Need help to get macro lens (loss)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldozer

Jun 15, 2009
hi all, I am a newbie looking to photograph macro and i have seen many beautiful drangofly
macro shots that can even review the grids in the drangonfly eye.

I am current having an Olympus 520 with kit lense. I just could not get this kind of magnification. I am planinng to get a dedicated macro lens, can all sifu here help me to select a lens that can do just that. Or if u have such a lens that u do not need, U can also PM me to negotiate.
Any brand lens also can as long as it can fit into my camera body and do the job. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

A dedicated will definitely give you a better magnification as compared to your kit lens. I'm sure Olympus have it's own macro lenses. For 3rd party ones, I'm not sure if any of the following lenses have 4/3 mount though. You can try checking with the shops.

Sigma 70mm
Tamron 90mm
Sigma 105mm
Sigma 150mm
Tamron 180mm
Sigma 180mm

you can use extension tubes and/or closeup filters (raynox, etc) or teleconverters . the former will have light falloff problems, the second will have depth of field and IQ problems, i cannot remember what the last one's problem is.

but anyways, for what macro lens to use, it depends on the subject, it isn't as simple as "oh, buy macro lens" and then try to shoot. some subjects (e.g. butterflies) are better coupled with longer working distances, so you want a longer focal length. dragonflies are more forgiving subjects, if you intend to shoot them, then other than something as short as 50mm macro, maybe tamron 90mm , which is very value for money, will do the job.. given that you learn how to approach insects properly, and what to do.

read up more about macro photography, then you will be empowered with at least a rough sense of what you should be thinking about, and then get the lens that best suits your needs. just getting a macro lens "for the sake of being able to shoot macro".. seems very silly to me, if you don't mind me saying.

i had read some reviews on macro lenses when i was researching and deciding which one to buy...

i had read a few articles about problems of Sigma lenses mounted on Olympus body... you might wanna google it before you make your choice...

hope this help...

Tokina: MF AT-X 90/2.5Macro one of the best top 19 lens

believe me for getting a good macro, you need MF not AF, and there are many adapter to convert lens between different mount and body!

reverse mount and tube also a great way

Last edited:
A dedicated will definitely give you a better magnification as compared to your kit lens. I'm sure Olympus have it's own macro lenses. For 3rd party ones, I'm not sure if any of the following lenses have 4/3 mount though. You can try checking with the shops.

Sigma 70mm
Tamron 90mm
Sigma 105mm
Sigma 150mm
Tamron 180mm
Sigma 180mm

Only Sigma 105mm F2.8 and Sigma 150F2.8 is available for 4/3 mount.

TS,

I will recommend Sigma 105mm F2.8. it is good, light, sharp and easy to use but only trade off from me is no tripod collar.

Otherwise wait for Olympus Zuiko Digital 100mm Macro lens which no one know when will it going to be release.

Sigma has the 105mm and 150mm macros for the 4/3 mount, both give 1:1 magnification for 135, meaning a 2:1 magnification for 4/3. Olympus has the 35mm and 50mm macro. The 35mm gives 1:1 magnification in 4/3 terms, the 50mm gives 1:2. To take shots of dragonfly eyes you need even higher magnification.

Thank you all sifu for the reply, but the suggested selection given was too many models, is it possible to suggest the best magnification so that I can photo the grid in the eye of the drangonfly.
It is really my dream to take this sort of photographs. Sorry I am really confuse???

Thanks again

Thank you all sifu for the reply, but the suggested selection given was too many models, is it possible to suggest the best magnification so that I can photo the grid in the eye of the drangonfly.
It is really my dream to take this sort of photographs. Sorry I am really confuse???

Thanks again

1:1 mag should be enough to capture the compound eyes of dragonflies in detail since they're quite big.

any of the suggested lenses will be able to give you 1:1 macro. i suggest the 105 macro since the focal length can double up for portrait use (150 may be too long, esp on 4/3 sensor?) and it might be slightly easier to use handheld than a longer focal length. cheaper too.

There is only a few macro lenses for 4/3 systems.

Here are the macro lenses for 4/3:
Olympus:
Zuiko Digital 35mm F3.5 Macro
Zuiko Digital ED 50mm F2.0 Macro

Sigma:
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro

I heard that the 35mm F3.5 is not as good as compared to the rest.

But for a start, I'll recommend a close-up filter to play around.
Get at +4 or a +8 close-up filter, mount it on the 40-150mm lens.

If you really like macro shots, then invest in a macro lens.
For me, I don't really like macro, I prefer close-ups shots, I normally use a +4 or +8 close-up filter. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.