Need help on serious filter set up...

kriegsketten

Apr 7, 2010
Southern Enclave
Okay, I've just got my UWA...the next thing to look into are the filters...

Please see if I'm sane in my decision in the filter set up (my lens have a 77 mm filter thread):
1) Step up adaptor 77 mm to 82 mm (for the Circular Polariser)
2) 82 mm CPL
3) 82 mm adaptor ring for the 100mm slot in filter holder which will hold all the NDs and GNDs...

When using the above setup, I'd remove the clear glass protector first.

The reason for the above is simple, I don't want to get Kaiserman / Lee C-PLs for their filter holders - they are horribly $$$!

Second reason for the 82 mm CPL instead of 77 mm...simply to avoid any possible vignetting if stopped down to f/8-f/11 for landscape photography...

Will the above set up work? And will I be able to rotate the CPL independent of the 100mm Filter holders? (could be a bit cumbersome of course)...

Now... am I insane or sound? Feel free to comment and critique on the set up...

Last edited:

Please see if I'm sane in my decision in the filter set up (my lens have a 77 mm filter thread):
2) 82 mm CPL
3) 82 mm adaptor ring for the 100mm slot in filter holder which will hold all the NDs and GNDs...

The reason for the above is simple, I don't want to get Kaiserman / Lee C-PLs for their filter holders - they are horribly $$$!

Second reason for the 82 mm CPL instead of 77 mm...simply to avoid any possible vignetting if stopped down to f/8-f/11 for landscape photography...

Will the above set up work? And will I be able to rotate the CPL independent of the 100mm Filter holders? (could be a bit cumbersome of course)...

Bro, CPL for UWA is not very useful. You will get uneven polarization.

It will look like this:
http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00C/00Cw15-24751284.jpg

For UWA, your only good option is to use GNDs.

Just get a Lee or Hitech filter holder, with 77mm adapter. And get Hitech ND8(0.9), GND4(0.6) and GND8(0.9) filters. Good enough.

Last edited:

It will look like this:

Just get a Lee or Hitech filter holder, with 77mm adapter. And get Hitech ND8(0.9), GND4(0.6) and GND8(0.9) filters. Good enough.

Wow! Sounds like a more straight forward solution to my overkill / "over-engineered" setup! Thanks bro!

It will look like this:

yup, don't need to squeeze your brain liao...get the square GND instead of screw in...

yup, don't need to squeeze your brain liao...get the square GND instead of screw in...

Thanks!! I rather get slapped silly now instead of spending all the buckaroos and end up with wasted equipments. :bsmilie:

I'll reserve the C-PL for the longer reach lenses then...

Bro, off-hand do you have any idea how much this setup will cost. I was actually looking at getting the same as what bro kriegsketten has mentioned in his 1st post.

Bro, off-hand do you have any idea how much this setup will cost. I was actually looking at getting the same as what bro kriegsketten has mentioned in his 1st post.

He already got this set up.. think total damage hover in the region of $300-400 odd ;)

2) 82 mm CPL

Yes, u are insane.. :bsmilie:

As mentioned by most before (including big bro DD123). we strongly discourage the use of CPL on UWA because of the wide band, it basically suck in so much sky that uneven polarisation is bound to happen.. CPl if u get Slim profile kinds, most wont have vignetting..
Well, i m using the B+W Slim one (my previous Kenko Pro1 CPL Slim also don encounter this issue)

Yes, u are insane.. :bsmilie:

As mentioned by most before (including big bro DD123). we strongly discourage the use of CPL on UWA because of the wide band, it basically suck in so much sky that uneven polarisation is bound to happen.. CPl if u get Slim profile kinds, most wont have vignetting..
Well, i m using the B+W Slim one (my previous Kenko Pro1 CPL Slim also don encounter this issue)

Thanks for keeping in check of my sanity! :bsmilie: Better insane now than after spending the bucks!

Will skip the C-PL for my UWA then. Slim one, means no filter thread in front right / plus tapered open?

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping in check of my sanity! :bsmilie: Better insane now than after spending the bucks!

Will skip the C-PL for my UWA then. Slim one, means no filter thread in front right / plus tapered open?

Yes,B+W slim CPL do not have any thread infront of the lens

Yes,B+W slim CPL do not have any thread infront of the lens

Danke. Clearer than ever!

Thanks bros. :)

So you're really going the insane route?? LOL I think still can get Adaptor + bracket + ND + GND first, CPL can add later if the current set-up not insane enough. :bsmilie:

So you're really going the insane route?? LOL I think still can get Adaptor + bracket + ND + GND first, CPL can add later if the current set-up not insane enough. :bsmilie:

Price is steep, will have to save up first. Meanwhile, maybe will just grab a set of Tianya ones first. ;)

Price is steep, will have to save up first. Meanwhile, maybe will just grab a set of Tianya ones first. ;)

Yeah I know, maybe try Tianya first. Don't follow my footsteps - I've been poisoned silly... Trust me, my first results will pale in greater comparison to Nightmare's, Tianya/Lee/Hitech or whatever! After that, I'll probably buy a loaf of Gardinia bread and fill in between with Hitech filter salamis for sandwich lunch... :sweatsm: *crunch, crunch, yum...tastes a bit grey though, crunch*

Last edited:
Yeah I know, maybe try Tianya first. Don't follow my footsteps - I've been poisoned silly... Trust me, my first results will pale in greater comparison to Nightmare's, Tianya/Lee/Hitech or whatever! After that, I'll probably buy a loaf of Gardinia bread and fill in between with Hitech filter salamis for sandwich lunch... :sweatsm: *crunch, crunch, yum...tastes a bit grey though, crunch*

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:. Enjoy your lunch.

Last I checked, 100mm filter holder from Hitech and Lee both cost around the same at 120+. The ring adapter for Hitech is 60+ and Lee is 90+. Hitech ND is $60 a piece. GND is $200 for a set of 3 (0.3, 0.6 and 0.9). I am not sure how much it cost per piece. Should be around 70+.

These are prices from TK Foto. You can give them a call to get accurate quotes.

Hope this helps! ;)

Last I checked, 100mm filter holder from Hitech and Lee both cost around the same at 120+. The ring adapter for Hitech is 60+ and Lee is 90+. Hitech ND is $60 a piece. GND is $200 for a set of 3 (0.3, 0.6 and 0.9). I am not sure how much it cost per piece. Should be around 70+.

Hope this helps! ;)

Thanks bro. :)

Hope this helps! ;)

Thanks man! Saves me the memory work... I asked them a few times already - keep forgetting the exact figures (next time I'll take notes).