Need help in choosing macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

castor

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Hi All:

I would like to try out macro photography and as such would like to invest in a macro lens. As I am shooting primarily insects, thus, I may need a longer working distance. Currently, I targeted Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM but I am not sure if 150mm is sufficient for shooting insects such as butterflies. My budget is around S$850. Any comments is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

ello~! it's me ;)

Good to see that u made a choice to get a dedicated macro. I would say go ahead and buy it cuz u can tell me later on if it's good or not :bsmilie: But seriously, it seems rather good from the reviews in FM. I think it got the highest rating of 9.6 among all other 3rd party macros.

Comparing with conventional 100 F2.8 and 180 F3.5, I think 150 F2.8 seems like the best value for quantity, perphaps quality also.

FYI, from this thread, TK sells for $1050/w GST and OP sells for $860 (cash I think, but shop warranty)

Would appreciate others' inputs too if you have hands-on experience with it. Thanks!

go for either the tamron 180 f3.5 or this...

Hi All:

I would like to try out macro photography and as such would like to invest in a macro lens. As I am shooting primarily insects, thus, I may need a longer working distance. Currently, I targeted Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM but I am not sure if 150mm is sufficient for shooting insects such as butterflies. My budget is around S$850. Any comments is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Which camera are you using? Then again, at your budget, you won't be looking at any of the original camera brand macro lenses.

If you're only targetting insects, a 100mm is more than enough. But if you're looking for skittish butterflies, then you'd need more than that. I'm having a lil trouble with my 90mm Tamron macro for shooting the more skittish ones... For those, I'd believe you'd do better with a 150 - 200 onwards and likely, you won't need the macro function as you'd be shooting at a range of 2 m or so...

For a start, if you wish to take butterflies, perhaps you can try the 70-300mm APO macro. It can provide a reasonable picture at a good distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.