canon or Godox then. At least I can still the Nissin as a manual flash. Thanks for the help!

On a separate note, should I get Canon's 430EXIII RT or Godox's V860II or TT350 if I just want to experiment with off camera flash?

Ah ok. Seems that I'll have to buy Canon or Godox then. At least I can still the Nissin as a manual flash. Thanks for the help!

On a separate note, should I get Canon's 430EXIII RT or Godox's V860II or TT350 if I just want to experiment with off camera flash?

canon 430ex3 RT is a bit low powered guide no:43 so outdoor may be insuffcient if you want to overpower the sun. For ttl flash as mention by you they seem to have issues, see this page: All 34pgs. of it.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1444958&page=1

The ts repairs godox and have lots of insider info so read carefully.Overall each brand has it's pros and cons. I don't want to influence you but a hint whether manual or ttl get a flash that can zoom to 200mm. :)