Need help on MF with D60

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Hi, I have recently brought my d60 and tried using the kit lens for quite awhile.
I went to loan a 50mm 1.8 from Camera Rental and i use it with my D60.
I read up on how to manual focus but every time i try to focus with the 50mm 1.8 lens, most of the time the images will be blur despite the green dot being present there. I also notice that the green dot will stay there for quite a small range.

Any pros can help/advice on this? I will be greatful :D

Baracus

Mar 24, 2008
The Far East
It could be due to camera shake. Make sure your shutter speed is more than your focal length. In your case, >1/50. Small range of focus is due to shallow DOF. Use f4 or higher aperture.

Jamesf

Apr 1, 2008
Island East
Hi, I have recently brought my d60 and tried using the kit lens for quite awhile.
I went to loan a 50mm 1.8 from Camera Rental and i use it with my D60.
I read up on how to manual focus but every time i try to focus with the 50mm 1.8 lens, most of the time the images will be blur despite the green dot being present there. I also notice that the green dot will stay there for quite a small range.

Any pros can help/advice on this? I will be greatful :D
Hope this will help:
- make sure your subject is not closer than the minimum focusing distance of the lens
- with aperture wide open, the DOF is shallow and render other part of the subject not in focus especially if the subject is very closed
- handshake while releasing shutter will cause blur, especially if the shutter speed is slow as the 50mm lens has no VR
- if subject is near, the in-focus range is small (thus the green dot range), especially when wide open

By the way, I am no pro but using D60 with MF lenses quite often. ;)

Mar 13, 2007
Atlanta, GA
for widest apertures, do note that DOF of lenses usually occur as a thin plane.. if you cannot get enough DOF.. tilt the camera and adjust till the subject is within the plane of focus...

luna_sea83

Jul 17, 2005
East
use the rangefinder feature on the cam, its much better then depending on the dot

yup, try turning on the rangefinder.. it'll complement the use of the focus indicator. pg 116 of ur manual should give a pretty good idea on how to interpret the rangefinder display. :)

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Hi, Thanks all for the helpful comments :D
I wanted to use the rangefinder but I find the indicator and the dot is roughly the same and also I cannot use it on M mode.
And to Mr psychobiologist I don't really know what you meant by tilt my camera that part, you mind explaining?
I think the dot and the focus indicator in the rangefinder as it will say its focus within a certain range like when you rotate slight bit of the ring it will still say its focus but in actual fact a tiny bit already blur the image quite alot ( correct me if I am wrong )

I will attach my pictures below

Really Appreciate the help :)

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Maybe I should have bought 450D...?

The eye part looks oof
Don't care about the colors

luna_sea83

Jul 17, 2005
East
keep shooting with the rangefinder feature, use aperture mode. thats how i start it off, soon u be used to MF :)

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Is there any other way? cause i want to tweak my shutter speed and aperture as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom